Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Viking sign back-up center.

The Vikes signed Billy Conaty (formerly of Buffalo and Dallas) to back-up Withrow. I really get the feeling around here that Lewis Kelly is not going to work out (hope I am wrong), terrible thing what happened to his wife.

Was hoping he would come around and be able to take over for Dixon after this year.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Re: Viking sign back-up center.

"whackthepack" wrote:
    The Vikes signed Billy Conaty (formerly of Buffalo and Dallas) to back-up Withrow. I really get the feeling around here that Lewis Kelly is not going to work out (hope I am wrong), terrible thing what happened to his wife.

Was hoping he would come around and be able to take over for Dixon after this year.

Lewis kelly has dropped off the face of the planet. He was benched today, for snapping the ball over feroote's head in shotgun. It sounds like a bunch of lineman are ahead of him and I would bet a ton of money he gets released eventually.

I think Nat dorsey, our 4th round pick, will take over for dixon. Even though he has sturggled during training camp so far, he has a lot of talent. He is raw and should blossom under Tice.

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

whackthepack where did you hear that?

http://www.kfan.com/vikings/camp2004/notebook/080404_am.html

I just read that article on kfan that said we worked him out but that they weren't impressed and did not sign him!

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

I read the same thing....that they worked him out but weren't impressed and didn't sign him.

At any rate, Birk "supposedly" will only miss about three weeks and will be ready for the opener.

This will be a good opportunity for Withrow to shine and earn his paycheck.

The other thing I read was that the Vikings were going to try out free agent Anthony Herrera as a backup center. The news I'm hearing out of training camp is that Lewis Kelly is not looking good and may be on the bubble.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

I read somewhere that they had signed him (or I wouldn't have put it on here) I will try and find it.

So excuse me for putting up faulty information.

But I still am hearing that Lewis is not doing well and he was supposed to be or back-up guard.

If one of the young guys don't step up we are thin on the line.

"triedandtruevikesfan" wrote:
    whackthepack where did you hear that?

http://www.kfan.com/vikings/camp2004/notebook/080404_am.html

I just read that article on kfan that said we worked him out but that they weren't impressed and did not sign him!
    Birk Out 3-4 Weeks
    By Viking Update Staff
    Date: Aug 5, 2004

With Mike Tice standing by his guarantee from team medical staff that he will be ready for opening day of the regular season, center Matt Birk underwent surgery Wednesday to repair is what is being termed a sports hernia.

The Vikes finally got an answer to the haunting question that has bothered them since last weekend – what’s wrong with Matt Birk?

They got the answer Wednesday after Birk had exploratory arthroscopic surgery. The cause of his pain at the joint connecting his left and right pelvis was a sports hernia – likely caused by the twisting and turning under violent conditions that NFL centers must endure.

The prognosis is that Birk will be sidelined for three to four weeks. He’s hoping to be back for the third preseason game, but VU is being told he will likely play only in the preseason finale and then it will likely be just a cameo appearance that he, Daunte Culpepper and Randy Moss will likely be asked to do for precaution’s sake.

THURSDAY NOTES
    * NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue is scheduled to be on hand for the Vikings practice with the Chiefs on Friday.
    * Birk Backup Plan Part I – the Vikes are expected to formally announce the signing of free agent center Billy Conaty today.
    * Birk Backup Plan Part II – at Wednesday’s practice, the Vikes moved rookie guard Anthony Herrara to center to get some work at the position.
    * Dontarrious Thomas has looked very good since signing his contract and, with Mike Nattiel sidelined with an ankle injury, Thomas has worked his way into the lead in the battle for a starting job. After lauding Nattiel over the weekend, Mike Tice said Wednesday about Nattiel’s chances to reclaim the No. 1 spot – “It will be hard for him to move ahead.”
    * Jermaine Wiggins isn’t short on confidence. Having played in two of the last three Super Bowls – both of which he played well in – he said Wednesday that he could be in the same category as Tony Gonzalez and Todd Heap if the offense wants him to fill that role. If nothing else, you have to like his belief in his ability.
    * Rookie linebacker Grant Wiley suffered a separated right shoulder and is likely to be placed on injured reserve today.

My sources are saying that they offered him the contract yesterday, and that he will be signed today. :salute:

would not be the first time dot com tom has been wrong.

little redhead is offline Asst. Coach

This is just in as I was listening to Kfan- Thursday 10:37 am... We cut Lewis Kelly and signed Conaty the center and also signed a corner back cut by chicago. Also cut was Grant Wiley.

Don't mean to say I was right, but I was.

I have my sources and they are usually reliable, they have been saying since mini-camps that Kelly was not improving and that his head wasn't in it. Apparently he can't get over the loss of his wife and unborn child, the coaching staff was at a loss with him and brought him to camp hoping one last time that he would turn it around.

Sorry to hear that he was cut cause he has had it rough the last 2 years.

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

lol... I wasn't out to prove you wrong!! KFan is usually pretty reliable though so I was just confused!

Lewis Kelly was drafted when Dennis Green was here, maybe with Denny cutting their center they might need a back-up lineman. Maybe Lewis can help them and a fresh start might make the difference for him?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast