Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    TEXPACK is offline Pro-Bowler

Viking players Hate the Cardinals

My bad, I thought this was from the combine.

Draft Analysis: Minnesota Vikings
    Posted: Sunday June 07, 1998 07:54 PM

Randy Moss
    1st round, 21st overall
    Receiver, Marshall
    Comments: Had the potential to be a top-five pick, and Vikes got a steal at No. 21. Will play on the outside in three-receiver sets, opening up star receiver Cris Carter underneath, and RB Robert Smith in the run game ... could be best pick of draft

Randy Moss
    WR, Marshall
    Name Jsy College HT WT
    Randy Moss 88 Marshall 6033 203
    40 BP SS LS VJ BJ Grade Rd.
    4.39 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A 7.55 1

Background
    1997- Won the Biletnikoff Award given to the best receiver...placed 4th in the Heisman Trophy balloting...finished the season with an NCAA record 25 TD receptions...voted 1st team all-MAC by the league’s coaches...finished 4th in voting for the Maxwell Award, given to the most outstanding collegiate player...one of five finalists for the FOOTBALL NEWS Offensive Player of the Year...set school record with 1820 yds. receiving in a season...rated by Sporting News as the top receiver in college football...1996- His 28 TDs were the most ever in a single season...scored at least one TD in every game...named 1st team All-American by all five awarding organizations...set NCAA 1-AA record with most games catching a TD pass...despite only playing one year in the league, tied the Southern Conference record for TD receptions in a career with 28...led the NCAA 1-AA in kickoff returns...finished the regular season 6th overall in NCAA history in TD receptions...1995- Transferred from Florida St...redshirted...
    Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will all be judged by only one thing - the result." --Vince Lombardi

RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer

It happens Tex, just gotta read your analysis more carefully. Half the Draft sites on the net aren't legit. Hell, I found one where Deion Sanders ran a 4.5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

Jer
    Jer is offline Rookie

We have 2 Pro-Bowlers in Flanagan and Rivera. Wahle was voted All-Pro by s.i. Wahle should have gone to the Pro-Bowl last year. Chad Clifton gave up 1 1/2 sacks last year at left tackle. We gave up 19 sacks! Our 3 rb's had 5 yard averages or more, Green 5.3, Davenport 5.5, and Fisher 5.0. Our lowest guy is Tauscher and he was coming off of a season ending injury last year as was Clifton. Tascher is looking even better than he was before he had the injury. Tauscher doesn't get called for holding much either. In 01' he didn't have any holding calls on him. Kevin Barry is good enough to be a starter on half the teams in the league. He's something like 6'5" and he weighs 330 pounds. He is in great shape this year. You guys have the biggest O-line in the leauge, but that doesn't mean you guys have the best in the league. If it makes you feel any better I have a feeling that we will drop down a little bit after this year when we lose Wahle and/or Rivera to FA after this season. I think we'll keep Rivera, but Wahle will be looking for a big paycheck. Barry will take that spot. We have this guy from the CFL named Steve Morley-he's a giant and is looking better in training camp-quick learner. We are the best now and should be top 5 still next year as long as we keep one of our two fa's.

Our group of rb's is tops in the league right now. The O-line gets a lot of credit for that. That should make more sense to you.

RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer

Yes, it makes sense, except that I never said the Vikings O line was better. Reading comprehension.

But I DO believe we are just as good.

And as for your group of RB's being tops in the league, we'll see about that son

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

In all fairness to both sides arguments, the season will probably boil down to three things unless injuries or off field issues become a distraction.

#1 a) The Packer secondary's ability to cover opponents WR with an unproven secondary. b) The Packers DL ability to apply pressure on the QB.

#2 a) The Vikings linebackers ability to not get confused and cover complex NFL offenses movements, multiple sets, and speed out of the backfield. b) The Vikings DL applying pressure on the QB and shortening the amount of coverage time by the secondary.

#3 a) Brett Farve's control of the system and not making mistakes at key moments which cost Green Bay games (i.e. Minnesota, Arizona, Detroit, Kansas City) b) Culpepper's pass progression decisions, decreased fumbles. Minnesota's tendency to make mental mistakes (i.e. penalties) and play the entire season as a team which lives up to it's God given athletic talent.

Both teams will likely disappoint their fans in my opinion.
    Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will all be judged by only one thing - the result." --Vince Lombardi

Future Fact:

The 2004 Green Bay Packers will have the most prolific backfield in the history of the NFL since the 1998 Denver Broncos. Possibly, in the history of the NFL.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"TEXPACK" wrote:
    There is no greater delusion than, self delusion.

How in the world can you people spin last years failure into a positive? The Minnesota Vikings fell apart plain and simple.

Smug attitude? You mean like calling someone out that he doesn't know anything about football--then when you find out he played, making fun of him on every occasion possible?

:study:
    Texpack what are you talking about? Only the most unperceptive of fans looks only at the big picture (win-loss record) when discussing the potential new season. Granted the only thing that mattered last year was that years win loss record, but alot of the intagiblies our team showed go a long way to predicting how our team will start off. Hell we finished 2002 3-0 and started 2003 6-0, it carries over sometimes. In the end the only thing that matters this year is the win-loss record, but none of us know that so why bother trying to predict it?

As far as calling you out? um, If I recall correctly it was you who called me and almost everyone else out on this site about their football knowledge, not me. Then you found out I played football, so what is your point there? Maybe you were just demonstrating how you actually are a hypocrite.

Jer yes we did have problems with running backs in the midseason last year, good for you on picking that one up. If you actually watched our games you would have realized that was due mainly to our slow LBs (biekert, crockett) that are no longer with this team. We gave players like Nattiel and Henderson more playing time at the end of the year and ended up containig Priest Holmes, Shaun Alexander etc. by the end of the season.

Um ok, the Packers have agreat offensive line, as do the vikings. Debating between whether we are ranked #5 vs #4 or #3 is pointless.

Texpack, saying Carrol can run with Moss before they have ever played a game is ignorant. Maybe in 100 yard dash he could, but when I hear stories of Carrol getting burned by the like of ferguson in camp I am less inclined to believe that. Football speed and track speed are very different. Remember, he would have to plant and turn around as well, and by then Moss has 5 yards on him and it is all over.

I think someone stated that Onterrio Smith is one of the better blocking RB in the game, maybe you meant Moe, cuz from what I saw last year he still has a long way to go in that department.

jer you sack stats are very open to interpretation. As a vikings fan I could easiliy say that the reason Farve isn't sacked alot is because he throws it up alot of the time whenever he feels pressure, which led to the 22 picks he threw, kinda like the Dawkins-duck in the playoffs or the 4 he threw to us in the opener. It is almost as if he is afraid to take a hit in his old age.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Prolific Backfield TexPack? You have a star player in Ahman, a decent running back who has never played an entire game in Davenport, and who else Fisher? Yah that depth is scary.

With us, we have 3 players who if they get 20 carries a game have all proven they can get consistently 100 yard games. All 3 of our back have started and played almost entire games and produced number that Davenport has only proved he can do every once in a while whenever Ahman is tired. Lets see him play a whole game a few time and then well talk.

Jer
    Jer is offline Rookie

stallion-lets interpret the fact that Brett isn't the most mobile guy around either. He is better than most at moving around and throwing on the run though. Every qb gets rid of the ball. We gave up 19 sacks and thats all there is to it. The Rams and Lions were the only two teams to really outplay our O-line. We had 157 yards rushing on average as a team each week. If Davenport gets the carries he will do fine. He gets better as the game goes on as well. He is the knockout guy come 4th quarter. I sometimes want him more than Green in the 4th quarter because he wears the defense down. Remember the game in 02' vs. you guys? Fisher had 96 yards and a td on 25 carries against you guys @ Lambeau.

Favre isn't afraid to take a hit w/ his old age. He saw the blitz against the Eagles and they were in the backfield before Brett got to look down field and he made a decision to throw it up. The 4 picks vs. you guys-rough day. The last one where Chavous was on Javon and he got the pick-Had it been at the end of the season Javon would have come up with it. Favre isn't afraid to take a hit.

Another thing on Carroll-the reports on him have been that he has a hard time figuring out whats going on on the field. He can run with guys and he's like a blanket on them, but its the different defensive looks that he is trying to learn. 75 percent of the time (estimated by Sherman) he has been on the guy, but the other 25 percent it has been a mental error. He has the speed, but the mental lapses at least in the beginning will hurt him and make him look slower than he actually is.

Jer I am not saying that Davenport and.or Fisher arn't serviceable replacement during the course of a game. The facts remain though, all of our top 3 RBs have had consistently good showing (100+ yds) when they get alot of carries during a game. Meaning on any given day we could start any of them and have a great day rushing the ball.

That game that you refer about Tony Fisher, If I recall correctly Bennett had a better game anyway. Davenport has never played a whole game for you guys and so you can't really claim him to be a serviceable replacement. He just cleans up the garbage when the defense and Ahman are tired.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast