Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Viking and NFL corners

Can anyone explain this to me ? In the Cover 2 defense, the corners are supposed to jam the wide receivers on the line of scrimmage. And yet, I continuously see our corners allow the receiver to "skate" by into the secondary. Is there any reason for this ? I don't see this just on our team, but also on other defenses. In general, I think the work of corners has been abysmal all year in the NFL. Winfield is good, but we got Cedric Griffin so he can get physical on the line of scrimmage, right ? And yet, I see our corners constantly not pressing the receivers on the line. Is there a reason for that ?

Metrodump is offline Starter

Re: Viking and NFL corners

I too like the DBs to jam da WRs. But the rules favor da WRs nowadayz. The refs are pretty tough on DBs dis year. Why risk giving the other team a free first down.

Also, I think you need some real studs to play jammy at DB, which we aint got right at da moment.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Because it's more of a Tampa 2 where you do not have the jam at the LOS.

Too bad we cannot get to the QB with our down lineman.

It's purely zone.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

It's purely zone.
    Not always, the Tampa two can be zone or it can go into man-to-man.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Metrodump is offline Starter

Maybe we should make da switch from cover 2, ta cover TOO

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:

It's purely zone.
    Not always, the Tampa two can be zone or it can go into man-to-man.
    Of course.
    As with any scheme there are changes made.
    Look at a 3-4, sometimes its looks like a 6-1.

achilton87 is offline Waterboy

Its funny, if you asked the opposing coaches their gameplan, they would all say ' throw the ball because they have the same holes every week'.
    Our defense plays the same way every week, we do not give different looks so they watch the game tapes and see where the hole is each time.

Change it up. The line needs one more step to get pressure, they can do it.

The Tampa 2 doesn't really call for receivers to be jammed. It is more of a "Let's not get beat deep" type of defense. They allow the play no chance to develop downfield and are forced to hit the checkdown receiver. Our problem is we give up either a little too much room underneath, or we give up too many yards after catch. Griffin and McCaulley are both going to be great corners but i think we need a system change on D just as much as O. I'd like to see the D man up and play a more physical style.

mamaluke is offline Starter

Here is one thing I can not figure out. We are still playing the same scheme defense (Tampa-2)that Mike Tomlin put in place. Yet if you look a the Steelers defense, where Tomlin is still executing the same defense, the Steelers pass defense is ranked I believe 3rd in the AFC and 2nd or 3rd in total defense. What is up with that, is it a matter of personnel? Man it is sickening watching this defense get shredded apart week after week. Tomorrow is going to be a real test as it looks like Winfield is out. It will be a real test for the rookie McCauley. Personally I do not see anything special with Griffin but him being an average player so far. The key, in my opinion is also that our pass rush at times (lots of times) is non-existent and our blitzing schemes are attrocious as it seems like our guys start from 5 yards back and seem to run right into a blocker or get knocked aside with no problem. You can't expect the secondary to cover guys for more than 6 seconds because of a terrible pass rush. I am thinking that Sharper is getting pretty pissed off and frustrated with the current scheme and wants a little more flexibility to make some plays. I am really starting to wonder about our personnel as it seems the Steelers have it all figure out already and are doing sometning we are not.

jdvike is offline Hall of Famer

"mamaluke" wrote:
    Here is one thing I can not figure out. We are still playing the same scheme defense (Tampa-2)that Mike Tomlin put in place. Yet if you look a the Steelers defense, where Tomlin is still executing the same defense, the Steelers pass defense is ranked I believe 3rd in the AFC and 2nd or 3rd in total defense. What is up with that, is it a matter of personnel? Man it is sickening watching this defense get shredded apart week after week. Tomorrow is going to be a real test as it looks like Winfield is out. It will be a real test for the rookie McCauley. Personally I do not see anything special with Griffin but him being an average player so far. The key, in my opinion is also that our pass rush at times (lots of times) is non-existent and our blitzing schemes are attrocious as it seems like our guys start from 5 yards back and seem to run right into a blocker or get knocked aside with no problem. You can't expect the secondary to cover guys for more than 6 seconds because of a terrible pass rush. I am thinking that Sharper is getting pretty pissed off and frustrated with the current scheme and wants a little more flexibility to make some plays. I am really starting to wonder about our personnel as it seems the Steelers have it all figure out already and are doing sometning we are not.
    If im not mistaken,they run the 3-4 defense in Pitt...Tomlin didnt want to change what was working in Pittsburgh ie Dick L's zone blitzing 3-4 defense....its nothing like the Tampa 2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast