Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Viking - DEFENSIVE - Line

I think the fear of the BLITZ, in the cover 2, will help our D-line out a bit also.

The reason why I brought this up is it will be a major topic IF we don't get pressure up front.

We will all be saying "WHY WASN'T THIS ADDRESSED?"

James to me showed a lot of potential, and I give him more of a chance to succeed that Udeze, of course they both have a chance of long NFL careers, but if I was to have to bet I would go with James.

Turboe is offline Hall of Famer

"collegeguyjeff" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    Depth Chart at the end of Season

DE - Darrion Scott and Spencer Johnson
    DT - Pat Williams and CJ Mosley
    DT - Kevin Williams and Spencer Johnson
    DE - Erasmus James and Lance Johnstone

Add into this Equation - Udeze!!

I am going to take my Puple tinted Glasses off for a second and say this.

I am happy with K and P Will plus Mosley plus Johnstone(part time DE) BUT................

I don't really have a feel for what we are going to get from UDEZE, JAMES SCOTT and JOHNSON. In other words, I am worried about our DE spot. We have seen glimpses of Udeze and James and S Johnson at their finest but we haven't seen it for a prolonged period of time. Do they want to play? Do the want to excel? Are they going to play at a high level?

If we land Hutch, do we go after a DE in the first or second round? Keep in mind that Childress stated that everything starts up front. Does Childress believe in the guys we have on the D-line?
    didn't you watch james play he is going to be awesome.
    My sentiments exactly. James didnt get as much PT as I would have liked, but when he was in there he always seemed to be around the QB either hurrying them, or getting some good hits in on them as they threw. I would have been hard pressed to expect a whole lot more out of Erasmus than what I saw when I watched him.

I bought his jersey early in the season as I liked the number 99 and liked what I saw of him coming out of college, so I paid close attention anytime I saw he was in the game, and I just think he is the real deal when it comes to pass rush. Now it remains to be seen if his run stopping and stay at home mentality are up to snuff, but I am not concerned that he will be a pass rushing terror for years to come.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

I think this is kind of a curious topic. All things a side, going in to FA i would say that the D-Line were the one place where we least neaded to upgrade.

I suppose it comes down to a discussion about our ends, but Udeze was hurt last year, and James were a rookie, who actually played well in the last games.

All I'm saying is that I don't see any other group being as strong (OL, WR, RB, TE, QB, LB or DB).

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"Turboe" wrote:
    "collegeguyjeff" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:

I am going to take my Puple tinted Glasses off for a second and say this.

I am happy with K and P Will plus Mosley plus Johnstone(part time DE) BUT................

I don't really have a feel for what we are going to get from UDEZE, JAMES SCOTT and JOHNSON. In other words, I am worried about our DE spot. We have seen glimpses of Udeze and James and S Johnson at their finest but we haven't seen it for a prolonged period of time. Do they want to play? Do the want to excel? Are they going to play at a high level?
    didn't you watch james play he is going to be awesome.
    My sentiments exactly. James didnt get as much PT as I would have liked, but when he was in there he always seemed to be around the QB either hurrying them, or getting some good hits in on them as they threw. I would have been hard pressed to expect a whole lot more out of Erasmus than what I saw when I watched him.

I bought his jersey early in the season as I liked the number 99 and liked what I saw of him coming out of college, so I paid close attention anytime I saw he was in the game, and I just think he is the real deal when it comes to pass rush. Now it remains to be seen if his run stopping and stay at home mentality are up to snuff, but I am not concerned that he will be a pass rushing terror for years to come.
    Sophomore slump, injury, 4 games doesn't make a season, what ever you would like to think or say that seems like a pessimistic concept.

The only reason that I brought it up was for conversation to get some input that I may not have thought about.

Of course I watched the games. Of course James had some good games. But there is more to it than how someone performed last year. See DC's stats and the stinky conversations he has generated during the season b4 his injury and after. See K-Will coming back off an injury and add that possible situation to Udeze.

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

Our Dline is a strength to us, with a new DC we should hopefully get more sacks. You dont have to have crazy Dline if you have good linebackers, we'll maybe have both.
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

vikings11_27 is offline Pro-Bowler

chad geenway at 17 will be the athhletic MLB we need and he will be able to get to the QB

Yes i know he didnt show good strength, but strength is something you can work on, he has everything else

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

i still hope we plan on keeping johnstone
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

vegasvike is offline Hall of Famer

"snowinapril" wrote:
    Our Sack totals were unimpressive last season.

We really need to get more production from K-Wil or we will be in trouble.

Our D-line was not impressive last season!!!

I don't understand if it was scheme last season and/or the new scheme will help this season.

It is really the one area that we haven't addressed yet at all. So either the HC is happy with what he has or we are planning on doing something about it. We didn't take a stab in FA at anyone, so to me it is looking like a draft choice???????
    it was the scheme. we could have had the NFC probowl D and Ted would have made them look like the freshman team taking on a state champ varcity team
    Thanks for the sig Pack93z

I love when you take breaks from plucking your unibrow and grunting/slapping to makes posts in this forum

HornedHat is offline Asst. Coach

I really don't think the d-line is an immediate need area. Certainly safety and LB, but the D-line SHOULD be able to produce, given the time to mature. We have two first round DE's that have been sitting around the house, drinking our beer and eating our Cheetos. We need to give em the time to produce for us, and I believe/hope this year will reap the benefits of their maturity. I'm not ready to cut bait, especially not James, I think he played well, anyway.

Ddawg84 is offline Starter

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    Erasmus James really picked his game up towards the end of last season. We all know what Udeze can do. I really think we are fine on the D-Line. We need to look at QB, and LB in the draft.
    I agree... I am really excited about our D-Line... outside of Phat Pat we are very young and Talented... and if they keep growing we could have a top Dline in the League for years to come!!! I think James and Udeze will start doing what they were brought in to do this up coming season. We don't draft 2 DE 2 years in a row in the first round for nothing... I think we have addressed that isssue with the future in mind.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast