Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Vikes winning final two is critical!

We know how having home field advantage tends to favor the Vikings, and getting a bye the first week to heal would be an added bonus. Not to mention, slipping to the #3 or #4 seed would require the Vikings to win three games to advance to the Super Bowl vs. two if they get a first round bye.

But consider this...even if the Saints beat the Panthers next week to secure the #1 seed overall, I'm no longer convinced of the Saints invincibility at home. They've lost at home two straight weeks, to the Cowboys and Bucs. To me, it's very conceivable that whomever the Saints play in the opening round will beat them. If the Vikings are no worse than the #2 seed and win their opening round game, I like the chances that the NFCCG will be in the Metrodome. Of course, there is always the chance that the Vikings can win the #1 seed outright with two straight wins combined with a Panthers win over the Saints next Sunday.

Even though I think the Saints can be vulnerable, even at home, in the playoffs, I don't want the possibility of the Vikings having to win a Wild Card round game at the Metrodome and then conceivably play the next two on the road...which would probably include Philadelphia in the divisional round. Winning the next two gives the Vikings a week off and gives them the best shot at hosting the NFCCG. SKOL VIKINGS!
    SKOL VIKINGS!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Vikes winning final two is critical!

I agree. While the number 1 seed would be nice (and is definately within reach), I want to see the Vikings just concentrate on winning these next two games and not give a crap about what other teams are doing. We win out, and we are guaranteed a #2 seed at worst. The bye will go a long ways toward getting everyone healthy and ready to destroy whoever comes to Minneapolis for the divisional game!
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re:Vikes winning final two is critical!

Great first post but I gotta go with Paul here........

All they have to do is win, nothing more, nothing less and the SB is our.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

faninphx is offline Starter

According to my calculations, all we have to do is win tonight and we will be guaranteed a first round bye. Home field would be a lot better but at least New Orleans is starting to skid. I was a lot more scared of them a month ago.
    Unfortunately, there is some very fierce competition in the NFC and we will need every advantage we can.

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

faninphx wrote:
    According to my calculations, all we have to do is win tonight and we will be guaranteed a first round bye.
    Unfortunately, not true.

If the Eagles beat the Cowboys next week, and the Vikings lose one of their final two (to either the Giants or Bears), both the Eagles and Vikings would finish at 12-4. The Eagles would then be the #2 seed based on having a better NFC record than the Vikings (10-2 vs 9-3).

If the Vikings beat the Bears tonight, and the Eagles lose at Dallas next week, the Vikings will lock up the #2 seed at worst. Unfortunately, the Eagles game will be at 4 PM, and the Vikings game against the Giants will be at 1 PM (ET), so it isn't as if the Vikings can afford to take it easy against the Giants. They will have to go in assuming they will have to win to hold onto the #2 seed, and possibly take the #1 seed if the Panthers can beat the Saints.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I'm not so sure a bye week is a good thing for this team right now.

They need to take advantage of every opportunity they have to straighten out the little woes they have.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Blog Entries

purplepat wrote:
    faninphx wrote:
    According to my calculations, all we have to do is win tonight and we will be guaranteed a first round bye.
    Unfortunately, not true.

If the Eagles beat the Cowboys next week, and the Vikings lose one of their final two (to either the Giants or Bears), both the Eagles and Vikings would finish at 12-4. The Eagles would then be the #2 seed based on having a better NFC record than the Vikings (10-2 vs 9-3).

If the Vikings beat the Bears tonight, and the Eagles lose at Dallas next week, the Vikings will lock up the #2 seed at worst. Unfortunately, the Eagles game will be at 4 PM, and the Vikings game against the Giants will be at 1 PM (ET), so it isn't as if the Vikings can afford to take it easy against the Giants. They will have to go in assuming they will have to win to hold onto the #2 seed, and possibly take the #1 seed if the Panthers can beat the Saints.
    Correct.

The Vikings just need to win to get the #2. We control our own destiny.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

NodakPaul wrote:
    purplepat wrote:
    faninphx wrote:
    Unfortunately, not true.

Correct.

As far as the #2 seed, yes. But they need some help from the Panthers for the #1 seed. Which I want. Badly.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Blog Entries

Marrdro wrote:
    I'm not so sure a bye week is a good thing for this team right now.

They need to take advantage of every opportunity they have to straighten out the little woes they have.
    Gotta Disagree. A first round bye this late in the season really helps get everyone healthy and rested. Week 17 or Wild Card week is not the time to straighten out anything. If it is minor (which I think everything is at this point), then the week off is more valuable. If it is not minot, it is too late anyway.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Blog Entries

Zeus wrote:
    NodakPaul wrote:
    purplepat wrote:
    faninphx wrote:
    Unfortunately, not true.

Correct.

As far as the #2 seed, yes. But they need some help from the Panthers for the #1 seed. Which I want. Badly.

=Z=
    I would love the #1 seed, but honestly it isn't as big of a deal for me anymore. I think the Vikings can take the Saints at home.

Securing the #2 is more important, as it gives us the bye. #2 is a MUST, #1 would be nice, but not an absolute need IMHO.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast