Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    dfosterf is offline Coach

Re: Vikes win the toss - what decision?

I agree with the "defer-crowd", but I think it must be said-

If it doesn't work, and God forbid you lose the game as a result somehow... there will be some fresh Chilly hatin' goin' on, so factor that in, too.

...just sayin'...

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

kjdaddy wrote:
    Ball. 7. Shut em up. period.
    I agree with this.
    Keep the ball out of Brees hands whenever possible.
    If you defer and they score, you are in trouble.

Take the ball, physically dominate the line of scrimmage, score, eat up the clock, set the pace and tone for the game.

Moot point, Vikes don't win the toss anyway.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

ndnorseman is offline Pro-Bowler

I always want them to defer the first coin toss at away games, and same goes for this one. 1) It puts the pressure on their kick returner to not screw up the first catch of the season. 2) It gives our guys a good chance to make a huge play on ST, causing a fumble on the return. 3) It gives the Vikes the ball back to start the second half.

JMO

x-ray jeff is offline Coordinator

kjdaddy wrote:
    Ball. 7. Shut em up. period.
    Ball. Long grinding drive for 7, then kill kill kill.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Zeus wrote:
    tomo21 wrote:
    Easiest thing to say is you never know what is best. I think i would take the ball first. I think the Vikings have to score first today. Would me make a lot more relaxed...
    Part of me says that. But the crowd will be most into it at that point - and at their loudest.

The other part of me says I want the defense out there first. They're pumped and the crowd will be quiet. Best way to keep them quiet would be to stuff that first series.

=Z=
    I agree. Saint fans are going to be pumped up. Let them be pumped up with the Saints have the ball. If we stop them it's going to knock a little zeal out of them. Give the Saints the ball first. Let our defense stop them and take the crowd out asmuch as possible.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

ejmat wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    tomo21 wrote:
    Easiest thing to say is you never know what is best. I think i would take the ball first. I think the Vikings have to score first today. Would me make a lot more relaxed...
    Part of me says that. But the crowd will be most into it at that point - and at their loudest.

The other part of me says I want the defense out there first. They're pumped and the crowd will be quiet. Best way to keep them quiet would be to stuff that first series.

=Z=
    I agree. Saint fans are going to be pumped up. Let them be pumped up with the Saints have the ball. If we stop them it's going to knock a little zeal out of them. Give the Saints the ball first. Let our defense stop them and take the crowd out asmuch as possible.
    I like the theory, but do we really want to kick off with Longwell kicking and our special teams coverage?
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Onside kick.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

People here have a lot of faith in our secondary. I don't. Receive the ball and run Purple Jesus down their throats till we up by 7. I don't want to play behind, and if we can't get pressure then Brees will pick us apart.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

You kick the ball.
    I have always loved the 14 point swing that defering gives you.

For example, the game is tied at the 2 min mark in the 2nd quarter. We score and go up 7. We get the ball back and score again. We have gotten 2 scoring opportunities without them touching the ball. When you get the ball first, the other team is guaranteed to have a chance to match.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

kevoncox wrote:
    You kick the ball.
    I have always loved the 14 point swing that defering gives you.

For example, the game is tied at the 2 min mark in the 2nd quarter. We score and go up 7. We get the ball back and score again. We have gotten 2 scoring opportunities without them touching the ball. When you get the ball first, the other team is guaranteed to have a chance to match.
    Isn't it just one scoring opportunity without them touching it since they receive it first? I just feel if we defer, then we will be playing from behind the whole night, and it would have to be tied at half time for us to go up after we receive.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast