Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Re: VIKES vs BEARS POSTGAME THREAD

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "ThorSPL" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote author=tastywaves link=topic=54457.msg1022624#msg1022624 date=1259589189]
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=54457.msg1022607#msg1022607 date=1259586639]

f.
    Recievers (all of them).
    Love how they are getting wide open.
    Where was that last year or the year before?
    I suspect health and improved OL is helping in this area.
    And when your not wide open (cover by 4 fricken defenders) you go up and make absolutely amazing catches.
    I for one came out of my chair 6 times yesterday on a few throws I thought were gonna be picks.

I was wondering about this point during the game, relating to TV coverage and only getting to see the WR's after the ball is thrown.
    How much is it Favre finding the open guy and throwing the ball at the right time to hit a
    WR in space vs. how much is it the WR doing a better job of finding the open spots on the field.

The one common factor you seem to find with the best qB's is that their receivers seem to be wide open a lot.

I wonder how much is attributed to the QB going through his reads and finding the open guy as well as throwing the ball at the right time to take advantage of zone shifts vs. the WR blowing by defenders.

The folks that see the game live could comment better on this, sitting at home, I only get to see the end of the play, but I suspect these wide open receivers have a lot to do with ol' #4 behind center.
    Boy toy Troy was commenting on this a bit as well.
    Good stuff My Farvish Friend.

I guess it all gets back to watching TJ a couple of years ago.
    To me it seemed like he didn't want to throw the ball to a WR that wasn't wide open.
    If a defender was even close he wouldn't throw it.
    The views that we saw on TV showed a defender close.
    This year, especially the last 3 games, our WR's are wide open.
    When I say that, I mean they have lots of seperation.

Not sure I would attribute that to our QB alone.
    Only difference I see there is that he will throw it to a WR regardless of how he is covered.

In this instance I would tend to believe that a couple of other factors have come into play here.....

a.
    OL play.
    If one watches the OL play, in most instances there is not only a nice big pocket, but there is also a passing lane associated with the recievers routes.
    This lets the QB see what not only the recievers are doing but the defenders as well.

b.
    Play Calling.
    Not so much that they are calling a pass play or a run play in certain situations, but rather how the WR's are used to creat matchups.
    The guys on NFLN broke down how Bevell is doing that with TE's and RB's out wide, motions, and multiple WR sets etc which seems to be helping the recievers get the mismatches they need to get seperation.

Don't get me wrong, the QB still has a role in this.
    Looking off S's help, great ball handling with his play action fakes, timing of throws, along with the ability to recognize the cat is open and make the throw, but I tend to believe alot more of (a) and (b) are happening this year.
    I think that is a huge difference; a big part of that is #4 while another part of it has to do with our receiving corps.

Not to call receivers of the past few a bunch of pussies, but compared to what we're working with now.... one could make the argument.
    pH will go across the middle and sacrifice himself to get a ball OR at least deflect it.
    Rice is catching anything remotely close to him - he doesn't even have to be open.
    Berrian appears to be willing to take some hits to make a catch this year.
    I do NOT remember that over the past 2-3 years.
    So you discount better line play as having a role?
    I for one am amazed at how much better it is.
    Nice, big, clean pockets with passing lanes associated with routes.

Again, won't discount the role the QB has, especialy those I mentioned, but to leave out the OL and the work they are doing is something I won't do.

As to your discussion point with respect to our group of recievers this year compared to the past 2-3 years.......Only change is PH.
    BB was here last year (avg'd something around 20 ypc) and El Syd is going on his 3rd year now.
    Sid is on his third year now, but you and I both know he wasn't nearly this good the past couple years.
    He's been bothered by injury his second year, hardly played.
    PH is an added weapon the defense has to be prepared to handle.
    He adds a dimension that Wade did not.
    [/quote]

LOL at how quickly Percy made us forget about Wade.
    I was in the camp that thought it was a bad decision...but now it's looking win/win for both the Vikings and Bobby.

[/quote]

I was to until the first game of the season, then I forgot all about that other guy.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Zeus" wrote:

=Z=
    anyone else notice how Favre seems to wear jerseys about 2 sizes too big?

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:

=Z=
    Look at that fucking noodle arm. What a washed up joke he is.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"marstc09" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:

=Z=
    Look at that fricken noodle arm. What a washed up joke he is.
    I can think of a couple deep balls from yesterday that I bet he wishes he had another chance at.
    Type of accuracy issues that ole TJ gets flame sprayed for.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]Griffin: “All Of Us Have Stepped Up”[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]

“All of us have stepped up – it’s a team effort right here,” Griffin said. “No man can do it by himself, and we are all doing a great job right now.

http://blog.vikings.com/2009/11/30/g...ve-stepped-up/
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:

=Z=
    I can think of a couple deep balls from yesterday that I bet he wishes he had another chance at.

nah, TJ got "flame sprayed" for throwing deep balls out of bounds and 7 yards past the receiver.

Its actually interesting, when TJ was playing, and I saw him wind up to go deep, I was usually thinking "oh shit, this cold be ugly"
    Now, when Favre does it, I'm actually excited, as it seems more often than not a receiver will end up bringing the ball in.
    I'd attribute that to a. better throws by Favre, b. Rice really coming alive and c. Harvin being another guy not afraid to go up for the ball.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:

=Z=

What does TJ having an inaccurate deep ball have to do with your claim that Favre could no longer throw the deep ball?
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

"halfgiz" wrote:
    I posted this a few pages back.

As far as the wide receivers being open. I would like to credit Favre for that.
    With TJ on a play call. The receiver that gets his number called, would probably get the ball most of the time. And the other receivers was probably just going through the motions of running a route.
    With Favre any and every play. An open receiver will get the ball. So the receivers are running every play like their number was called.
    He has upped the ante.
    Actually, I think this poster nailed it as to why our receivers are getting open more.
    While I disagree that TJack locks on to a receiver, I will concede that few (TJ included) can survey the field as well as Favre and show a complete willingness to throw to anyone as Favre.
    Remember early in the season where Sid got hit by a throw he wasn't expecting because he was simply running the clearing route?
    You don't see that any more.
    All the receivers know if they go out and run a route and get open, they have a chance of getting the ball whether they are the first option or the fifth.
    That incentive has got to be helping the receivers, you'd have a heck of a time arguing that it's hurting them.

Though Marrdro also has a point... our Line has played better this year.
    That means not only more time for Favre to survey the field and more time for receivers to find soft spots and create separation.

The way I look at it... Favre is making some great throws but most of his passes are pretty easy.
    If our Line and receivers can continue their same level of play, I believe another QB can come in to the system and do well.
    There may be some drop off, Favre does have a great deal of accuracy and confidence to throw into tight spaces, but improved Line and Receiver play would make any QBs job easy for the most part.
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

"BleedinPandG" wrote:
    "halfgiz" wrote:
    I posted this a few pages back.

As far as the wide receivers being open. I would like to credit Favre for that.
    With TJ on a play call. The receiver that gets his number called, would probably get the ball most of the time. And the other receivers was probably just going through the motions of running a route.
    With Favre any and every play. An open receiver will get the ball. So the receivers are running every play like their number was called.
    He has upped the ante.
    Actually, I think this poster nailed it as to why our receivers are getting open more.
    While I disagree that TJack locks on to a receiver, I will concede that few (TJ included) can survey the field as well as Favre and show a complete willingness to throw to anyone as Favre.
    Remember early in the season where Sid got hit by a throw he wasn't expecting because he was simply running the clearing route?
    You don't see that any more.
    All the receivers know if they go out and run a route and get open, they have a chance of getting the ball whether they are the first option or the fifth.
    That incentive has got to be helping the receivers, you'd have a heck of a time arguing that it's hurting them.

Though Marrdro also has a point... our Line has played better this year.
    That means not only more time for Favre to survey the field and more time for receivers to find soft spots and create separation.

The way I look at it... Favre is making some great throws but most of his passes are pretty easy.
    If our Line and receivers can continue their same level of play, I believe another QB can come in to the system and do well.
    There may be some drop off, Favre does have a great deal of accuracy and confidence to throw into tight spaces, but improved Line and Receiver play would make any QBs job easy for the most part.
    LOL, your killing me.
    ;D

I'm sure you know how hard it is to create a pocket in this league, let alone one to the degree that the passing lanes are there.
    Our OL play this year has been stellar.
    Not only have they kept the ancient one playing past were most of us (I wonder who will admit that) thought he would.
    Lets not forget the success we've had in that area of late.

Another thing to ponder, our current starter has trended to holding the ball a bit longer than normal.
    I think that is a mandate by the coaching staff that probably wasn't to well recieved early on this year as the ancient one took a bit of a pounding the first 1/3 of the season.

As much as I disdain his presence on this team, I readily admit that he is one tough critter.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast