Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    highdesertvike is offline Training Camp
    Quote Originally Posted by VikesfaninWis View Post
    Classless on the Bears part to not allow Allen the sacks record? The entire NFL knows that Favre and GB gave Strahan the record with a lay down sack. Allen deserves the record because he got to 22 on his own.

On a side note, the Vikings showed why they are a terrible team. They can't manage anything, and do every necessary to lose a game. What would they have gained by winning this game? Nothing except pushing themselves out of a very good draft position to help build their team going forward. The defensive backs decide to create turnovers for the first time all season long thus getting their defense off the field when they could have helped their teammate get the sacks record and actually put some kind of a bright spot on a crappy season.

Lastly, if I were Jared Allen, I would demand a trade. His talents are second to none and he deserves much better than to be wasting away on this team. He deserves a shot at a SB Title, and he won't get that in Minnesota.
    Would you just go root for another team already? Judging from the majority of your posts...if you were Jared Allen, you'd have given up at 0-3.

Sorry, but it just gets old after awhile.
    An ugly win is better than a pretty loss.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by VikesfaninWis View Post
    Classless on the Bears part to not allow Allen the sacks record? The entire NFL knows that Favre and GB gave Strahan the record with a lay down sack. Allen deserves the record because he got to 22 on his own.

On a side note, the Vikings showed why they are a terrible team. They can't manage anything, and do every necessary to lose a game. What would they have gained by winning this game? Nothing except pushing themselves out of a very good draft position to help build their team going forward. The defensive backs decide to create turnovers for the first time all season long thus getting their defense off the field when they could have helped their teammate get the sacks record and actually put some kind of a bright spot on a crappy season.

Lastly, if I were Jared Allen, I would demand a trade. His talents are second to none and he deserves much better than to be wasting away on this team. He deserves a shot at a SB Title, and he won't get that in Minnesota.
    We see it through the eyes of the fans, but they're professional football players and as professionals they are going to make the plays that are in front of them. They don't really care about staying on the field so someone can get a record or even losing so that the organization can get a higher draft pick (after all, the player they draft may replace them).

Don't criticize them for generating turnovers, they're just doing their jobs.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries
    Imagine if Jared Allen was on IR..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jrjohn View Post
    Jared Allen for Matt Flynn, the Vikings will score more points and the Packers will go 16-0 next year.
    I thought Flynn was a UFA?

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jrjohn View Post
    I think it was classless for hillbilly Brett to lay down for Strahan. JA can hold his head high, he's a hell of a player and everybody knows it. JA has enough class to walk away from a laydown sack.
    Did you see his quote earlier this week? Obviously not. He said if Josh wants to lay down then it's ok, it doesn't have to be painful. No one cares how he gets the sacks, as long as he does. Also, not classless of Bears to keep record from Allen. I wouldn't want the record to be broken against my team. But I am extremely pissed we didn't get the record though...
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I thought Flynn was a UFA?
    Don't bother using common sense with this guy.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

jrjohn is offline Pro-Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by 12purplepride28 View Post
    Did you see his quote earlier this week? Obviously not. He said if Josh wants to lay down then it's ok, it doesn't have to be painful. No one cares how he gets the sacks, as long as he does. Also, not classless of Bears to keep record from Allen. I wouldn't want the record to be broken against my team. But I am extremely pissed we didn't get the record though...
    NO, I didn't see that quote, I take back what I said about JA holding his head high.
    None

Flidais is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by 12purplepride28 View Post
    He commented that the record books have no asterisks, which I suppose is true, although everyone wrote about Strahan's record as 22.5* when I saw it discussed.

However, Strahan and Favre aside, the Daily Norsemen blog is arguing that Allen's sack total on the year was 23. While I'm clearly avoiding work, I thought I'd parse through nfl.com's own game logs and sure enough, I came up with 23 too.

September 11, 2011 at San Diego
    1st quarter 0.5 sack
    At 6:06, on 3rd and 5 MN 45, P. Rivers sacked at MN 49 for -4 yards (split by Robison and Allen)
    Running total: 0.5 sacks

September 18, 2011 versus Tampa Bay
    1st quarter 1 sack
    At 14:55, on 1st and 10 TB 26, J. Freeman sacked at TB20 for -6 years (J. Allen)
    Running total: 1.5 sacks

September 25, 2011 versus Detroit
    1st quarter 1 sack
    At 8:16, on 3rd and 4 DET 22, M. Stafford sacked at DET22 for -7 yards (J. Allen). Penalty on DET J. Backus, Offensive Holding, declined.
    2nd quarter 1 sack
    At 1:40, on 2nd and 10 DET 34, M. Stafford sacked at DET27 for -7 yards (J. Allen)
    4th quarter 1 sack
    At 1:11, on 1st and 20 DET 10, M. Stafford sacked at DET3 for -7 yards (J. Allen)
    Running total: 4.5 sacks

October 2, 2011 at Kansas City
    2nd quarter 1 sack
    At 1:09, on 1st and 10 MN33, M. Cassel sacked at MN39 for -6 yards (J. Allen)
    4th quarter 1 sack
    At 5:38, on 2nd and 10 KC17, M. Cassel sacked at KC17 for 0 yards (J. Allen)
    Running total 6.5 sacks

October 9, 2011 versus Arizona
    2nd quarter 1 sack
    At 2:29, on 3rd and 7 MN 19, K. Kolb sacked at MN37 for -18 yards (J. Allen)
    4th quarter 1 sack
    At 9:45, on 2nd and 13 MN 21, K. Kolb sacked at MN 30 for -9 yards (J. Allen)
    Running total 8.5 sacks

October 16, 2011 at Chicago
    3rd quarter 1 sack
    At 12:54, on 3rd and 7 MN47, J. Cutler sacked at CHI44 for -9 yards (J. Allen)
    Running total: 9.5 sacks

October 23, 2011 versus Green Bay
    1st quarter 1 sack
    At 1:44, on 3rd and 2 MN46, A. Rodgers sacked at GB43 for -11 yards (J. Allen)
    2nd quarter 1 sack
    At 5:41, on 2nd and 10 MN15, A. Rodgers sacked at MN21 for -6 yards (J. Allen)
    Running total: 11.5 sacks

October 30, 2011 at Carolina
    2nd quarter 1 sack
    At 1:15, on 1st and 10 CAR 42, C. Newton sacked at CAR33 for -9 yards (J. Allen)
    Running total: 12.5 sacks

November 14, 2011 at Green Bay (box score credits 1.0 sacks to J. Allen)
    1st quarter 1 sack
    At 9:55, on 1st and 10 GB 30, A. Rodgers sacked at GB23 for -7 yards (J. Allen)
    2nd quarter 1 sack
    At 13:29, on 1st and 9 MN9, A. Rodgers sacked at MN18 for -9 yards (J. Allen)
    Running total: 14.5 sacks

November 20, 2011 versus Oakland
    Running total: 14.5 sacks

November 27, 2011 at Atlanta
    Running total: 14.15 sacks

December 4, 2011 versus Denver
    2nd quarter 1 sack
    At 0:47, on 2nd and 2 DEN28, T. Tebow sacked at DEN23 for -5 yards (J. Allen)
    Running total: 15.5 sacks

December 11, 2011 at Detroit
    1st quarter 1 sack
    At 10:31, on 2nd and 4 MN 47, M. Stafford sacked at DET43 for -10 yards (J. Allen)
    2nd quarter 2 sacks
    At 6:57, on 2nd and 6 DET20, M. Stafford sacked at DET18 for -2 yards (J. Allen)
    At 2:20, on 1st and 10 MIN16, M. Stafford sacked at MN19 for -3 yards (J. Allen)
    Running total: 18.5 sacks

December 18, 2011 versus New Orleans
    Running total: 18.5 sacks

December 24, 2011 at Washington
    2nd quarter 1 sack
    At 3:52, on 2nd and 6 MN42, R. Grossman sacked at WAS48 for -10 yards (J. Allen)
    Running total: 19.5 sacks

January 1, 2012 versus Chicago
    1st quarter 0.5 sack
    At 1:56, on 1st and 10 CHI39, J. McCowen sacked at CHI34 for -5 yards (sack split Henderson and Allen)
    2nd quarter 1 sack
    At 5:03, on 3rd and 11 CHI37, J. McCowen sacked at CHI29 for 08 yards (J. Allen)
    3rd quarter 2 sacks
    At 15:00, on 1st and 10 CHI20, J. McCowen sacked at CHI16 for -4 yards (J. Allen)
    At 5:27, on 3rd and 14 CHI40, J. McCowen sacked at CHI34 for -6 yards (J. Allen)

Final Total: 23 sacks

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Flidais View Post
    He commented that the record books have no asterisks, which I suppose is true, although everyone wrote about Strahan's record as 22.5* when I saw it discussed.

However, Strahan and Favre aside, the Daily Norsemen blog is arguing that Allen's sack total on the year was 23. While I'm clearly avoiding work, I thought I'd parse through nfl.com's own game logs and sure enough, I came up with 23 too.
    I doubt the game logs are updated if a sack is taken away from Allen and given to someone else.

Some quick searching shows that Allen was actually credited with only 1 sack of Rodgers in the 1st GB game.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Flidais is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    I doubt the game logs are updated if a sack is taken away from Allen and given to someone else.

Some quick searching shows that Allen was actually credited with only 1 sack of Rodgers in the 1st GB game.

=Z=
    Crappy record keeping is a pet peeve of mine (not to mention being a statistician, it's a professional no-no to keep such poor records). No excuse for the NFL to be crappy about their record keeping. Stats are kind of important to their industry.

However, giving your comment benefit of the doubt, box score indicates 2 tackles, one by Allen and one by Winfield.

1st quarter 1 sack
    At 9:55, on 1st and 10 GB 30, A. Rodgers sacked at GB23 for -7 yards (J. Allen)
    2nd quarter 2 sacks
    At 13:29, on 1st and 9 MN9, A. Rodgers sacked at MN18 for -9 yards (J. Allen)
    At 1:49, on 2nd and 8 - GB29 - A. Rodgers sacked at GB23 for -6 yards (A. Winfield)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast