Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikes are two moves away from a powerhouse offense

We had like 30 mill last year and added people like Berrian and Allen and signed some players and a couple rookies and that only took 10 mill

WE are just fine and CAN add a big name player

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

I did consider the incentives room a bit, but I'm afraid most of our guys might have actually earned their incentives...probowl is one way to earn a bonus, keeping the top spot in rush defense might help, JA probably got enough sacks, Peterson led the nfl in yards etc etc.
    I'd like to think we have that extra 5 or 10 million, but I'm not too sure it will be that much...?
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

tomer629 is offline Waterboy

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    We don't need Oline help!!! We need a Qb that will make Defensive CO. think twice about blitz us on every down. Our line can handle it's on when they send 5 men after the QB. It's when they send 6 or more blitzers that we struggle. Why is that? Because our Qb cannot spot the blitz and throw the ball on his 3rd step. If our QB had any respect in the league we will see less 6 + men coming after our QB and our oline can do it's job. There is a reason they say Championships are built with Good Qbs and DEs. We can put 15 other Qbs behind this line and they would excell. We have one of the best lines in football; Running and Passing. It's our QB situations that sucks. Could you imagine if we had a line like oaklands and houstons? We have a top 5 Oline. Get me a top 15 QB and we will excel.
    tell that to the 2000 baltimore ravens.
    or the Bucs when they won their superbowl.
    Neither had a particularly good qb, but still managed to win it all.
    Perhaps there's a bit more to having a good team than having an all-star qb.
    I think that is true, but if you look at teams that contend every year over a period of time, they will almost always have stability and high level play at the QB position. The Redskins of the 80's and early 90's are the only team I can think of that went to multiple SB victories with different QB's while having the same coaching staff and system. The NY Giants did it in the same time period with 2 also.

But really, how many teams can claim to have an average QB and still be strong enough to contend for a title on a consistent basis? That is what I would like to see the Vikings do and what they say they are trying to do.
    you can arguably say the Giants... Eli is far from Elite!!.. I know ppl are going to get on me about this, and i'm not taking anything away from him, but Ben Rothlesberger... I dont' think he does anything special.. he plays with consistently the #1 defense in the league, and just doesn't make mistakes and has a strong running game... he was 24th in the league in passer rating and has 17tds to 15 int's... I'm not saying he's not good.. but i dont' have him as an elite QB... he's just on a really good team and is smart enough to make plays when necessary but a the same time doesn't make critical mistakes... but that's just my opinion...

those are just two that i can think of... but another angle at your comment is that with the parity in the league, there's
    only a few teams that actually compete at a high level year in and year out that would even fall into your category...
    I am not going to argue that, but it does really support my point. In this league of parity, the QB position is the one thing that can make a team competitive over a period of time. Look at the current teams who have been successful over the past decade on a consistent basis:

NE
    Indy
    GB
    Detroit
    Pittsburgh
    Philly

They all have stability at the QB position.
    detriot??? huh??? they have not been any good in the last 20+ years and they have never had stability at the QB position.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"tomer629" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    [quote author=kevoncox link=topic=50198.msg897210#msg897210 date=1231964298]
    We don't need Oline help!!! We need a Qb that will make Defensive CO. think twice about blitz us on every down. Our line can handle it's on when they send 5 men after the QB. It's when they send 6 or more blitzers that we struggle. Why is that? Because our Qb cannot spot the blitz and throw the ball on his 3rd step. If our QB had any respect in the league we will see less 6 + men coming after our QB and our oline can do it's job. There is a reason they say Championships are built with Good Qbs and DEs. We can put 15 other Qbs behind this line and they would excell. We have one of the best lines in football; Running and Passing. It's our QB situations that sucks. Could you imagine if we had a line like oaklands and houstons? We have a top 5 Oline. Get me a top 15 QB and we will excel.
    I think that is true, but if you look at teams that contend every year over a period of time, they will almost always have stability and high level play at the QB position. The Redskins of the 80's and early 90's are the only team I can think of that went to multiple SB victories with different QB's while having the same coaching staff and system. The NY Giants did it in the same time period with 2 also.

But really, how many teams can claim to have an average QB and still be strong enough to contend for a title on a consistent basis? That is what I would like to see the Vikings do and what they say they are trying to do.
    you can arguably say the Giants... Eli is far from Elite!!.. I know ppl are going to get on me about this, and i'm not taking anything away from him, but Ben Rothlesberger... I dont' think he does anything special.. he plays with consistently the #1 defense in the league, and just doesn't make mistakes and has a strong running game... he was 24th in the league in passer rating and has 17tds to 15 int's... I'm not saying he's not good.. but i dont' have him as an elite QB... he's just on a really good team and is smart enough to make plays when necessary but a the same time doesn't make critical mistakes... but that's just my opinion...

those are just two that i can think of... but another angle at your comment is that with the parity in the league, there's
    only a few teams that actually compete at a high level year in and year out that would even fall into your category...
    I am not going to argue that, but it does really support my point. In this league of parity, the QB position is the one thing that can make a team competitive over a period of time. Look at the current teams who have been successful over the past decade on a consistent basis:

NE
    Indy
    GB
    Detroit
    Pittsburgh
    Philly

detriot??? huh??? they have not been any good in the last 20+ years and they have never had stability at the QB position.
    [/quote]

I threw that one in there to see if anybody was paying attention.

Cangrats, you are the winner. Proceed to the free beer forum and introduce yourself.

Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

"V4L" wrote:
    We had like 30 mill last year and added people like Berrian and Allen and signed some players and a couple rookies and that only took 10 mill

WE are just fine and CAN add a big name player
    You can't think now now now constantly. We sign a big name, he takes a low salary which is good for our cap numbers, but the money we save this year we'll have to spend over the other 4/5 years. As we did the same with JA and BB, we won't have much cap space in upcoming years if we keep signing big name players to big name contracts
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

"tomer629" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:

NE
    Indy
    GB
    Detroit
    Pittsburgh
    Philly

[/quote]

Sadly Kitna is better than any QB that has donned Viking Purple since Daunte lit his Inferno (which he then extinguished very quickly.)

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "tomer629" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    [quote author=i_bleed_purple link=topic=50198.msg897262#msg897262 date=1231968597]

NE
    Indy
    GB
    Detroit
    Pittsburgh
    Philly

[/quote]

I threw that one in there to see if anybody was paying attention.

Cangrats, you are the winner. Proceed to the free beer forum and introduce yourself.
    [/quote]

That was good.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

Re:
    Vikes are two moves away from a powerhouse offense
    1. Get a pillow and blanket

2. Take a nap

That's the only time you have a chance of seeing a powerhouse offense under this regime.

grpape is offline Asst. Coach

"kevoncox" wrote:
    Did you watch the end of the Eagles game? They were getting pressure rushing three or four linemen.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"grpape" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    Did you watch the end of the Eagles game? They were getting pressure rushing three or four linemen.
    Because we had to pass so if they rush 3 and use the other 8 in coverage, our Qb wasn't smart enough to take off running or accurate enough to fit the ball in the gaps. Again it starts with the QB!

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910