COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Vikes toying with 3-4 defense?

From PFW.... and the espn message board....

Decent LB talent and better-than-advertised depth on the defensive line have the Vikings tinkering with a 3-4 defense. Minnesota’s LB corps has multiple players with pass-rushing skills, and defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin wants to experiment with the personnel to see if the scheme might work without completely scrapping the cover-2 base defense. NT Pat Williams and OLB Napoleon Harris are schooled in the 3-4, but the rest of the defense is getting a first taste in camp. DLs Kevin Williams and Kenechi Udeze are critical to the 3-4 being an effective alignment. Williams had 22 sacks in his first two seasons but battled weight and knee issues last year, while Udeze missed most of the season with a knee injury. If both are at full strength, the former first-round picks could be more than most offensive lines can handle.

When our strength and depth is at d-line and weakness is LB, we should not be running the 3-4. Dosn't make sense.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Vikes toying with 3-4 defense?

We ran it a little bit last year. I don't really know if I like this or not. I kind of have mixed feeling about chaning to a 3-4. It could bring some good things but I think it has a better chance of not working out. Like you said Cojo our line is our strength at this moment, not our linebackers. Unless the coaches know something we dont....

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

It's true though that our LB's are young and athletic with good speed. I wouldn't fault Tomlin for at least experimenting.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

We've got way too many talented D-linemen to go 3-4. Unless one of our D-line guys is small enough to convert into an outside LB, similar to what Willie McGinest (and some guy on the Broncos, Karl Mecklenburg?) used to do, this wouldn't make much sense to me.
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

Rasmus would be amazing as an outside LB in 3-4 sort of shawn marrimen style (if he could do any coverage).

Del Rio Guest

No we will not be playing 3-4 more then usual.

* edit *

And if you listened to the two interviews Childress did he stressed that players need one position and need to stay in that position and learn it. So you will not be seeing DE's turning into LB's or Vice Versa.

Of course in some stunts and formations you have them lined up as such, but that has always been the case. Don't expect drastic permanent changes on the line.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

yea i believe there was a discussion about this a while back, everyone was just talking about the possibility of us running 3-4 again

and i say no thank you! no enough depth at LB while the depth at DL is crazy

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

I'm not a big fan of the 3-4 with this defense.We tried it last year and I didnt like the results.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

There was discussion about the 3-4 but i think with Pat Williams on the team that will likely go out the window Just like my agent i threw out the window!!

Prophet Guest

I hope they're not toying with anything. Meathead toyed with the team, we need someone to manage the team and do it well.