Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Prophet Guest

Re: Vikes top 3 weaknesses

1. Coach

Mike Tice should not be the coach. He is one of, if not the, most mentally challenged coaches in the league. The only other coach that is potentially at his level is Jim Haslett.

2. Defense

I love the offseason moves this year and really hope the defense will dramatically improve. I'll remain cautiously optimistic.

3. Attitude

Recently, the team has not had a winning attitude. The whole team should expect excellence of themselves and each other and nothing less.

Del Rio Guest

"Prophet" wrote:
    1. Coach

Mike Tice should not be the coach. He is one of, if not the, most mentally challenged coaches in the league.

2. Defense

I love the offseason moves this year and really hope the defense will dramatically improve. I'll remain cautiously optimistic.

3. Attitude

Recently, the team has not had a winning attitude. The whole team should expect excellence of themselves and each other and nothing less.
    I think Tice is too soft, but I'm hoping that the extreeme hard on a lot of people have over our new guys will make it so if Tice and co. don't get it done this year they will actually put some blame where it needs to go.

There are no excuses for Cottrell, and Tice now. They have a team and barring huge injuries to a lot of starters they are in the spotlight. If they screw this up it's over for them.

OchoCinco is offline Coordinator

Agreed...I wasn't really impressed when they signed Cottrell I think his systems are flawed. But I must say also that last years defense was weak and young in all the wrong places. You had a weakness at every level...line, lb, safety (brian russell), and we lost Ken Irvin to solidify on passing downs. That really kills your blitzing ability. This year will hopefully be different since they added the missing pieces...dl,lb,safety...

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

#1) Special teams - We definitely don't have much talent in this area...Ralph Wiggum could grab a roster spot ("I'm special!"). When I look at the uncertainty at the placekicker position, overpursuit of kick returners, and the need to bring Bennett onto the field to kick a 35-yard pooch punt when every other team in the league would be in field goal range, the only way I can make myself feel better is by reminding myself that last year, it was even worse.

#2) Weakside linebacker - Nattiel and Thomas are too raw and inexperienced for me to feel comfortable with them starting.

#3) Defensive coordinator - Cottrell had better get smarter this year, because last year we might as well have picked some special ed kid to be our defensive coordinator. He certainly couldn't be any more retarded than Cottrell.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

The Vikes have one major weakness, and one minor weakness.

The major weakness is Mike Tice. The Neanderthal will never be able to keep momentum going throughout a season, because he rests on his laurels when things start out hot, and doesn't do the motivational coaching needed to keep those players improving and getting hungrier. He throws a chair.

The minor weakness is the running game. You haven't developed consistency there, and the loss of Ontarrio, the aging of Moe, the unreliability of Bennett, and the youth of Mewelde makes it a question mark.

However, admittedly, you have a lot of pieces in place elsewhere. It's just a matter if you can pull it all together. Your "major problem" is the determining factor, and I predict he won't be able to do it, again.

I would fear the Vikings greatly as a Super Bowl threat if you had a good coach.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

Kicker, linebacker, and kicker!
    You republican whore!

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Los Angelis,

You have very valid points and you state them unbiasly. I agree with a lot that you say. Tice, IMO can be a decent coach if he learns how to slow down a football game. That is really what is lacking. Hopefully, this year, we have a defense that can hold there own and we don't have to score over 30 points per game to win. If our defense is even 15th in the league, all we have to do is score about 20 to win most of the games. I think that is realistic.

As far as the RB situation, it is a very talented team there but someone really has to step up and be a #1 RB. If someone does that, it's going to be a good season for Viking fans.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Id have to say Punter.. Linebacker.. & Coaching..

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

"ejmat" wrote:
    Los Angelis,

You have very valid points and you state them unbiasly. I agree with a lot that you say. Tice, IMO can be a decent coach if he learns how to slow down a football game. That is really what is lacking. Hopefully, this year, we have a defense that can hold there own and we don't have to score over 30 points per game to win. If our defense is even 15th in the league, all we have to do is score about 20 to win most of the games. I think that is realistic.

As far as the RB situation, it is a very talented team there but someone really has to step up and be a #1 RB. If someone does that, it's going to be a good season for Viking fans.
    Thanks, ej.

I try to be relatively unbiased.

Except when the game is on. Hoo boy, look out.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

MinnesotaBaller Guest

1. Mike Tice
    2. Chemistry on D
    3. Hold outs

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345