Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vegasvikingguy is offline Waterboy

Vikes top 3 weaknesses

I think our team as of today has three weaknesses.

#1 Special teams (major weakness)- We need a kicker to stand up, better coverage and returns. (bring back chris walsh )

#2 We need to get ourselfs another proven linebacker to help out. This is our second weakest area on the team that needs attention.

#3 I"m still not comfortable with the O-line, but the offensive is number three on my list of concerns. If they can play out of their a** they will cancel worry #2.

So, we need to work on our special teams.

Del Rio Guest

Re: Vikes top 3 weaknesses

The three most pressing issues at this moment to me are

#1) good players holding out, we need em.

#2) Defensive Cord. is an idiot.

#3) Running game, we need it out of one guy

Honorable mentions

#4) Special teams

#5) Buying a new tv to watch the Viking and Chiefs in the superbowl.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Don't forget that our Special Teams now includes EJ (if he doesn't beat out Cowart), BWill (if he comes back), whomever loses the Weakside LB battle (Thomas/Smith), and probably a couple of our recent draft choices...we should be better in this area just from the influx of superior talent over last year's team.

The LB corps will be fine...it will benefit from the competitive battles at MLB and WLB...with best man winning and the loser still being there for good depth.

The OL will be just fine once Birk comes back and Big Marcus takes over the LG spot (by mid-season, I predict, if not sooner). Plus, in a pinch, they could probably re-sign Big Dix to fill in.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"vegasvikingguy" wrote:

#1 Special teams (major weakness)- We need a kicker to stand up, better coverage and returns. (bring back chris walsh )

#2 We need to get ourselfs another proven linebacker to help out. This is our second weakest area on the team that needs attention.

#3 I"m still not comfortable with the O-line, but the offensive is number three on my list of concerns. If they can play out of their a** they will cancel worry #2.

I think our FG kicking game is fine with edinger. I am not confident with our kickoff kicking game as well as coverage, but I think coverage should be better this year, since with all the new D starters we added, that means a lot of the old ones play and focus more on special teams. Our coverage should be better this year. Punting is another bit of concern, but bennett has been punting better and did decent at the end of the year, and dorsch did extremely well in NFL europe, if we need him.

I would say LB coverage is a concern. Not neccessarily LB, but just coverage at the Lb spot. I think we have the LB's that will be good against the run, especially cowart at MLB. The question will then be, can cowart and napo be better in pass def, compared to CC and EJ? And has DT developed? I thought DT looked much better towards the end of the year, and with the beefed up secondary, we will be running more man-to-man D, which should help him out in coverages. I think DT will play much better this year.

I would put RB as a weakness, as far as do we have a guy that can be our starter and main guy all through the year? I think that is important to gain that chemistry with the O-line and them knowing what the RB is gonna do, before he does it. When we have a differnet back in there every game, it is hard on the O-lineman. So can bennett start in every game this year, is a big concern of mine.

JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

If I remember correctly, this is the first time in a few years that our D-coordinator is in his second season w/ our team. Coordinators rarely have a great deal of success in their first year w/ a new team. The players have yet to become accustomed to the scheme and philosophy of that coach. I think that's why we've brought in so many people that used to play for them. Our D will be better based on that alone. Add to the that the level our talent has increased and we should have a great defense this year.
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

akvikefan89 is offline Star Spokesman

"vegasvikingguy" wrote:

I think that Edinger should definitly come out as the frontrunner in the kicking competintion kicking in the dome(no wind/no slippery grass), however the special teams coverage still worries me.

Yeah, one more proven linebacker would be great but, we do need to keep young players in there or we will end up like the packers :shock: to many old players, not enough young developing players that will get better.

I'm still pretty confident in the o-line. Drafting Marcus Johnson in the second round showed that the Vikes aren't going to let o-line slip on the list of priorities, I think Marcus will be a regular starter by early/mid-season, he is a great pulling lineman, also very versital :grin: .

Overall, I say we're in pretty good shape if Chavous and B-Will Come back and we add a little more to our kickoff/punt coverage teams.

SKOL

Del Rio Guest

"JDogg926" wrote:
    If I remember correctly, this is the first time in a few years that our D-coordinator is in his second season w/ our team. Coordinators rarely have a great deal of success in their first year w/ a new team. The players have yet to become accustomed to the scheme and philosophy of that coach. I think that's why we've brought in so many people that used to play for them. Our D will be better based on that alone. Add to the that the level our talent has increased and we should have a great defense this year.
    I'm not looking to hijack this thread, but I agree having the same coach here for 2 years will do wonders. He had more then a year at the Jets he was fired, he plays non-aggressive defense. Maybe better players will help him grow some balls and coach the game. Just how I feel it is personal and probably wrong, in fact I hope he proves me wrong.

"JDogg926" wrote:

Plus the fact that we had how many rookies playing on our D last year? 3 on the d-line alone. All these young guys trying to learn a new system isn't gonna happen right away, especially when our secondary is injury riddled like it was.

I am not down on cotrell at all. He has proven himself in this league and how many of the D players we had starting last year, can we say were proven? A few only. I look for a totally new loking D system this year, with much much more man D and much more blitzing, from all over the place.

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

#1 - kicking game - can Edinger bounce back from a subpar year? How can he do at kickoffs?

#2 - lbs - I agree - not because I think they'll be bad, but because a lot of them still have a lot to prove - Harris and Cowart both have to bounce back after bad years, and Thomas hasn't really impressed me at all

#3 - getting good younger players in the secondary - it'll be good this year, but looking towards the future...

#4 - moving the team to Winnipeg - not sure if I'm gonna be in the majority on this one :lol:

Thanks PPE for the sig.

"canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:
    #1 - kicking game - can Edinger bounce back from a subpar year? How can he do at kickoffs?

#2 - lbs - I agree - not because I think they'll be bad, but because a lot of them still have a lot to prove - Harris and Cowart both have to bounce back after bad years, and Thomas hasn't really impressed me at all

#3 - getting good younger players in the secondary - it'll be good this year, but looking towards the future...

#4 - moving the team to Winnipeg - not sure if I'm gonna be in the majority on this one :lol:

Winnipeg is actually much closer to me, so that would be a bonus. Thats probably the only good thing about them moving there, for me. :grin:

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast