Vikes sign Henson

The Vikings added quarterback Drew Henson to their practice squad Wednesday, as the team completed a search for a healthy third quarterback.

Rookie Tarvaris Jackson had successful meniscus surgery Monday and coach Brad Childress said at that time that the Vikings would be looking to add a quarterback, if for nothing else, to handle some of the practice reps behind Brad Johnson and Brooks Bollinger.

Henson, who played for the University of Michigan and then missed three years attempting a professional baseball career, spent the last two season with Dallas. After the Cowboys attempted to trade him this summer, he was released -- the Cowboys opted like several other teams to go with two quarterbacks.

"I like, first of all, that he is a professional athlete. Having played baseball, that gives you a little bit of other well-roundedness," head coach Brad Childress said. "I know his family. I know he is a great person. He’s got obviously physical tools to be able to take some snaps from Tom Brady at the University of Michigan. It didn’t work out for him for whatever reason in Dallas.

"He’s got a strong arm, he’s big in stature. He’s got a great mind, he’s a very

Prophet Guest

Re: Vikes sign Henson

http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=150&topic=27755.0

Click on Bill’s face
    [img width=189 height=231]http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/callingtheshots/images/groundhog_day.jpg[/img]

theman is offline Training Camp

Ummm...yah, right.
    Another guy who will try to replace Brad (the veteran warrior who has proven himself with a ring) and fail.
    OR, another guy who will play backup for a while then get traded to another team, wasting millions of salary cap dollars.
    But, oooh yeah, as a Vikings fan I am supposed to be excited??
    "The Vikes have gotta do what the Vikes have gotta do." ;-)

-theman, gameday

Prophet Guest

"theman" wrote:
    Ummm...yah, right.
    Another guy who will try to replace Brad (the veteran warrior who has proven himself with a ring) and fail.
    OR, another guy who will play backup for a while then get traded to another team, wasting millions of salary cap dollars.
    Be as excited as you want to be, my guess is that his wife, mom, and Henson himself are the only people that are excited about it.
    He's on the practice squad playing tiddly winks for a few weeks and they're paying him with McDonald's gift certificates...the happy meal variety.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Minnesota" wrote:
    The Vikings added quarterback Drew Henson to their practice squad Wednesday, as the team completed a search for a healthy third quarterback.

Rookie Tarvaris Jackson had successful meniscus surgery Monday and coach Brad Childress said at that time that the Vikings would be looking to add a quarterback, if for nothing else, to handle some of the practice reps behind Brad Johnson and Brooks Bollinger.

Henson, who played for the University of Michigan and then missed three years attempting a professional baseball career, spent the last two season with Dallas. After the Cowboys attempted to trade him this summer, he was released -- the Cowboys opted like several other teams to go with two quarterbacks.

"I like, first of all, that he is a professional athlete. Having played baseball, that gives you a little bit of other well-roundedness," head coach Brad Childress said. "I know his family. I know he is a great person. He’s got obviously physical tools to be able to take some snaps from Tom Brady at the University of Michigan. It didn’t work out for him for whatever reason in Dallas.

"He’s got a strong arm, he’s big in stature. He’s got a great mind, he’s a very
    Sounds like Coach Chill is not only the president of the Drew Henson Fan Club, but he is also a member (very similar to his position with the Minnesota Hair Club for Men)!

BTW, welcome to the board, MMC!
    Good first post...head on over to the Free Beer forum and tell us a little about yourself so that we can welcome you properly...and then Ultra will come by with a few virtual beers to make it official.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

"theman" wrote:
    Ummm...yah, right.
    Read the press reports . . .

He was signed to the practice squad.
    He's not here to replace Brad.

I don't know the details of his financial deal but I bet you he's getting league minimum and will probably get cut when T-Jack comes back unless he shows something better than Bollinger between now & then.

I think you're reading too much into it.

Good signing.

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

its been posted a few times, hence bill's face.

he's here just until TJ is back healthy.

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

jackyl is offline Hall of Famer

"Prophet" wrote:
    they're paying him with McDonald's gift certificates...the happy meal variety.
    or about $4000 a week.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

exactly, i think they can survive paying a guy under 20,000$ total rather then having darren sharper or someone listed as #3 QB-.-

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Slade is offline Star Spokesman

I thought he was getting paid in Disney Dollars?
    ???