Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    berserkers is offline Rookie

Vikes shut down critics

By Berserker
    Berserker's Bench Columnist
    1/9/05

The Minnesota Vikings have done what nobody thought they could do, they whipped the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field, and they did it with solid defense! Well maybe not what "nobody" thought they could do, Vikings fans never seemed to lose their faith, but the so called "experts" certainly did, and in all of the Randy Moss bashing and Brett Favre praising, they seemed to have entrenched their feet deeply within their mouths!

I find it pretty humorous actually, that with all the oral pleasuring of Brett Favre that the sports media seems to participate in, it was Favre who the blame could be placed squarely on due to his 4 interceptions. I find it even more humorous that after each and every one of the interceptions, Favre felt the necessity to point and grumble at his receivers! What a tool! I guess the sun only shines in one place for so long, and after having to endure the incessant Brett Favre interviews week after week, after having to listen to Brett Favre talk about his wife's cancer with John Madden and his brother in law's death with Chris Collinsworth, and his Father's passing with just about every sports journalist in America, that finally the Favre-a-thon ends in this manner! Let's face it, lots of people in this world encounter tragedy, but none are exalted the way golden boy is on a weekly basis. I find it absolutely priceless that this week, it is Randy Moss wiping his ass on a goal post that will steal the media attention from the golden boy!

It should also be mentioned that an integral part of the days defensive festivities were directly connected to the starting job of Willie Offord, who was filling in for the injured Corey Chavous. I have been screaming for Chavous' head all season, and this was the exact reason why! Chavous might be a "student of the game" and he might watch 700 hours of game film per week, but that certainly doesn't make him a good DB, and today you see why. A safety needs to be able to lower the boom, and Offord did that today in a big way. Although Troy Aikman and Chris Collinsworth decided to label Offord as a "defensive liability", in between fighting each other for the mirror and microphone, I have to respectfully disagree. Offord was a remarkable difference maker!

I don't know what is going to happen from here on out. I stated before this game that I don't care if we win another game in this year's playoffs; I just want to take out the fudgepackers! I must admit, now I would like to see us take out the insufferable Eagles as well. Who knows, without Owens, we might just do it. I'll tell you this; with another defensive showing like this one, it certainly seems possible!

Congratulations to the Vikes! And congratulations to Ted Cottrell! What a game!
    [img:a634b559b7]http://www.myimgs.com/data/islandercountry/bannerbbers.gif[/img:a634b559b7]

vikoles is offline Coordinator

Vikes shut down critics

i concur!
    "The pen is mightier than the sword"

dan3ski is offline Coordinator

Vikes shut down critics

I must point out that two of the three Viking wins in an outdoor stadium has been at GB.
    can we clone Bud Grant?

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Vikes shut down critics

Offord didn't play especially well. WTF was he thinking on the Franks TD?

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikes shut down critics

"berserkers" wrote:
    By Berserker
    1/9/05

The Minnesota Vikings have done what nobody thought they could do, they whipped the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field, and they did it with solid defense! Well maybe not what "nobody" thought they could do, Vikings fans never seemed to lose their faith, but the so called "experts" certainly did, and in all of the Randy Moss bashing and Brett Favre praising, they seemed to have entrenched their feet deeply within their mouths!

I find it pretty humorous actually, that with all the oral pleasuring of Brett Favre that the sports media seems to participate in, it was Favre who the blame could be placed squarely on due to his 4 interceptions. I find it even more humorous that after each and every one of the interceptions, Favre felt the necessity to point and grumble at his receivers! What a tool! I guess the sun only shines in one place for so long, and after having to endure the incessant Brett Favre interviews week after week, after having to listen to Brett Favre talk about his wife's cancer with John Madden and his brother in law's death with Chris Collinsworth, and his Father's passing with just about every sports journalist in America, that finally the Favre-a-thon ends in this manner! Let's face it, lots of people in this world encounter tragedy, but none are exalted the way golden boy is on a weekly basis. I find it absolutely priceless that this week, it is Randy Moss wiping his butt on a goal post that will steal the media attention from the golden boy!

It should also be mentioned that an integral part of the days defensive festivities were directly connected to the starting job of Willie Offord, who was filling in for the injured Corey Chavous. I have been screaming for Chavous' head all season, and this was the exact reason why! Chavous might be a "student of the game" and he might watch 700 hours of game film per week, but that certainly doesn't make him a good DB, and today you see why. A safety needs to be able to lower the boom, and Offord did that today in a big way. Although Troy Aikman and Chris Collinsworth decided to label Offord as a "defensive liability", in between fighting each other for the mirror and microphone, I have to respectfully disagree. Offord was a remarkable difference maker!

I don't know what is going to happen from here on out. I stated before this game that I don't care if we win another game in this year's playoffs; I just want to take out the fudgepackers! I must admit, now I would like to see us take out the insufferable Eagles as well. Who knows, without Owens, we might just do it. I'll tell you this; with another defensive showing like this one, it certainly seems possible!

Great take, berserkers!!! LOL on the bold comment! :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

vikes09 is offline Hall of Famer

Vikes shut down critics

great post. great defense and im proud of the way offord played. go vikes!!!

berserkers is offline Rookie

Vikes shut down critics

stallion, I have to disagree. I really think Offord provided a physical presence that has been missing all year at that position.

I will agree that he was out of position on the Franks TD, but that is no worse than how out of position Chavous seems to be on every TD... that was the only time during the game that Offord was out of position, and for a guy that has not started all season, I will take it!

How many times did Offord seperate the ball from a Packer? There was at least 3 fumbles that even though GB got them back, Offord was in on...
    His speed and impact is so much better than Chavous'.....

Now all we need to do is replace Brian Russell, and we might actually have a good secondary. Antoine Winfield had a great game too. Maybe there is hope.

Now on another note, Stallion, I would be completely lying if I didn;t mention that your avatar makes me really uncomfortable....lol
    [img:a634b559b7]http://www.myimgs.com/data/islandercountry/bannerbbers.gif[/img:a634b559b7]

vking is offline Training Camp

Vikes shut down critics

Ya I kinda hoped Offered would shake it up a little per my post earlier in the week. Needed some hits at safety and Chavous most definately wasn't doing that.

Thought the D looked real good early, but after Cotrel called off the blitzes a little, man, I thought oh no back to our passive selves. Prety sure they shouldn't send more than one linebacker into deep coverage thats for sure. If we get a little better next week watch out Eagles.

PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

Vikes shut down critics

Brilliant... I will be emailing this column to all who doubted the vikes and to all eagles fans to get a rise out of them. if you don't mind?

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Vikes shut down critics

"berserkers" wrote:
    By Berserker
    1/9/05

I find it pretty humorous actually, that with all the oral pleasuring of Brett Favre that the sports media seems to participate in, it was Favre who the blame could be placed squarely on due to his 4 interceptions. I find it even more humorous that after each and every one of the interceptions, Favre felt the necessity to point and grumble at his receivers! What a tool! I guess the sun only shines in one place for so long, and after having to endure the incessant Brett Favre interviews week after week, after having to listen to Brett Favre talk about his wife's cancer with John Madden and his brother in law's death with Chris Collinsworth, and his Father's passing with just about every sports journalist in America, that finally the Favre-a-thon ends in this manner! Let's face it, lots of people in this world encounter tragedy, but none are exalted the way golden boy is on a weekly basis. I find it absolutely priceless that this week, it is Randy Moss wiping his butt on a goal post that will steal the media attention from the golden boy!

Great piece.

The 1987 divisionals between Minnesota and San Fran was the game that made me a Vikings fan. Montana sacked 4 times and picked off twice...I'll never forget it. True underdog story. There is no reason to think we can't pull a similar upset this weekend.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast