Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Vikes sale rumour stirs again

Now it might just be stories due to the disgruntled fans gathering after this seasons change of fortune for the team. However McCombs might realise that now is a good time to move on before fans vote with their feet whilst he's still the owner. We shall see

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/10558752.htm
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Is Vikings sale to Taylor near?

CHARLEY WALTERS

Rumors were hot Monday at the Vikings' Eden Prairie offices that Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor is closing in on a purchase of the Vikings from Red McCombs.

Taylor wouldn't comment Monday, but it has been reported in this column for several months that he remains seriously interested in buying the NFL team for what he considers a fair market price. Taylor's interest hasn't diminished, and if McCombs is serious about selling the Vikings, a deal could be reached as early as this month.

The time is ripe for a sale. The Vikings are in a downslide and Sunday's loss in Washington is expected to result in hundreds , if not thousands of season ticket cancellations. McCombs hasn't experienced a local TV blackout since he bought the Vikings for $245 million six years ago, but diminished attendance could cause that next season.

Taylor, a billionaire from Mankato, Minn., quietly has positioned himself during the past year to buy the Vikings. Don't think he hasn't met with top NFL officials, as well as various team owners who would eagerly approve a sale.

McCombs, a billionaire from San Antonio, Texas, has positioned himself over the past year to sell the Vikings, limiting his investment in the team and running it at minimal expense, from the coaching staff on down. Don't think the NFL wouldn't love to have Taylor as a partner and McCombs as an ex-partner.

Chances of the state Legislature providing an out-of-town owner like McCombs with financial help for a new stadium are virtually zero. With Taylor, a former Minnesota legislative leader, as owner, chances for a new stadium would improve significantly.

With the state legislative session beginning, the timing for a sale to Taylor couldn't be better.

Look for the process to heat up in the next couple of weeks.

A year ago, during a trip to New York with his Timberwolves, Taylor met with NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue about joining the league. Taylor won't comment, but it's a good bet he met again with the NFL during his visit to New York last week, when the Wolves were in town to play the Knicks.

Insiders say Taylor would have no problem assembling an investment group to buy the Vikings. The only problem is getting McCombs to sell. A sale price of $550 million, more than double McCombs' initial investment, should get the deal done.

Blaine remains the front-runner as a site for a new stadium.

• As expected, stadium lobbyist Lester Bagley has agreed to a new deal with the Vikings, meaning the team will have a presence at this year's legislative session.

DON'T PRINT THAT

• The Twins are expected to offer Cy Young Award winner Johan Santana a $20 million, three-year contract this month that would commit him through 2007, his first year of free agency. But it's expected to take $25 million to sign the 25-year-old left-hander, who might be able to win $6 million in salary arbitration in February. Last year, Santana, seeking $2.5 million in arbitration, lost his case and had to settle for $1.6 million.

• Pssst.: A local entrepreneur wants to lure the Vikings to Eagan as part of a multi billion-dollar entertainment/stadium complex linked to a state gaming proposal.

• Look for the University of Minnesota to expedite its investigation of alleged NCAA violations in the Gophers men's tennis program, and to self-report to the NCAA.

OVERHEARD

• Coach Mike Tice, who expected his Vikings to win decidedly against Washington on Sunday: "I thought it was going to be a blowout. I must be nuts."
    Charley Walters' column appears Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays. He can be reached at [email protected]

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Lets get this down! See 'ya Red!

The Cavs in the NBA sold yesterday for $375 Million for what it is worth.

I don't know how you compare a football team to a basketball team but it seems like even $550 Million would be too much.

Maybe $500-525

2fat4uVike is offline Rookie

Oh how I hope this comes to fruition, it just irritates the crap outa me knowing how much cap money Red left in his pockets this season. He single handidly derailed the 3 year plan hanging on to that money. We need a few more key players, especially when considering the key players we've had out for the season. Bring it on Glen Taylor, we need you, the Vikings need you.
    Please Please Please, all be a good boy all year... :santa:
    088676aa021b660e4a867e020ba397cf

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"snowinapril" wrote:

I don't know how you compare a football team to a basketball team but it seems like even $550 Million would be too much.

Maybe $500-525
    Well Red has been posturing for $550 - $600 million since he put it up for sale, last year Forbes started to get the valuation in the $500m plus. Its always been said that he overpriced the team but eventually the price has caught up.
    Course given that the team is not highly regarded on a playing side may force his hand and make him sell quick - before he loses the ' games sold-out ' streak
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

"AngloVike" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:

Maybe $500-525
    Well Red has been posturing for $550 - $600 million since he put it up for sale, last year Forbes started to get the valuation in the $500m plus. Its always been said that he overpriced the team but eventually the price has caught up.
    Course given that the team is not highly regarded on a playing side may force his hand and make him sell quick - before he loses the ' games sold-out ' streak
    Anglo,
    How much would a top notch English (Football) Soccer Team go for in the premier league? Man U for instance?

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"snowinapril" wrote:

Maybe $500-525
    Snow, yes Red is asking too much. The Browns were bought for $550 million with a new stadium. As far a basketball, the arena was much cheaper to build, but the CAVS have a newer arena. I think there are most costs associated with football anyhow. Who cares? If I had $550 million I would buy it!

This article confirms something I've been wondering since our latest mid-season slide. Hasn't Red been lowering the value of the team through his actions over the last few seasons (by giving the perception that he doesn't care about the success of the franchise)?

Some fans are getting a sour taste in their mouths (which could lead to possible falling season ticket sales) and possible buyers do not want to pony up the cash Red is asking for the team.

He refuses to put money forth for a new stadium.
    He has threatened to move the team.
    He has just extended the contract of the lowest paid head coach in the NFL who has a record of underachieving teams (which is partly due to his thrifty ownership).

Maybe this latest devaluation of the team due to our poor showing late this season will actually pay of for everyone. If Glen Taylor can get the team for what it is truly worth right now, it may be for the best. I'm willing to sacrifice whatever it may take for new ownership as soon as possible.

But I still hope we beat the pack next Sunday...
    Even babies know the difference.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Unless the Vikes go deep into the playoffs season tickets for next season are expected to drop by 10%. Some agencies are reporting that the team could face blackouts next year as fan apathy is growing.

One of the main reasons for fans disillusionment with the team was Red McCombs as the owner. They stated that he is not trying to improve the team, just make as much money off the team as he can.

Another reason stated was that the team was underachiving!

Red must see the writing on the wall, if he hangs onto the team and attendance drops and he they have blackouts the value of the team will drop. And since he can not move them the only choice would be to sell the team now!
    Let us pray that this comes true!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast