Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vikes Problem

Vikes Problem

First of all I am new to the site, but have been a life long Viking fan and live and die with them every week.

The Vikings right now have a lot of problems:

1.) Mike Tice and His Coaching Staff- The coaching staff is really bad. With the roster the team has there is no way they should be this bad. Tice has been horrible ever since day 1. How he is still around is beyond me. Tice has to be the worst coach in the NFL. Only coaches that even come remotely close are Sherman and Martz.

2.) The Offensive Line. I really think this may be the worst offensive line in the NFL, worse than the Texans. If Daunte wasn't mobile he may be dead right now. They have drive killing penalties from the offensive line every single week. Rosenthal gets called for holding twice a game. The false starts by everyone are inexcusable. It seems like they give up more sacks when they are in the shotgun. That should never happen. Part of that is on Daunte to get rid of the ball, but when you have no time its hard. They can't throw the ball deep down the field because they have no time. The run blocking, especially on the left side has been horrible. If you can't run the ball its much harder to pass. Teams get us in 3rd and long and blitz everyone against a line that can't block and BAM! the problems occur. Also, the red zone offense all year has been bad.

3.) Lack of Discipline- This is Tice's fault. Its evident in the offensive line play and the numerous stupid penalties. DT lining up offsides is inexcusable and should never happen. The off the field issues go along with the lack of discipline.

4.) Lack of a #1 WR- They have a group of good WR but lack the go-to guy. Burleson being hurt hasn't helped matters. I don't even think he is a #1, I think hes a great #2 WR. Marcus Robinson is decent, Taylor has been disappointing, Williamson doesn't get enough PT, and K-Rob needs to get more PT. At least Wiggins is out there making shit happen (10 catches). If the play calling was better and the Offensive line was better they could get away without having a #1 WR, but the play calling has been bad and the Offensive Line is horrible.

I'd like other people's thoughts on this. It's so frustrating to watch a season like this where we should be extremely better. They are killing themselves with the boneheaded penalties and the horrible coaching staff. I'll still be there all year and forever rooting them on. If they are to only win 2 more games this year it better be against the packers!

WHY HASN'T TICE BEEN FIRED YET!?!?...It can't hurt to get rid of the whole coaching staff now while were still actually in the division race and see if theres any possible way of salvaging the season. I dont know who they would get to replace him, but there has to be someone out there who can do a better job than Tice. It's impossible to do worse.

Re: Vikes Problem

Welcome aboard.
    I dont think Taylor is a disappointment he has been doing ok and I dont think we should get rid of a head coach in the middle of the season.

Del Rio Guest

I think Tice was/is too soft, I also think he was never given a shot. Red never helped him build a supporting cast worth having. His contracts were always short just in case......the guy was shafted from the get go.

Most teams when they get a new coach are excited the owners are excited they want to support that coach get the ball rolling, meet his needs and win some games. Not our team, our owner was wondering what he could get for a couple bucks.

I have never liked Tice, and it's not that I don't like him. I don't like the idea of him, the way he was hired. We had a chance to get a QUALITY coach at the time. I have held that grudge against Tice for some reason.

If I wanted to blame a single coach it would be Ted Cottrell.

As far as this season goes I am not at all surprised and it isn't because we traded Moss I am glad we did. There are just too many new faces. A staff that has no future even if they were winnning and a team that is searching for an idenity.

It's just going to take some time. I said it before Tice is gone. I called it after game one. The guy is out and his entire staff is gone too. Wilf said Tice is here for the season I trust he is good for his word. So unless Tice quits he will be around the whole year. After that he will be fishing.

Kind of sucks for him. I have a feeling he is going to have those guys winning some games here soon.

Big C is offline Coordinator

Agreed. The reason we have Tice and this shitty coaching staff is because they were cheap. We gain absolutely nothing by getting rid of the Tice and Co right now. They way we're playing right now, we're just a few mental errors away from a win. Replacing the caching staff will only throw in new schemes and replace bad with worse. Tice and Cottrell will be gone next year. That's almost a given.

As for the O-Line I think they played a little better yesterday (compared to the last few weeks). A couple of the sacks were Dante's fauly of not being able to find an open reciever. But that's also a credit to the Chicago D and not totally on Dante.

The play-calling was pretty decent in the first two quarterd. But ever since that stoooooopid-effing draw to Bennett on 3rd and 3 in the second quarter things just went down hill very very fast.

If RB by committee doesn't work, I don't see how the hell Offensive-Coordinator by committee could.
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

"finnishvikingsfan" wrote:
    Welcome aboard.
    I dont think Taylor is a disappointment he has been doing ok and I dont think we should get rid of a head coach in the middle of the season.
    I think you are absolutely right even though I hate Mike Tice. The stats for a coach coming in mid season and having wins is 3-13 overall. It's pathetic and just not a possibility even though I would love to have him gone today!

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"Big C" wrote:
    Agreed. The reason we have Tice and this poohie coaching staff is because they were cheap.
    Sarcasm On
    Let's just go back to blaming Denny again.

If Denny wouldn't have quit, Tice wouldn't have been interim coach for a game and might not have been considered for the HC position.

It is Denny's fault.

JK

Sarcasm Off

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"VikingFanEric" wrote:
    4.) Lack of a #1 WR- They have a group of good WR but lack the go-to guy. Burleson being hurt hasn't helped matters. I don't even think he is a #1, I think hes a great #2 WR. Marcus Robinson is decent, Taylor has been disappointing, Williamson doesn't get enough PT, and K-Rob needs to get more PT. At least Wiggins is out there making pooh happen (10 catches). If the play calling was better and the Offensive line was better they could get away without having a #1 WR, but the play calling has been bad and the Offensive Line is horrible.

It is hard to have a number one wide receiver when your QB is so gun shy that he does not look at who is open, and immediately throws to the dump guy because he is playing scared.

I think the group of wide receivers we have is as good as anybody in the league, and it lies else where on why they are not being utilized correctly!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Why didn't Culpepper run yesterday. It's like he had one week where he ran when he was in trouble, and go figure it was the saints game and we won. Yesterday he ran on the first drive and got a nice first down and I don't remember him running after that. Granted a lot of times he had no time to run anywhere, but I know for sure later in the game when he threw the pick that was tipped he could have just taken the ball and run for at least a few yards. I just don't understand what the he!! is wrong with him this year.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    Why didn't Culpepper run yesterday. It's like he had one week where he ran when he was in trouble, and go figure it was the saints game and we won. Yesterday he ran on the first drive and got a nice first down and I don't remember him running after that. Granted a lot of times he had no time to run anywhere, but I know for sure later in the game when he threw the pick that was tipped he could have just taken the ball and run for at least a few yards. I just don't understand what the he!! is wrong with him this year.
    He has a leg injury for one. Also it's called MOSS. There is NO deep threat. The Vikings have fine WR's. It's just the timing is not there yet. The run game is non-existent. So were does that leave us with short outs and slants. Well that means we are now 1 dimensional and well teams on 'D' tend to like that. HENCE all the blitz packages yesterday. We moved the ball against a GOOD 'D' we just did not finish for whatever reason. We beat ourselves with lack of focus. Which is what I said A LONG TIME ago on this board.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Having Moss has nothing to do with cpep running the ball. He just won't have the really long runs that he's had in the past, but he can still run the ball.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast