Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Articnv is offline Coach

Stadium

Right now the stadium will not go through unless red puts up more money for a stadium bcz the stae is runnign a deficte. Also if a statium gets built with public tax money the stae unions will strike when there contract due to the State slashign there benfits and wage freezes from the last strike. The only real way were going to get a new stadium is if Rred puts up more money for the stadium, Red wont because the on;y thign he cares about is the money he makes.

deviking is offline Rookie

Vikes moving after 2011

Hey everyone who thought that the stars wouldnt leave and we got called on that bluff LOL NORM GREED :angryfire: still hurts to say it. But ultimatly the vikes are the oldest major franchise in Minny. The voters of minnesota are to liberal sometimes in the thought process spec members of the fdl lol. The only ones that can make this happen is the voters.
    [img:2c772403b6]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/DUEviking.jpg[/img:2c772403b6]

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Vikes moving after 2011

"Jarhead" wrote:
    "UTVikfan" wrote:
    Jarhead, do you also think our armed forces should be paid by private money? How about paving the roads? Do you do that with private money? Or High Schools? Do you finance those with private money? Come on now. The Vikings make a big, big, big impact on the economy there. And the government gets paid on that money. Are you from MN.? If so sounds like your part of the problem, that just may get all that money outta your economy really fast. Look at cities that have lost NFL teams. All of them except L.A. have gotten them back, fast as they can. Bet the Gov. at the time those teams left didn't get re-elected either. Theatre of the Arts? LOL, that cracks me up.
    What a stupid comparison. Building a stadium for a sports team or fighting wars? Hmmm which one should the government do? Providing sports facilities for professional sports teams who are owned by billionaires is not the job of the government. What other private interests should the government provide facilities for? Should they build factories for 3M too? If the Vikings have a "big, big, big" impact on the economy then 3M has a big, big, big, big, big, big, big impact on the economy. Why not build factories for them too?

I'm not against sports teams, and I don't want the Vikings to leave Mn, and in an ideal world owners would build their own faclities without public money. The people already fund teams through tickets purchases, merchandise sales, and buying the products of advertisers. They shouldn't have to build the stadium too. If the legislature did provide money for a stadium I wouldn't be upset about it because it's a reality. It's just not the ideal.

You make some valid points, there are a few things that should be looked at tho.

A few million people do not tune in each week to see people work at 3M, and the exposure for the state having this coverage and advertisement is very beneficial to promoting Minnesota. Nationally televised games(Sunday or Monday night games) the people watching goes up to 20 to 30 million.

And when you are trying to get companies to have conventions here or moving their companies here, having a pro football team is a good selling point!

The downtown Minneapolis area during the weekends is usually very deserted, on Sundays when the Vikes play it brings close to 70,000 people into the area, that creates more revenue for the businesses in that area.

The state and local governments will also receive taxes off money spent at the dome and off of the players salaries, if the team wasn't here they would not collect this income.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Vikes moving after 2011

Sports teams fall into the same category as art and culture. If the government funds the building of art, or architecture for aesthetic appeal which improves quality of life of the population it fits that they should give money to help keep the vikings (an important part of minnesotan culture, from what I can tell) in Minnesota.

That being said, I wouldn't mind if they moved to Calgary

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Vikes moving after 2011

"Del Rio" wrote:
    I'm not sure how much a state benifits from a team. I know with the buisinessess here in Utah they mostly lease the ground they build on a pay a certain tax. I would imagine that a state gains much more from a sports team.

I do not agree it is the owners responsibility, they should meet somewhere in the middle. Taxes for a stadium should go to the public for a vote. If the public decides they want to help front the bill by paying a couple extra dollars a year then that would be fair.

Sounds like you guys are convinced you will get a new stadium eventually only that for some reason Red is holding up the process. And if it's because Minnesota or the people of Minnesota want him to front the bill i don't blame him. But he should be willing to put forth a portion

Red did agree to pay a portion of the stadium cost, a 100 Million, the NFL would contribute 50 million.

The land would have been donated and the city (Minneapolis) was willing to put up 100 Million.

The stadium would have cost about 500 Million and the 250 Million left would have been an increase in the sales tax for the 8 county area surrounding the Twin Cities.
    But it got voted down, and their has been about 10 more prosposals that made sence, but they all got shotdown (killed in committee).

One proposal looked at the idea of doing a stadium for the Gophers and the Vikes, but the U wants to play on campus (and I agree). There was not enough room on campus to build the stadium and have enough parking for the Vikings to play their games there. Also the Gophers and Vikes couldn't come to an agreement on the revenue split from boxes, parking and advertisement so that idea died.

Del Rio Guest

Vikes moving after 2011

So the community would front half the bill (250million) through increased sales tax? Does anyone know the proposed percent of increase? I mean spending 10 cents more on your Sharmin would be a small price to pay for a new stadium. I'm curious to the percent and duration of the sales tax.

Thanks for the info Whack.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Vikes moving after 2011

With the ARTS and Govt

Affluent people attend artsie things. Influence(Money) does sway votes. I am not surprised at all that the art center was built and the stadium gets shot down. McCombs is an out of stater and really has no leverage other than the Vikes.

I think what WHACK said above would count as some leverage but the politicians don't see it that way.

Vikes moving after 2011

It would have been a bar / restaurant tax of 2 or 3% increase from the current amount.

So if you spent 20.00 bucks on a dinner, it would have cost you an extra 40 or 60 cents in tax.

Del Rio Guest

Vikes moving after 2011

I don't see a problem with increasing sales tax for something like this. But then again i don't live there, but if the roles were reversed I would in a heart beat. Whenever people hear tax increase they seem to automatically freak out.

Utah has had interest in a football team numerous times in the past, but it failed not because of money, but because the games would be played on Sunday.

Jarhead is offline Rookie

Vikes moving after 2011

I'm not saying that the Vikings don't provide some revenue for downtown Minneapolis, or that the sate doesn't get some sales tax revenue from the team. Most of the people who go to Vikings games don't actually spend that much money in downtown Minneapolis though. They bring their own food and their own beer and tailgate. Some of them go to resturants and bars but not that many. Most of the money spent is on parking.

What I'm saying is that using economic impact alone isn't enough to justify building facilities for private businesses with public money. Use the same reasoning for building offices for Enron or some other evil company. Go ahead and insert your favorite evil greedy multinational. I think the Vikes are different from other arts and culture expenses (which I don't like either) because 1) they are a private business and 2) $350 million plus the land is a lot more than is generally spent on your typical arts and culture event. I think it would take a long time for the state to recoup that money through taxes. And the problem with tax increases to pay for such things is that they don't go away whent the project is paid for. They stay there and get added to the next time something like this comes up.

If it got on the ballot and the people of the state approved it then fine. The people have spoken and they are willing to pay more in taxes for a stadium. Like I said it's a reality and I wouldn't be upset about it I would just rather have billionaire owners spend their own money on their own businesses.
    And, ladies and gentlemen, I also know that he cannot lead troops to victory in a war when he has made it perfectly clear that he does not support the cause. -Gen. Tommy Franks on John Kerry-

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast