Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    rjkvikings is offline Asst. Coach

Vikes moving after 2011

This would suck if it happens! We need a new stadium here!

From the Star Tribune (http://www.startribune.com/stories/507/5007947.html):

Jottings

At the Bears game, Vikings owner Red McCombs said he had given up on getting a stadium built here. A person close to the Vikings situation said McCombs might be able to persuade officials in a city such as Portland, Ore., to build an NFL stadium that would be ready for the Vikings after their lease at the Metrodome runs out in 2011. The source said the NFL doesn't want to lose this good television market, but if there isn't any progress on the stadium situation here in a couple of years, the NFL would give McCombs its blessing to move if a stadium was built elsewhere.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Vikes moving after 2011

Yes it would RJK, hopefully it is a bluff or that we get a new stadium in 4 or 5 years!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Del Rio Guest

Vikes moving after 2011

I'm not from Minny, and am curious what is the deal with the new stadium?

Is it not going through because of the public?

Or is it because of Red?

eelpout72 is offline Starter

Vikes moving after 2011

2011? Sounds like a sci-fi movie. Doesnt seem too threatening as a lot could happen between then and now. More importantly, i doubt that McCombs would wait that long. By that time, i would expect that something would have to be worked out to get a new stadium in MN.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Vikes moving after 2011

A lot of the local politicians ran on a platform of no money for stadiums and rich owners. So everytime a stadium comes up, it gets shot down in committee before it gets to the floor for a vote.

The Governor and some polititians are behind getting new stadiums for the Vikes, Twins and an on campus stadium for the Gophers (which would be great).

After they said all this, the same politians approved over $100 million dollars for a new downtown theater for the arts!

It will be a fight but having Red out of the picture. If Glenn Taylor (owner of the Wolves) would buy the team it would help, he was a congressman and has some good contacts.

I still think we will get one, it is just going to take some time.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

pep2moss is offline Rookie

Vikes moving after 2011

man this was suck to see the vikes leave. i'm not a big fan of red myself and if this would happen i would really hate him. everyone in minny and alot of the surrounding areas love the vikes and im sure if they moved they wouldnt get the same support as we give

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Vikes moving after 2011

Jesse "the Bod" was the leader of this "we are not going to pay" wasn't he. I know the Bod is gone from office but it seems that he was the one speaking out on this and it spilled over.

Also, where is he going to move the Vikes too. San Antonio?? They definitely do not have a good stadium. It is the same indoor atmosphere. The only thing that would be different would be the contract. Why can't they renegotiate the contract to have them stay in the Met-Dome if the new stadium isn't built.

They are basing this arguement toward your fear of loss. I don't think they move the Vikes. That would be a travis-sham-mockery. We have a huge fan base. It better not happen. If it did it would have to go down like the browns. We would have to be promised a new franchise and maybe taylor would come in. I am not for the last idea so please keep the Vikes in MN.

brock is offline Rookie

Vikes moving after 2011

Wow,..Oregon? Please...no.
    Greenway>You

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Vikes moving after 2011

"brock" wrote:
    Wow,..Oregon? Please...no.
    Lesnar are you refering to my MR. Robert Smith. The Smith that hails from THE Ohio State University?? :scratch:

Onterio doesn't get the title of Mr.Smith until he take the rushing record away from Robert. He will still be O.Smith.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

Vikes moving after 2011

Red McCombs will not be the owner of the Vikings come 2011. At least I would really be surprised if he was. My guess is that someone will come along that can negotiate the new stadium as part of the purchase.

WWBGD

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast