Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikes look at other stadium sites?

If the Dome is remodeled, the obsrtucted views need to be the first to go.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"AngloVike" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    KFFL
    Vikings | Wilf may have to consider upgrading the MetrodomeWed, 24 May 2006 19:22:34 -0700

Sid Hartman, of the Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings owner Zygi Wilf will continue working with Anoka County to see if the 2007 Legislature will approve a county tax to help fund a football stadium and a business development. With construction costs soaring, Wilf said that the cost of building stadiums in the future might be prohibitive. With that said, he is going to explore all possibilities of improving the Metrodome for the fans and try to find ways to improve the revenue for the franchise. It might be a longshot, but maybe in the long run the remodeling of the Metrodome would be a lot cheaper than building a new football stadium.
    I guess this idea could work at a stretch but a few things need to be done. Firstly need the Twins and Gophers out so that any work could be ongoing during off seasons without getting in anyone elses way. I then assume that Wilf would have to purchase the Dome from the MSC, that way it would totally his to do with as he pleases. That way then the Vikes would then have access to ALL money coming in from tickets, suites, concessions etc etc.
    I'm not sure what would be needed in terms of improving the local infrastructure as I tend to walk from a local hotel rather than drive when I attend games.
    Several immediate downsides would exist with this option though
    1. reputation of the Dome - for every fan that likes the place there are at least an equal number that dislike it. This may be due to it being a dome as opposed to open-air but also due to their views on facilities available. These people are likely to still hate the place whatever is done to remodel/upgrade it
    2. lack of tailgating lots/parking - the areas open for tailgating and parking have declined in recent years, even since I started attending games in 2000, and the local area doesn't look to be able to reverse this. This will be even harder in the next few years when the present parking at Rapid Park vanishes under the Twins new ballpark. From what I've seen of the area then the space will not be available to replace this. Not only will this affect Vikes fans but will be a big knock back for any plans to host SuperBowls again in Minnesota.

Somehow I just can't see the MSC letting go of the Dome to a private owner as they will always be looking for a slice of the action, even though it is long paid for - either that or they will look to sell it at such an overpriced figure that Zygi will tell them where to get off.
    For the architects amongst you - whats the possibility of fitting a retractable roof to the Dome as the structure stands ? is it possible or does it require major structural work ?

Still this gives us a bit more to speculate on until next year :lol:
    Screw all that...if the Twins and Gophers got new stadiums, then so should the Vikes!!! Besides, it makes much more sense to have the football team play in the suburbs (which allows for more parking, easier to get to and more room for expansion and more specialized facilties for football-related activities). If anything, they need to remodel the Metrodome for the Twins...it makes much more sense to have the baseball team playing in the city. Once again, the DUMB BASSES will get it wrong!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

I just can't see this happening. With the Northern Lights area the stadium will be the least of the money making proposition for Zygi. The rentals on the shopping and hospital complex and town houses, etc will make him millions.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

Move to the "Ice BoX !!!"

International Fals baby .... no roof, get alot more Canadian support and Labatt's as the official sponsor ... (have never liked Miller Lite)

Said it before, will say it again .... Orlando is the place to be if they move out !!! Mickey and the Vikes baby !!!!

Json is offline GM

Plan B and or C is Los Angeles. I'd put money on it folks.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Ok everyone.. Who actually owns the Metrodome? I'm pretty sure it is not Wilf, so why in the hell will he have to pay for upgrades? Dam legislators are going to regret the day they turned the Vikes down..

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"Json" wrote:
    Plan B and or C is Los Angeles. I'd put money on it folks.

You are probably right.. I wouldn't fault Wilf for looking elsewhere for a home for the Vikings. He has done almost everything he could do to keep the Vikings in Minnesota. It is the Legislators of Minnesota that are pushing him out.

badbois is offline Pro-Bowler

This is a football state and the viking need a stdium. they are the most popular sports team in the area, so they shouldn't be the ones playing in the crapdome.

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

You know, Mayor Daley said a while back that he'd like a second team in Chicago....

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Everyone wants the Vikings except Minnesota's legislators!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast