marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

Vikes like right side of o-line, too...

Vikings Like The Right Side Of Their Line, Too

(AP) Mankato, Minn. Perennial Pro Bowl pick Matt Birk is back at center for Minnesota after missing a season because of injury. New acquisition Steve Hutchinson, an All-Pro, got the richest contract for a guard in NFL history. Bryant McKinnie is close to becoming one of the game's elite tackles.

Clearly, the left side of the Vikings' offensive line has the potential to be one of the NFL's best, a group Chester Taylor and any other running back behind them ought to be able to trust to follow when they need a tough yard.

But coach Brad Childress stressed that the line is a five-man unit, and he said he's equally happy with guard Artis Hicks and tackle Marcus Johnson on the right side.

"I like my right side," Childress said. "Marcus is a year better, and I know what Artis is. I like the left side ... those five have to play together."

Hicks, who was acquired in a draft-day trade with Childress' former team, Philadelphia, has played left guard and a bit of left tackle for all of his four pro seasons. But the 6-foot-4, 335-pound Hicks is switching sides, a more difficult transition that it might seem.

The blocking assignments are similar, but the movements are not. Hicks has been getting used to pushing off with his right foot, leading with the left, and using his right hand in the three-point stance. On the other side, it's just the opposite.

"I tell people it's like being right-handed and trying to write with your left hand," Hicks said. "It just doesn't feel right. The more reps I get, the more comfortable I feel."

Hicks has the advantage of playing four seasons in the Eagles' system, which mirrors what the Vikings are implementing. He knows the terminology and philosophy and what's expected of the linemen.

"We have something to prove," Hicks said. "When you have a left side like we do, teams are going to pay attention, but we have a job to do, too. Our job is just as important as the left."

Johnson, who is listed at 6-foot-6 and 321 pounds, was the team's second-round draft choice in 2005 and became the first rookie guard in team history to start the season opener. He ended up starting four games there, where he made 45 starts at the University of Mississippi, then made four starts at right tackle.

"Marcus is so talented," Birk said. "If he improves as much this year as he did last year, he can be a great right tackle."

Johnson, who declined interview requests Tuesday and Wednesday, is a quiet person, though Hicks said his training camp roommate is much more outgoing away from the field.

"You might not think he says much, but he's one of the silliest, fun guys I know," Hicks said. "He's nonstop humor, and he's a genuine person. I've known that from the first time I met him."

Opposing teams might see Johnson as the weak link in the offensive line, given his inexperience, but quarterback Brad Johnson said he's not concerned.

"A lot is expected out of Marcus," the quarterback said. "He plays hard and loves it. I enjoy playing with him, no doubt."

By all accounts, the right-side duo has been meshing quickly. It will be important for the Vikings to rely on them, for balance and unpredictability in play-calling.

"We're getting a feel for each other, and we're starting to click," Hicks said. "In this league, if you're one-dimensional in anything you do, teams will figure you out."

Notes:@ Receiver Marcus Robinson (neck), running back Ciatrick Fason (concussion) and McKinnie (hand) all left Wednesday's practice prematurely. Linebacker Marcus Lawrence also missed practice with an unknown injury. None of the injuries appeared to be serious. ... Safety Darren Sharper was limited Tuesday with a hamstring strain, but he was back on the field Wednesday and took part in some of the drills. ... Childress ended Wednesday morning's practice 30 minutes early and canceled the short, no-pads workout in the afternoon, the first time he's done that this camp.

(© 2006 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
    -Sno

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Re: Vikes like right side of o-line, too...

Very nice article... Haven't heard much about the right side this year. Sounds like great news.

Prophet Guest

Nice article[size=9px](except it's copyrighted and doesn't have a link).[/size]

The line has one mind, it cannot be stopped.

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

http://wcco.com/sports/local_story_221174927.html

There's the address. I don't know the html code to make it a link.
    -Sno

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

nice read, i've been saying all along our entire line has the potential to be one of the most dominant, not just our left side - expecting big things this year from those 5 men

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

our line def has some power to it..
    so much potential.. consistnent on the left, power house on the left, leadership in the center, expereience on the right, and potential on the right.. one solid line

i'm ready for some football!!
    i m better than you, so just give up...

Prophet Guest

KFFL
    Vikings | Cook moves ahead of A. Goldberg
    Thu, 10 Aug 2006 00:33:31 -0700

Adam Doctolero, of KFAN.com, reports Minnesota Vikings C Ryan Cook appears to have bypassed OT Adam Goldberg for the No. 2 tackle spot. The coaching staff likes Cook's flexibility and plan on using him in a number of spots. Cook said, " It's coming along, it's just a lot of different footwork. Especially moving from the inside to the outside, it's a lot of little technical things I need to work on. I think that was part of the reason why they drafted me, because they thought I was versatile in being able to play more than one position. Not only being able to play center, but also tackle. The more you can do, the harder it is to get rid of you. I was a little surprised they moved me up the depth chart so quick, but they feel I need to get the reps in there at that position, and I'm just here to go to work everyday."

Del Rio Guest

"Prophet" wrote:
    KFFL

Adam Doctolero, of KFAN.com, reports Minnesota Vikings C Ryan Cook appears to have bypassed OT Adam Goldberg for the No. 2 tackle spot. The coaching staff likes Cook's flexibility and plan on using him in a number of spots. Cook said, " It's coming along, it's just a lot of different footwork. Especially moving from the inside to the outside, it's a lot of little technical things I need to work on. I think that was part of the reason why they drafted me, because they thought I was versatile in being able to play more than one position. Not only being able to play center, but also tackle. The more you can do, the harder it is to get rid of you. I was a little surprised they moved me up the depth chart so quick, but they feel I need to get the reps in there at that position, and I'm just here to go to work everyday."
    That's good to see.
    This is exactly the reason I was glad we drafted him when we did. He's so big and so quick that he could probably play any position on the line if he had to.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"Del Rio" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    KFFL

That's good to see.
    This is exactly the reason I was glad we drafted him when we did. He's so big and so quick that he could probably play any position on the line if he had to.

That is great for the rookie, but doesn't say much for Goldberg.. Is their a cut in the future for Adam Goldberg?