Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Vikes LAST in NFC North

http://www.dailynorseman.com/story/2007/5/29/133219/422
    The Pro Football Weekly NFL preview issue is already at a newsstand...Predictably, they've picked the Vikings to finish in last place in the NFC North with a record of 5-11.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Re: Vikes LAST in NFC North

Some "experts" had us going to the Super Bowl last year. I dont worry to much about what they say.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I doubt we'll finish behind the Lions.

The difference between second and last in the NFC North according to PFW is two games.
    That may end up being the case.
    I just don't see the Vikings finishing with a worse record than last year.
    They rated our defense extremely high, second only to the Bears in the NFC North, and gave us a #1 ranking for RB.
    But they ranked us last in both QB and WR.
    Not an unfair ranking, but I think we will end up surprising them.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

It should be an interesting year overall.
    Too many new pieces to even try to predict how it will all play out.
    There is a lot of youth and hopefully a good core to build a solid team around.
    TJ is probably the biggest swing factor at this point, the WR core is extremely unproven, but I think the play of TJ will be more telling as to how this season unfolds.
    And expectations for him should probably not be real high this year..

Be competitive, show growth throughout the year and get me pumped going into next year.
    Thats what I'm looking at out of the 07-08 season.
    Go backwards from last year and all hell will break loose.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

And this surprises who?

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

I think the division will be very close with 10 wins being enough to win the division.

The bears were good last years but if briggs doesn't play there defense definetly takes a big step backwards and they lost there best offensive player, that running back I can't think of. 6 wins

The lions will have a potent offense but zero defense. If calvin johnson can be as good as advertised they can probably outscore there appoinent a few times. 9 wins

The packers put there entire franchise in the hand favre so they are screwed. 4 wins

The vikings should have a much improved defense, with erasmus james and chad greenway coming back from injuries. The vikings offense lost it's best recievers and the best qb from last year but have a young qb with good potential and running game to build an offense around. 9 wins.

So I think it will come down to the vikes and lions.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Interesting

QB - Packers (B-), Lions (C+), Bears (C+), Vikings (D+)
    This makes a little bit of sense but If I was ranking them it would look like
    QB- Packers (C-), TIE Lions (D+), Bears (D+), Vikings (D+)

The fact of the matter is that no one in the NFC north has a good starting quarterback for next year. Favre is old and could be as bad as 05. Kitna is old and didn't do well at all last year... Maybe he'll be a little bit better with Calvin Johnson but i'm not sold. We all saw Rex Grossman last year. And finally Tarvaris is completely unproven.

RB - Vikings (B+), Lions (B-), Bears (B-), Packers (D+)
    These rankings actually look about right. We have a good 1-2 punch. I'm not sold on Kevin Jones considering the fact that we held him to NEGATIVE yardage last year so I would give the lions a C+. The bears should be around a C+ too with the departure of Thomas Jones.. The packers look about right with no true #1.

WR - Lions (B+), Bears (C+), Packers (C), Vikings (D)
    Again, decent rankings here minus the bears being that high. The Lions will be good with Roy Williams ,Calvin Johnson Mike Furrey. The Bears will be getting worse in the receiver column in my opinion since Muhammad is getting older however the addition of Greg Olsen doesn't hurt. The packers IMO should be swapped with the Bears. I like a Greg Jennings and Donald Driver combo despite their lack of a tight end. And yes, the truth is that we have the worse wide receivers in the north. We have no true proven wide receivers but we have a TON of potential. By the end of the season we could be first in this column with an A-, but on the flip side we could end up with an F as all of our "potential" busts.

OL - Bears (B+), Vikings (B), Packers (C+), Lions (D)
    Again, they seem to be breaking these down well positionally. We have the potential to be the best line in the league but our right side is holding us back. It'll be interesting to see. The lions and packers lines both suck to put it bluntly.

DL - Bears (B), Vikings (B-), Lions (B-), Packers (C)-
    I feel like we should be more towards a B or B+ in this category with the return of Erasmus James, the experience gained by Ray Edwards and Jayme Mitchell, and the addition of Brian Robison in the draft.. This in combination with the two williams should make for a great year on the defensive line. Of Course i've been drinking the purple kool-aid since the draft so I can completely understand the ranking of a B- after our less than stellar d-line play from last year.

LB - Bears (A-), Vikings (B-), Packers (B-), Lions (C-)
    Bears should be losing a step with Lance Briggs holding out. A B- looks about right for us with a little bit of doubt at Middle linebacker and with Greenway coming in not having any NFL experience.
    DB - Bears (B+), Vikings (B-), Packers (B-), Lions (C)
    Interesting.. I see us being better than the bears in this category if Winfield gets his act together and shows up for TC. We are definitely the most stacked at safety and I trust Ced Griffin, Winfield, and Marcus McCauley to be great in coverage.
    ST - Chicago (A), Lions (B), Vikings (C), Packers (C-)
    Looks just about fine.

So yeah, I agree with pretty much all of their rankings but it is strange that they wouldn't have us in 2nd in the North judging
    by their rankings.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

So, one more article, and the answer is still the same.

We're as uncertain as those bags of potato chips with 'mixed spices'. I still say let them all think we're going to suck. I think we'll surprise some teams, and as long as we improve our playing I'd probably be happy if we go around .500

We know the big question marks are; QB, WR, ROL and Pass Rush. So what, lets play the season and see how the dice falls.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"cogitans" wrote:

We're as uncertain as those bags of potato chips with 'mixed spices'. I still say let them all think we're going to suck. I think we'll surprise some teams, and as long as we improve our playing I'd probably be happy if we go around .500

We know the big question marks are; QB, WR, ROL and Pass Rush. So what, lets play the season and see how the dice falls.
    I actually expect better than that.
    We need a winning season if we want the stadium bill to go anywhere.
    Anything less is unacceptable.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:

I actually expect better than that.
    We need a winning season if we want the stadium bill to go anywhere.
    Anything less is unacceptable.
    I sure hope we will too, but I have no expectations right now.

All I care about is that I see some improvements in our play. Especially on offense.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast