Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Vikes hire consultants: Jerry Rhome & Foge Fazio

Some more positives about Rhome;

Noted for his work with quarterbacks, Rhome will try to get Daunte Culpepper on track. Culpepper, slowed by a strained medial collateral ligament and bursitis in his right knee, has thrown 10 interceptions and only four touchdown passes.

"I have great respect for him," Rhome said of Culpepper. "He's a very talented young man, and I'm really kind of anxious to meet him and see him in person. I've watched him, and I've been very impressed.

"Sometimes, somebody different saying something to you might help."

Rhome has helped plenty of top-flight quarterbacks. He has tutored 10 QBs who have been to the Pro Bowl, and most of them played in at least one Super Bowl. Joe Theismann, Doug Williams, Troy Aikman, Steve McNair and Kurt Warner are among his pupils. He also wrote a book in 2003 titled "How to Grow a Winning Quarterback."
    If the Vikings can work out an arrangement with him, Rhome could help the team's undermanned coaching staff in several areas. A former Heisman Trophy runner-up as a quarterback at Tulsa, Rhome also has coached receivers and has served as an offensive coordinator.

The addition of Rhome also would ease Loney's return to the sideline, where he can work closely with his offensive line while continuing to provide input on play calling. Rhome also could provide input on whether the Vikings' offensive coaches are installing too much into game plans.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Vikings officially add two coaches:
    Rhome, Fazio will help for remainder of season

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

Deep into their game plan for Sunday's key matchup in Chicago, the Vikings have finalized arrangements to add former NFL coordinators Jerry Rhome and Foge Fazio to the coaching staff for the rest of the season.

Vikings chairman Zygi Wilf followed through on his commitment to bolster coach Mike Tice's staff, agreeing to add Fazio as a defensive consultant and Rhome as a passing-game consultant. As Tice said last week, Fazio is expected to undertake a more limited role, given his prior commitments, working at Winter Park for part of the week and spending game days in the coaches' booth.

Rhome will become a central part of the offensive coaching staff, freeing up Tice and offensive coordinator Steve Loney.

Rhome was not available for comment Monday.

Tice stressed that Rhome's addition does not reflect poorly upon Loney, who doubles as the team's offensive line coach.

"Steve is still the offensive coordinator," Tice said.

Tice said Loney will have final say on the weekly offensive game plans. Loney will call plays in to Tice, who will continue relaying them to quarterback Daunte Culpepper, an indication that Tice is still the ultimate decision maker.

In his assessment, Loney said Rhome originally was supposed to be a "bye week set of eyes," but Loney added that he is open to Rhome's expanded tenure and duties.

"I have no problems with it," Loney said of Rhome's addition. "I've said a thousand times, I just want to have success, and whatever that takes, I'm for."

Loney added that his commitment is to improve the offensive line but emphasized that his coordinator duties have not changed.

"That's a comfort level for me, and that's where my expertise lies," Loney said of the offensive line. "But when you're coordinating, you have to have your finger on all aspects, and so that will continue."

Culpepper said he didn't know much about Rhome. But he was encouraged by his addition to the coaching staff. Rhome has worked with 10 Pro Bowl quarterbacks, including Joe Theismann, Doug Williams, Troy Aikman, Steve McNair and Kurt Warner.

"For somebody on the outside to come in and look at everything, see how it's going, I think it's a good thing," Culpepper said. "He's very knowledgeable. … The things I've heard about him are all good. He's worked with a lot of good players, and he's been successful in his career. He's going to be a positive help for us."

The Vikings expect that Rhome will need time to acclimate himself to the personnel, schemes and protocol. But the team expects that Rhome's experience will pay immediate dividends. Initially, he will watch games and offer insight from the coaches' box, with Loney on the sideline, where he can be close to his offensive linemen. Vikings quarterbacks coach Rich Olson, meanwhile, will continue to work with Culpepper on the sideline between series.

Tice said he did not expect any problems as a result of the changes.

"I think the comfort level will come from the coaches on the defensive staff, knowing that Foge doesn't want to come out of retirement; he doesn't want anyone else's job," Tice said. "And the comfort comes from the offensive staff because it was the coordinator's suggestion that we bring in a passing-game guy and not a line coach. I think the personalities, from what I've watched the last couple of days, fit."

Tice said Rhome's and Fazio's suggestions and assessments supported what the staff believed to be the core problems. But heading into what players consider a "must-win game" against the Bears, Tice said the offense will focus on getting some rhythm, while the defense's main goal will be to eliminate mental errors.

"I believe it's on top of every coach's board right now," Tice said of mental errors. "When you look at the big plays… a high percentage of those have come from mental mistakes, whether it be coverage or alignment issues. We need to correct them."

Vikings safety Darren Sharper said players need to concentrate on playing and not coaching.

"When we start trying to play a dual role of playing and coaching is when you get yourself into trouble a lot of times," Sharper said. "I think the guys need to focus on playing, and executing what's called by the coaches."

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

The coaches aren't doing their job well. I know, let's hire even more coaches (and pay them as poorly as the ones we now have), and get some ex-coaches out of retirement, to act as "consultants", to sit in the booth and pace the sidelines, and send Culpepper yet more confusing messages on how to play.

What a total joke !!! We the the laughing stock of the league, at least, with respect to coaching. :sad:

Our team still has 7-8 All-Pro-quality players, though, so there is hope.

mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

Foge Fazio, he coached for Green right? that name sounds familiar i just don't remeber seeing him on the sidelines during any of the first games i saw. when was he with the Vikings?

Thanks Josdin

"mnvikes61" wrote:
    Foge Fazio, he coached for Green right? that name sounds familiar i just don't remeber seeing him on the sidelines during any of the first games i saw. when was he with the Vikings?
    Foge was the Vikings defensive coordinator from 1995-99.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345