Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: Vikes hire consultants: Jerry Rhome & Foge Fazio

Oh god no! No way!

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Fazio retires; Hamilton dismissed Click here to find out more!
    NFL.com wire reports

[size=18px]CLEVELAND (Jan. 7, 2003)[/size] -- Browns defensive coordinator Foge Fazio retired, two days after Cleveland blew a 17-point lead in the second half and lost to Pittsburgh in the AFC playoffs.

In another move on the defensive coaching staff, line coach Ray Hamilton was dismissed. The 51-year-old Hamilton was in his second season with the Browns and was under contract for one more year.

The 63-year-old Fazio spent two seasons with the Browns. His retirement comes after the Browns gave back leads of 24-7 and 33-21 in the second half to the Steelers, who advanced with a 36-33 win.

Pittsburgh scored 29 points in the second half, including 22 in the fourth quarter against Fazio's defense, which primarily used a three-man line and dropped into deep zone coverages during the Steelers' final two scoring drives.

The Browns also blew big second-half leads to Kansas City and Baltimore this season.

Coach Butch Davis refused to discuss staff coaching changes during his season-ending news conference.

Cleveland's defense wasn't as good in 2002 as it had been the year before under Fazio, who was Minnesota's defensive coordinator for five seasons before coaching Washington's linebackers in 2000.

The Browns led the AFC with 33 interceptions in 2001, but had only 17 this season. Despite the addition of several free agents, Cleveland's rushing defense moved only from 29th in 2001 to 27th overall this season.

Also, Pro Bowl linebacker Jamir Miller tore his Achilles' tendon in the exhibition season, Courtney Brown missed the last five games with a knee injury and the secondary was ravaged by injuries.

Hitstick31 is offline Rookie

Yeah I hope ZIggy Unleasheds the WILF And gets rid of Tice!! I really wish we could get a Brad Childress or Tom Mora type OC but I dont know who's out there?

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Fazio stinks no matter who is on the field. When has he ever done well?

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Snow,

To be fair to Fazio...Butch Davis was calling the Defensive Plays in the second half. I know you may not be able to find that anywhere in print, but Butch admitted it openly here.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

First part of an interview from way back when with FOGE.

A Look Back at Foge Fazio November 29, 2004

With the Vikings winning with defense in Sunday's tilt with Jacksonville, I take you back to July, 1996 when I interviewed then defensive coordinator Foge Fazio.

“When you come into the presence of a leader of men, you know that you have come into the presence of fire, that it is best not uncautiously to touch that man, that there is something that makes it dangerous to cross him.� Woodrow Wilson

You are the defensive coordinator in charge of some of the biggest, meanest, fastest, baddest defensive players in all of professional football. You are responsible for walking up to the likes of 280-lb John Randle to inform him that his missed tackle during a scrimmage cannot be tolerated when the real season begins, August 31, against the Buffalo Bills. Question for you, my readers, is could you do that with out shaking like a leaf as your voice crackles in fear? Answer? Thank the Viking Gods above for Foge Fazio who has the respect and admiration of the entire Viking defense. Foge speaks and the players respond. I met with Coach Fazio earlier this week in his office at Winter Park where he was preparing for the opening of training camp, July 15, in Mankato, Minnesota. The Viking Underground and the Minnesota Vikings are happy to present another in-depth interview to its most loyal fans world-wide:

VU: Ed McDaniel is back. Can you sleep a little better at night this summer because of that?

FF: Well, you know, Eddie did cause us a lot of sleepless nights when he got hurt on the third day of practice at training camp [last year]. Seeing him out there at mini-camp and other practices we’ve had so far, it’s a good feeling to have him back.

VU: Will there be any significant changes to defensive alignments or schemes this coming season that you can share with the readers?

FF: Well, we have basically the same starters that we were planning on going into last year with, the same guys if Eddie comes back. Our backups are going to be awfully young and inexperienced. We did lose a lot of backup players. But because we have a core of people that have been together for at least a year now under our system and two or three years under a system that was basically the same, we’re going to have a few little wrinkles. Maybe a little different blitz here, a little different coverages there, but basically it’s going to be about the same.

REST OF THE STORY

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/archives/maasx003/Vikings/011397.html

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"snowinapril" wrote:
    Tice said. "These two men are willing to do this out of friendship. I trust them and I know they can help us."
    I hope to heck Tice is right. We (he) needs it right now.
    Let's also hope to heck Schnelker ISN'T in a friendly mood. :shock: We also have Bud as a consultant on the staff. Maybe his role might increase a bit.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

slinkey is offline Pro-Bowler

I hate to say this....but I always thought hiring our current D coordinator was a big mistake. But, it looks like the entire coaching staff sucks snot

lukeshkin is offline Rookie

we need to cut any and all ties relating to dennis green. bringing foge in is just a one week pass for mike tice we he needs a scapegoat.

umaguma1979 is offline Asst. Coach

I agree - the remains of the Green era must go - I still hope Tice can turn it around though.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast