Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikes' first-round pick a little green

Posted on Sun, Jul. 30, 2006

[size=18px]Vikes' first-round pick a little green[/size]

BY JON KRAWCZYNSKI
    ASSOCIATED PRESS

MANKATO, Minn. - He may be a millionaire, and he's played in front of more than 100,000 fans in college, but Chad Greenway was still nervous on his first day of training camp with the Minnesota Vikings.

Greenway was the first player on the field on Friday, when Vikings rookies and selected veterans held their first practice. He would have liked to attribute that to the fact that he's a hard worker, but then the first-round pick showed a refreshing moment of honesty.

"It's maybe the first-day jitters a little bit too," Greenway said. "No matter what you do, it's the first day and you are going to be a little bit nervous and a little bit excited. That's definitely what I was."

And while the first-round pick out of Iowa certainly wanted to impress his coaches and get to know his new teammates, he was worried about one thing even more.

"The biggest thing was the bicycles," Greenway said about the means by which the players travel around the Minnesota State University campus. "I haven't ridden a bike in like six or seven years, so that's kind of fun.

"Living on a gravel road growing up, you don't ride bikes that often."

In his eagerness to get on the field, Greenway also forgot to remove the wedding ring on his left ring finger, as almost every married player does. Greenway married his college sweetheart in July, a day "that was by far the most nerve-racking day of my life, until she said, 'Yes.' Then it was cool."

And while Greenway is a rookie on the field, he speaks like a veteran in domestic affairs.

"I forgot to take it off this morning," Greenway said of his ring. "Well, I haven't asked her if it's OK to take it off."

FOX'S COMEBACK

Cornerback Dustin Fox's rookie season ended practically before it started.

Fox broke his arm in training camp last season and missed the entire year. Now he's back in the mix, trying to knock the rust off from such a long hiatus.

"I'm really glad I got the opportunity to come out here before the rest of the guys to try and get adjusted, because I haven't really played football in two years," Fox said, alluding to all the time off between the end of his senior year at Ohio State and Friday. "It feels good."

Fox said he felt pretty comfortable on the field in shorts on Friday, but was eager to get a little physical for the first time in a long time.

"I haven't hit anybody in two years, so that's going to be a transition," Fox said. "I consider myself a physical player, so I'm excited."

Vikes' first-round pick a little green

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikes' first-round pick a little green

"I forgot to take it off this morning," Greenway said of his ring. "Well, I haven't asked her if it's OK to take it off."

Like I said before, she already has him trained.

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

Fox was a good player for OSU, hopefully he can pick it back up real quick.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

I'm glad to see Dustin Fox back in there, he must have been slightly disheartened by the fact the Vikes drafted Cedric Griffin this year. Hopefully those 2 can spur each other on and grow into the Vikings secondary in coming years.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Fox got his ass chewed out by coaches about twice while i was up at training camp for the afternoon practice yesterday

they were doing short passing drills with one on one situations, i dont remember who caught the ball.. but he kind of fell to his knees when catching it and fox slightly pushed him over to down him

one of the coaches started yelling "NO CONTACT FOX! this is the last time im saying it, i see it again and you're done, thats it, i mean it" or something along those lines

he's a little too antsy to get into those pads and make a hit (i would be too after missing the last year)

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Aberration is offline Rookie

I just have a feeling Fox has his work cut out for him to have a chance to contribute or even make the team...

but I'm pulling for him it would be awesome if we had guys we drafted contributing in the secondary for once

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Aren't they all green as rookies???
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

"cajunvike" wrote:
    Aren't they all green as rookies???
    I would say yes except for a few special players in the past.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

like Mandy Ross!?

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

Darn, I bet we all will never forget Randy's rookie year....but enough said about that. Fox will make the team..prolly as a safety behind or third string...you can never have to much depth...also I noticed that our rookie qb is in a daunting thing (no pun intended) remember culpepper was given the reigns from 3rd string and turned out well..it was his team...I wonder if the same will be said for Jackson..whom after two years maybe also given the reigns..
    sorry about the change of subjec i had too...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast