Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Vikes favored to win division

Damnit they did that $&#@ last year too, the packers had a bye week before they went into minn last year on sunday night football, that is BS i swear i hate that team they always find some ferry way to get lucky, its like the schedule makers want teh packers to win or try to give them the advantage. One team should never have a bye week before they play a division rival, and on top of that do for them two years in a row thats horrable

dan3ski is offline Coordinator

I did 1 post on this but this one gives a different spin on it so bring it on.
    can we clone Bud Grant?

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

All I have to say on this issue is that we will win the division this year, and that we will not lose to the packers in Lambeau, because I will be at the game!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

silvermane is offline Rookie

i have to agree that the vikings look to be in the best shape to win the division. they kept most of their offense and added some depth to it at key positions. on defense antoine williams was a huge pickup. i think you guys have the best secondary in the division and the d line will be great if udeze pans out.

of course we've been talking a lot about the division on lion boards too and we have pretty high hopes after a good offseason that detroit will be able to compete for a wild card spot this year and maybe the division title next year. the team is very talented but also young on both sides of the ball and has some adjustments to make.

hard to say about the packers. they had to rely on a lot of things last year to make the playoffs. their qb is aging, their rb although very good is fumble prone, and their whole team has dealt with injuries these last couple years. they have an awesome o-line but i don't think their receivers are all that great. they have a solid defense especially the front 7.

the bears i think will be the cellar dwellers of the division. they have no running game, only one good wr, a qb who has yet to prove himself in the nfl, and a defense that will depend a lot on rookies and young players stepping up.

Well silver, I think the Lions will be a forced to reckon with in the next 2 to 3 years. This year they need to get working together and start building a winning program. With all that young talent you would hope you will become a perennial playoff contender. I have to disagree with you about Green and his fumble problems though. Granted the reason Holmgren got rid of him in Seattle was because of his fumble problems, but he probably only fumbles about 4 times year and with the number of touches he gets, I don't think that is all that bad. I hate the packers and am not trying to defend them (and I do love to see Green fumble), but I just don't think you can consider him having fumble problems compared to some other backs, that don't even have as near as many touches as he has!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    Well silver, I think the Lions will be a forced to reckon with in the next 2 to 3 years. This year they need to get working together and start building a winning program. With all that young talent you would hope you will become a perennial playoff contender. I have to disagree with you about Green and his fumble problems though. Granted the reason Holmgren got rid of him in Seattle was because of his fumble problems, but he probably only fumbles about 4 times year and with the number of touches he gets, I don't think that is all that bad. I hate the packers and am not trying to defend them (and I do love to see Green fumble), but I just don't think you can consider him having fumble problems compared to some other backs, that don't even have as near as many touches as he has!
    last year only jamal lewis had more fumbles and lost more fumbles than ahman green. green fumbled 7 times and lost 5 of them. now you are right that he also had more carries than most people but it was a big concern for the packers the first few weeks of the season. by november it looked like he had it under control, but its still a problem area for him because he sometimes tends to focus more on gaining a couple extra yards than protecting the ball. i think he is a great running back too but turnovers are a big reason the pack started out so bad last year.

What about Tiki Barber? He had to have had more than 7 fumbles, he fumbled like three times in one game once! I do think his fumbls are a problem, but I guess I would take him on my team any day!

tiki had 6 fumbles and lost 5. and yes it was a huge problem for the giants too who had one of the worst giveaway/takeaway ratios in the league last year. i think that was one weakness that jim fassel displayed...not threatening to bench tiki if he didn't keep control of the ball. that should be the top priority for a running back.

Wow, I thought he had a lot more. Oh well. I don't think Fassell had much of a choice to keep playing Barber or not. Who were his backups? Weren't they Ron Dayne, a big bust, and Dorsey Levins, over the hill and washed up. I guess he could have benched him for a little while, but for an extended period of time wouldn't have been beneficial to that team, not that letting him play was though!

yeah levins was supposed to be their 3rd and short or goal line back last year. he is over the hill but the fumble problem is more unacceptable at least if i were a head coach.

ahman green and tiki barber are both excellent running backs. green is definately a top 10. but your rb can rack up 150 yds a game and fumble one time, and that fumble can cost the team the game. and with green and barber it was usually them just losing control of the ball...not the defender stripping it away.

one guy that does awesome at protecting the ball is clinton portis. i don't like the guy but he rarely loses the ball.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast