Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    CynicalVike is offline Starter

Vikes "D" ranking during the "W" streak.

I'm wondering how our defense has ranked against the rest of the league during our winning streak. I know overall for the year we are still pretty low in the rankings because of the terrible start we had, but over the last 5 games, we must rank pretty high.

Does anyone know?
    I used to be indecisive, now I m not so sure!

Prophet Guest

Re: Vikes "D" ranking during the "W" streak.

Damn it, I thought you figured it out! I was wondering the same thing.

sunny is offline Pro-Bowler

Before last weeks game they said on one of the NFL shows that we were 2nd behind the Bears over the last 4 weeks. Perty nice turnaround if you ask me.
    I.B.O.T. #213

TARKenton is offline Asst. Coach

These are estimations but 16ppg, 70ypg against the rush and just over 200 yards against the pass. the giants game was our only blemish yardage wise, but we made up for that with turovers and perfect special teams play, yes perfect. the d has finally gelled. we really dont face any high powered offenses the rest of the year. the rams are struggling with injuries and as long as we stop pittsburgh from running, we can stop their offense.
    ...Rodgers had to hold on the ball longer, giving players like Jared "I am completely insane and will literally eat your children" Allen time to sack Rodgers again.And again. And again. Actually I think Rodgers may have nightmares about Jared Allen the rest of the year.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

I have nothing better to do, so I'm gonna figure this out. Give me a few minutes....

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"sunny" wrote:
    Before last weeks game they said on one of the NFL shows that we were 2nd behind the Bears over the last 4 weeks. Perty nice turnaround if you ask me.
    Another thing that the TV guys keep pointing out, the ones that don't think we are going to the playoffs, is that we have played some very mediocre teams in this stretch. The best team we played was the Giants and they haven't been consistant.

All I am saying is I want to be the CynicalVike, I love that name. Seriously! I guess I could be CynicalViking

If I want to be a CynicalViking, then I shouldn't say this; I do think we have gotten better on D, we have made improvements.

Big C is offline Coordinator

I think the D ranks pretty high over that stretch. My only concern is how much of a blow it will be that Kluwe could potentially be out for the year.

When you have a punter that can boot that thing 45-50 yards, there isn't much pressure for the offense to force it on 3rd down. Special teams has time to get to the returner and stop him with minimal gain. This in turn sets up our D with a lot of field to defend which they are good at. Usually if the opponent starts in their half of the field, our D makes a stand in the redzone forcing a kick or punt. If the D starts in our half they tend to give up TDs instead.
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Well, I didn't figure out EVERYONE because that would have taken waayyyyyy too long, but here is how we stack up against the league's top 5 rated defenses (for the year) over the last 5 games.
    *of course these are all unofficial stats because I did them using NFL.com and a pen and paper :grin:

Points Per Game
    1. Carolina- 9 PPG
    2. Chicago- 9.2 PPG
    3. Minnesota- 16 PPG
    4. Jacksonville- 16.6 PPG
    5. Indianapolis- 17 PPG
    6. Tampa Bay- 22.4 PPG

Avg. Yards Allowed
    1. Carolina- 243.4 YPG
    2. Chicago- 263 YPG
    3. Jacksonville- 273.4 YPG
    4. Minnesota- 283 YPG
    5. Indianapolis- 289.2 YPG
    6. Tampa Bay- 327.4 YPG

Avg. Pass Yards Allowed
    1. Carolina- 148.2 YPG
    2. Chicago- 157.4 YPG
    3. Jacksonville- 199.6 YPG
    4. Minnesota- 205.8 YPG
    5. Indianapolis- 207.8 YPG
    6. Tampa Bay- 208.4 YPG

Avg. Rush Yards Allowed
    1. Jacksonville- 73.8 YPG
    2. Minnesota- 77.2 YPG
    3. Indianapolis- 81.4 YPG
    4. Carolina- 95.2 YPG
    5. Chicago- 105.6 YPG (no, that's not a typo)
    6. Tampa Bay- 119 YPG

So from these stats we can see several things. First of all, that over the past 5 games, our defense has been playing as well or better than the defenses everyone considers to be so great around the league. Secondly, it shows that over the past 5 games Chicago doesn't have the best defense. Instead, it's Carolina who rank first among these teams in Yards, Points, Pass Yards and Rush Yards allowed.

The most important conclusion is that Chicago has been giving up over 100 yards per game against the rush! Why don't people just jam it down their throats? Yeah they're good against the pass, but run the damn ball!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"ltrey33" wrote:
    Well, I didn't figure out EVERYONE because that would have taken waayyyyyy too long, but here is how we stack up against the league's top 5 rated defenses (for the year) over the last 5 games.
    *of course these are all unofficial stats because I did them using NFL.com and a pen and paper :grin:

Points Per Game
    1. Carolina- 9 PPG
    2. Chicago- 9.2 PPG
    3. Minnesota- 16 PPG
    4. Jacksonville- 16.6 PPG
    5. Indianapolis- 17 PPG
    6. Tampa Bay- 22.4 PPG

Avg. Yards Allowed
    1. Carolina- 243.4 YPG
    2. Chicago- 263 YPG
    3. Jacksonville- 273.4 YPG
    4. Minnesota- 283 YPG
    5. Indianapolis- 289.2 YPG
    6. Tampa Bay- 327.4 YPG

Avg. Pass Yards Allowed
    1. Carolina- 148.2 YPG
    2. Chicago- 157.4 YPG
    3. Jacksonville- 199.6 YPG
    4. Minnesota- 205.8 YPG
    5. Indianapolis- 207.8 YPG
    6. Tampa Bay- 208.4 YPG

Avg. Rush Yards Allowed
    1. Jacksonville- 73.8 YPG
    2. Minnesota- 77.2 YPG
    3. Indianapolis- 81.4 YPG
    4. Carolina- 95.2 YPG
    5. Chicago- 105.6 YPG (no, that's not a typo)
    6. Tampa Bay- 119 YPG

So from these stats we can see several things. First of all, that over the past 5 games, our defense has been playing as well or better than the defenses everyone considers to be so great around the league. Secondly, it shows that over the past 5 games Chicago doesn't have the best defense. Instead, it's Carolina who rank first among these teams in Yards, Points, Pass Yards and Rush Yards allowed.

The most important conclusion is that Chicago has been giving up over 100 yards per game against the rush! Why don't people just jam it down their throats? Yeah they're good against the pass, but run the gol 'darnit ball!
    Yeah, they are soooo good against the pass that the Packers and Favray threw it all over them to the tune of 300+ yards...so maybe they aren't that good at all! :lol:

Rest assured that Atlanta and Pittsburgh will run the "damn ball" all over the Bears! :grin:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"ltrey33" wrote:
    The most important conclusion is that Chicago has been giving up over 100 yards per game against the rush! Why don't people just jam it down their throats? Yeah they're good against the pass, but run the gol 'darnit ball!
    Can you answer your own question, what are they giving up for YPCarry?

I would say if that number is low, it is probably because teams are playing run ball control with them. If teams are running on them the whole game, thinkin that that is how to beat them, let the Bears shoot themselves in the foot, that would explain why they are giving up more than 100 ypg.

So, how do they compare in YPC and Rushing attemtps against.

The first team to go ZERO TO against the Bears will beat the Bears or just have less TO than the Bears.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast