purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Vikes @ Bengals Purplepride/Viking Update tailgate blowout!

OK, since I live in Cincinnati I'm trying to organize a massive tailgate party with all the Viking fans coming to the game on Sunday. Well, at least those people here on Purplepride.org and on the Viking Update Purple Thoughts board. Rather than email everyone on here (don't know if the system lists everyone's email address or not), here is the message I am sending to all the Purple Thoughts folks. Hopefully, everyone here will jump on board and make this one huge tailgate blowout!!! Feel free to post comments or questions here, or send me an email to [email protected]

PURPLE THOUGHTS - PURPLEPRIDE.ORG VIKINGS-BENGALS TAILGATE PARTY!

I’ve tried to check out the parking situation around the stadium. Unfortunately, all the surface lots real close to the stadium are set aside for season ticket holders with parking passes. Several of the other parking lots identified on the Bengals web site that aren’t season ticket lots are parking garages….not exactly what you want for grilling out. Tailgating.com recommends the CG&E lot on W. Mehring Way, as it opens at 8 AM and only costs $10 for cars and $20 for RVs. If the majority want to try and hook up early and get in this lot, I’m up for it. I suspect many of you won’t want to get up quite that early. So here’s my suggestion…..

There is place called Donna’s Diner about two blocks across the Roebling Suspension Bridge in Covington, KY (the stadium is right across the bridge, plus a couple of blocks to the west). The address is 313 Greenup Street, Covington, KY 41011. There are numerous metered parking spaces there (not in effect on Sundays). I suggest we all meet up there at 9 AM and leave together in one big Viking caravan in search of a suitable tailgate lot. There is a lot in Covington about a block away, I’m just not sure if they allow grilling and alcohol consumption there (it is only a block from the police station!). I know of many surface lots in the Downtown Cincinnati area; they just aren’t what I’d call a “short� walk from the stadium.

My home phone number is 513-752-5606 if anyone should need to call me. On Sunday morning, my buddy Z-Dog will have his cell phone on (419-302-5362) if anyone can’t find Donna’s or just wants to try and locate our group (wherever it winds up) later than the 9:00 AM meetup time. I’ll be bringing a charcoal grill and plenty of charcoal (not a huge grill, 18� diameter but enough for most stuff). I might smoke a couple of pork picnics the day before and bring those for pulled pork sandwiches/plates or chopped pork barbecue. I’ll also bring a cooler with some ice that should be big enough to hold a fair amount of beer, but I’ll probably only bring a 12-pack or a case.

I’m open to any suggestions any of you have, but if meeting up at Donna’s works for everybody (either at 8 to go to the CG&E lot, or 9 to find whatever’s close and available), let me know one way or the other. If someone staying downtown or in Northern Kentucky needs a ride to Donna’s, let me know. I’m not averse to picking people up, even if it takes a few trips.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikes @ Bengals Purplepride/Viking Update tailgate blowout!

I'm not going to be able to make it until about 10 a.m. so I'll give you a call on the cell phone and ask where you all are unless things change on this post.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Sounds good. Will you be "parking" in the lot, or just walking into our party?
    SKOL VIKINGS!

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

The person I am going to the game with has an apartment just a block from the stadium. We'll be parking at the apartment and walking over.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

cincyhokie is offline Waterboy

Re: Vikes @ Bengals Purplepride/Viking Update tailgate blowo

Yo PurplePat, My parents used to live right across from that lot in Robeling Row Condos on Greenup St in Covington. You should be able to drink and grill in that lot no problem. From what I remember, it started to fill up around 9am, but it was never completely full. This was 2003, though, so things may have changed.

The other tailgating lot that is the "place to be" is Longworth Hall on Pete Rose Way just west of the PBS. It's $30 a car but it's got alot of room and is usually a good time. I'm not sure about the other lot that you mentioned for $10 a car. Anyway, hope that helps....

Go Bengals! WHO-DEY!!!

"cincyhokie" wrote:
    Yo PurplePat, My parents used to live right across from that lot in Robeling Row Condos on Greenup St in Covington. You should be able to drink and grill in that lot no problem. From what I remember, it started to fill up around 9am, but it was never completely full. This was 2003, though, so things may have changed.

The other tailgating lot that is the "place to be" is Longworth Hall on Pete Rose Way just west of the PBS. It's $30 a car but it's got alot of room and is usually a good time. I'm not sure about the other lot that you mentioned for $10 a car. Anyway, hope that helps....

Go Bengals! WHO-DEY!!!
    Thanks for the info, Cincyhokie! Did you go to Va. Tech? I'm originally from VA (on the Peninsula)!

If we're thinking about the same lot (the one right before the bridge), that would be great! Depending on how many vehicles we have, I'm not totally averse to paying $30 to tailgate at Longworth Hall (if it's the "place to be"), but there's something to be said for just parking in Covington and walking across the bridge. Given the free parking spaces at Donna's...most could just leave their cars there, we take the one vehicle and park in the lot at the end of the bridge, fire up the grill, and party hearty!
    SKOL VIKINGS!

The tickets I bought came with a lot pass for Lot D/Mehring Way East, so that is where we are gonna be parking. We'll try to get there relatively early, but keep us updated here on PPO.ORG to where the action is gonna take place if anything changes, otherwise we'll just call Z-Dog for an update on Sunday. Getting very exited....Go Vikes!!!
    Even babies know the difference.

cincyhokie is offline Waterboy

"purplepat" wrote:
    Thanks for the info, Cincyhokie! Did you go to Va. Tech? I'm originally from VA (on the Peninsula)!

If we're thinking about the same lot (the one right before the bridge), that would be great! Depending on how many vehicles we have, I'm not totally averse to paying $30 to tailgate at Longworth Hall (if it's the "place to be"), but there's something to be said for just parking in Covington and walking across the bridge. Given the free parking spaces at Donna's...most could just leave their cars there, we take the one vehicle and park in the lot at the end of the bridge, fire up the grill, and party hearty!
    Yes, I did. The best 5 years of my life were in Blacksburg, VA.

I know for myself I am planning do to everything an hour earlier this year. With the games sold out and all the people coming downtown, it's gonna be hard to park, etc.

Good luck with it and have fun Sunday, may you go home disappointed!