Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    boognish is offline Coordinator

Re: Vikes banking on Childress, Johnson

I see that I'm in the minority here, but I thought that was a pretty decent article summarizing a lot of the concerns many Vikes fans I know are expressing.

While I agree that the past isn't necessarily a predictor of the future, it is interesting to look at the organization's past and wonder if that culture will change with a new regime at the helm. There's no disputing the fact that the Vikes have been known for picking up players with questionable character and hoping that they can overcome that long enough to contribute on the field. We saw last season that bad character usually wins out, unfortunately. So now the house has been cleaned out for the most part and Zygi is talking a good game about the importance of good character players, but we'll see; sometimes changing the culture of an organization is easier said than done.

Regarding this season, there is no doubt that expectations are high in MN. Many fans, myself included, believe that Tice's lack of knowledge and lack of quality coaching personnel was the key reason that the team underperformed the last several seasons. Childress is being heralded as the saviour who will come in and straighten everything out (and I hope he does), but the truth is that this guy has never been a HC in the NFL and the OC and DC have never held that much responsibility either; they're all a bunch of rook's.

And, even if Big Johnson stays healthy he simply isn't an elite QB; he's adequate, but not great. We also haven't seen a #1 WR step up yet. Everyone is talking about K. Rob being the next Randy Moss, but he hasn't shown it on the field yet; he couldn't even find a spot on the starting roster for WR's last year. Chester could be great this year at RB, but now we're hearing reports that he showed up to camp way out of shape; maybe Moore will be the featured back after all.

There are a lot of question marks with this team, but I'm cautiously optimistic about our chances to make the playoffs this year. I'm pretty gun-shy though and won't be jumping on the superbowl bandwagon anytime soon, especially after last year's debacle (when most analysts had us going to the SuperBowl).
    I am a dipshit!!!

Json is offline GM

I couldn't agree more with you boognish. I felt the article was a decent summary about what the Vikings are going through at this time. The more and more the offseason as progressed the more and more skeptical I have become. I too will not be jumping on anytype of superbowl bandwagon. I will instead pray to the football gods that the Vikings win the North and put us in the playoffs for starters. I must stress PRAY.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"boognish" wrote:
    I see that I'm in the minority here, but I thought that was a pretty decent article summarizing a lot of the concerns many Vikes fans I know are expressing.
    Yes.

But that doesn't mean the author isn't a snarky wannabe who probably hasn't kissed a girl since the time he pecked on Fat Fanny Finkle during summer day camp back in '86.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Bdubya is offline Star Spokesman

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "boognish" wrote:
    Yes.

But that doesn't mean the author isn't a snarky wannabe who probably hasn't kissed a girl since the time he pecked on Fat Fanny Finkle during summer day camp back in '86.

=Z=
    He doesn't want cooties dude.
    MC's run away when I kick it
    They act so chicken, they should come with a large drink and a biscuit
    -Canibus

All coaches play hoping their QB don't get hurt. It is the flipping NFL, people get hurt. It is not like BJ has been on the shelf his whole career. He does not get hurt much. He will not get sacked a thousand times because the line rocks and he is smart, he will not hold onto the ball. BJ will be fine. The author is an idiot to say we made a mistake on Koren. He been drinking more than Koren did. WOW! We will be solid. A team doesn't necc need a game beaker, just don't make mistakes, score, and choke the otherr defense. We will do this.
    We can solve poverty today.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"Spielman probably owes his job to contract negotiator Rob Brzezinski, a club vice president. The two are good friends and should work well together. Both have plenty of compassion, being fathers of adopted children. They are good men. Wilf deserves credit for promoting both of them."

That is the paragraph that worries me the most. I don't care about the relationship the two men have with each other, I care about their ability to manage a team. The writer tries to argue that Spielman is the right man for the job, but the paragraph above is all he can muster for persausion. After reading that I am hopeful that the Vikings got better on the field, but doubtful the massive overhaul led to an improvement in the front office.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

audioghost is offline Star Spokesman

That article sucks....

A.G s HOTTEST NEW RAP CD: AUDIO GHOST & MAIN EVENT drop THE SEED: I made tha beats www.myspace.com/audioghost2006

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

I want to know how a professional writer makes mistakes like this:

Love Boat infamey
    The correct word is infamy.

Spielman was binding his time
    The correct word is biding.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Prophet Guest

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    I want to know how a professional writer makes mistakes like this:

Love Boat infamey
    The correct word is infamy.

Spielman was binding his time
    The correct word is biding.
    :lol: Professional writers have editors to take care of the small stuff. They get paid for their ideas and thinking process.

This guy is just trying to fill the offseason void by writing mind-numbing crap that we're stupid enough to read.

I just laughed when I read the article.

Who is this guy anyway? I've never heard of him.
    Proud member of PP.O since April 5th, 2003!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast