Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikes banking on Childress, Johnson

[size=18px]Vikes banking on Childress, Johnson [/size]

John Czarnecki / Special to FOXSports.com
    Posted: 5 hours ago

Minnesota can be a great place. The lakes, the fresh air, the snowmobiles. But something is amiss with the Vikings, the pride of the Dakotas and the upper Midwest, too.

It started with the general lack of support for former head coach Mike Tice, who tried to micro-manage everything and failed. For some reason, the Vikings have always looked the other way on a player's character, and the club has paid the public-relations' price with such departed stars as Randy Moss and Daunte Culpepper and by giving $10 million to Fred Smoot of Love Boat infamey, such a talented cornerback that the Washington Redskins couldn't wait to pack his bags.

They gambled on running back Onterrio Smith and lost when he was caught with the Whizzanator, but that mistake didn't teach them anything. Instead, they picked up receiver Koren Robinson, who was suspended numerous times by the Seattle Seahawks before finally being put on the streets.

In the past, former head coach Denny Green could control the characters on this team, but his love-hate relationship with the media took its toll and he devised his own firing, leaving former owner Red McCombs shell-shocked and a lot poorer. McCombs then simply promoted Tice because it was easy and also fiscally responsible.

New owner Zygi Wilf inherited some of this baggage and after a rocky first season decided to clean house. Wilf totally whiffed on one of his first major hires, having already fired top personnel man Fran Foley, the legal settlement pending. Also, he rushed to hire Eagles offensive coordinator Brad Childress and give him all this power like he's the second coming of Bill Belichick.

Well, that's the way it is now, after the so-called Triangle of Authority disintegrated with the ousting of Foley. This week, Wilf hired Rick Spielman, whom he passed over originally, to assume Foley's role. Like other unemployed executives, Spielman was binding his time with ESPN waiting for his phone to ring.

Spielman probably owes his job to contract negotiator Rob Brzezinski, a club vice president. The two are good friends and should work well together. Both have plenty of compassion, being fathers of adopted children. They are good men. Wilf deserves credit for promoting both of them.

Spielman, though, has been an unlucky personnel director. When he worked pro personnel for the Chicago Bears, that team never had a Pro Bowl player, the signature of an excellent personnel judge. Chicago's big mistake during his tenure was wasting a first-round draft pick on quarterback Rick Mirer. Spielman then followed former Bears coach Dave Wannstedt to Miami where they spent a second-round pick on Eagles quarterback A.J. Feeley and gave up a ton to New Orleans for running back Ricky Williams. There is no doubt that Williams was productive, but he's out of the NFL and his retirement cost Wannstedt and Spielman their jobs.

So what part of the new Triangle of Authority fits Spielman?

"I was on the outside and looked at this Triangle of Authority," Spielman told Minnesota reporters. "I think that was something the media labeled on this thing. I don't think there's a Triangle of Authority. I want to get to know the coaches. I want to build a relationship with the coaches and the personnel staff."

The bottom line is that Spielman will attempt to do what is best for the organization.

Finally, what are the expectations? Minnesota's most recent college draft was roundly criticized league-wide, but there remains enormous pressure on the organization to improve on last year's 9-7 record. Why? Because the perception is that Tice messed it up and what he didn't mess up the players did by their foolish public sex party on the Love Boat. The idea is that Childress is no-nonsense and head and shoulders strategy-wise above Tice.

But is that reality?

Childress is banking on quarterback Brad Johnson, who will turn 38 in September. But will Johnson still be standing and be in one piece come December? The running game will now feature Mewelde Moore, who has been very unreliable, starting only eight games last season. The offensive line is solid, but the playmakers are tight end Jermaine Wiggins and Travis Taylor, two solid receivers; but neither is a game-breaker.

Childress needs Troy Williamson and Robinson to become stars right away. If that happens, Minnesota has a chance. But so much is riding on Johnson and Childress to deliver in a big way.

The best approach is probably to sit back and wait and see. For the most part, that's how Childress has treated the situation. He can do that, along with hiding from the media like he did when Spielman was hired.

Vikes banking on Childress, Johnson

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikes banking on Childress, Johnson

Just another bonehead wannabe sports writer......Hell, he didn't even mention T.Taylors name as our featured RB....He went with MM.....What a loser.......

Singer, these negetive sports writers are getting to be a bore man......I'de rater read Dear Abby...........................

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

"I was on the outside and looked at this Triangle of Authority," Spielman told Minnesota reporters. "I think that was something the media labeled on this thing. I don't think there's a Triangle of Authority. "
    What an idiot! He's been interviewed twice for the same position.

And he doesn't he even know it was Zygi who came up with the "Triangle of Authority" based off his personal business, not the media?

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

"VikingNed" wrote:
    Just another bonehead wannabe sports writer......Hell, he didn't even mention T.Taylors name as our featured RB....He went with MM.....What a loser.......

Singer, these negetive sports writers are getting to be a bore man......I'de rater read Dear Abby...........................
    Welcome to the offseason. :wink:

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"VikingNed" wrote:

That would be C. Taylor, Ned...but you are right...the writer is just another Vikings basher...one more guy to pimpslap when we exceed expectations this year!!! :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Prophet Guest

Recycled off-the-cuff writing style, it works if you're in 7th grade and the term paper is due in the morning.

As far as the BJ debate goes, what would any coach do? The previous starter gets maimed and then goes psychotic. The Vikings are doing what any sane person would do, start the guy that unburied them from their horrid start in '05 while grooming a QB that will take the helm in the future. Is there a risk? Of course. There isn't a team in the NFL that isn't an injury away from upheaval. Any coaching staff will do their best to manage around these circumstances if at all possible.

There are too many other issues brought up by this author to delve into all of them. He lost credibility in my eyes when the only issues he brought up were the national media tidbits while missing out on key acquisitions and the combination of FA & draft moves based on team needs.

I am very relieved that Childress is concentrating on the lines, just like he said he would. That is the best form of insurance in today's salary cap driven NFL.

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

heh..

what can you say.. more backwash coing from people who have to submit something in the form of written thought as deadlines approach..

u know. if one.. just one sports writer would simply go in and tell it how it is and not give 99% opioninated refirbished garbage he's prolly become the fav sports writer in MN!!

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Formula for being a sports writer:
    Go back at least five years (10 is better) and dredge up everything a team/owner/coach did wrong. Then come to the present date and make those pieces somehow fit into today's situation so they can make the mistakes of the past suddenly the mistakes of the present. Then kinda make some connection -- this writer's is a thing of beauty...
    ("The idea is that Childress is no-nonsense and head and shoulders strategy-wise above Tice.
    But is that reality?
    Childress is banking on quarterback Brad Johnson, who will turn 38 in September. But will Johnson still be standing and be in one piece come December?")
    Then tie the whole thing together with a a top-notch catching ending like "Let's wait and see" and try to drag down the team and make yourself look good.
    I would love to take a writer's column for the last 10 years and write a column on how many mistakes they have made as so-called "experts" and get it published in the same vehicle they write for.
    Can anyone please tell me what this writer's quote I have included really means and how it ties into the article of the prediction the Vikings are in trouble? He's just asking stupid "what if" questions.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Bdubya is offline Star Spokesman

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Go back at least five years (10 is better) and dredge up everything a team/owner/coach did wrong. Then come to the present date and make those pieces somehow fit into today's situation so they can make the mistakes of the past suddenly the mistakes of the present. Then kinda make some connection -- this writer's is a thing of beauty...
    ("The idea is that Childress is no-nonsense and head and shoulders strategy-wise above Tice.
    But is that reality?
    Childress is banking on quarterback Brad Johnson, who will turn 38 in September. But will Johnson still be standing and be in one piece come December?")
    Then tie the whole thing together with a a top-notch catching ending like "Let's wait and see" and try to drag down the team and make yourself look good.
    I would love to take a writer's column for the last 10 years and write a column on how many mistakes they have made as so-called "experts" and get it published in the same vehicle they write for.
    Can anyone please tell me what this writer's quote I have included really means and how it ties into the article of the prediction the Vikings are in trouble? He's just asking stupid "what if" questions.
    Exactly. The fact is that Brad Johnson is still being productive. What this guy is saying is that Childress is counting on a quarterback that might get hurt, but he played longer last year than Daunte. Brad is a big boy, he can take hits.
    MC's run away when I kick it
    They act so chicken, they should come with a large drink and a biscuit
    -Canibus

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    But is that reality?
    Without writing a whole other paragraph, he just assume the letting go of DC(forcing out/ butting heads) is the obvious. No nonsense = my way or the highway, it also equates to you got rid of a high caliber QB and instead of having DC and a quality/old backup, you have an old starter. He just doesn't think Brad will be standing and throwing ant the end of the season.

It is really hard to predict that one. If he was so sure, he would be putting everything he's got on a team to win the SB this year. Point, he doesn't have that kind of bet going in Vegas or anywhere else, it is a lot easier to write an article about some suspect teams than actually know something for certain.

None of us know!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast