Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MaxVike is online now Team Alumni

Vikes add David Yankey - G Stanford

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Great pick. Should be a day 1 starter over Johnson.

He was an all american at tackle and guard at Stanford. Big, tough dude from what I read. Apparently he has "Average feet." I don't care about that. He can clearly play.

Great pick.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Love this pick. Surprised he was still on the board.
    Cornerbacks and safeties seem to be pretty well picked over, but I'm hoping they can find one or the other in this deep draft. Need to hit on some of these late picks to upgrade depth.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    David Yankey has the tools. If he can learn the skills better, he could be very good.

I wonder why the bloke ended up being available in the 5th round. Scouting reports had him going one or two rounds earlier.

Ranger is offline Coach
    2014 NFL Draft Picks by Team, Player and Position - SI.com

Yankey has very good size for a guard and is strong and explosive. There are a lot of plays on tape where you see his opponent's legs buckle on contact. He is an adequate athlete, showing good feet, bend, and flexibility, but he lacks top speed. This shows up on longer pulls and when trying to get to the second level. He has good snap reaction and initial quickness. He gets to his blocks quickly and, as I stated above, is explosive on contact. He is able to generate movement with his run blocks. He is best when his opponent is head up. He can come off low and drive him off the line. He is also good with angle blocks. He can be inconsistent getting to the second level. He shows he can do it without a problem when it's an onside play, but he can have trouble getting to his man when he is on the backside of the play. On short pulls, he is very effective, showing he can turn and adjust on the move. On the longer pulls, he lacks the speed to consistently get to the block. He is a very consistent pass blocker who sets quickly and can keep good position. He plays with bend and has a strong punch. He shows he can slide and recover versus moves. He is alert to pick up blitzes and stunts. Yankey is a very steady player who will be a starter in the NFL very early in his career. He has some athletic limitations, but he is a tough, hard-nosed competitor who goes snap-to-whistle every play. I don't see him being drafted in the first round, but he could very easily go in the second.

Tad7 is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Anderson View Post
    Great pick. Should be a day 1 starter over Johnson.

He was an all american at tackle and guard at Stanford. Big, tough dude from what I read. Apparently he has "Average feet." I don't care about that. He can clearly play.

Great pick.
    Wow...would be awesome if he was this good right away. I don't know enough about the guy.
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

X MARKS THE SPOT

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    David Yankey has the tools. If he can learn the skills better, he could be very good.

I wonder why the bloke ended up being available in the 5th round. Scouting reports had him going one or two rounds earlier.
    he is the 4th guard drafted

Ranger is offline Coach
    Yankey has very good size for a guard and is strong and explosive. There are a lot of plays on tape where you see his opponent's legs buckle on contact.

That part made me smile.

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Early in the Mock drafts, he sometimes went first round. I figured him a second to third round talent, worries me he fell so far so fast.

Maybe way too much emphasis on Tackles and defense? I don't know.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

gamecocksbaseball31 is offline Hall of Famer
    Really like this pick as well. One of the few late rounders I like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast