Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Vikes 2006 Playoff chances

A loss at seattle wouldn't surprise me, and I don't think it would have a huge effect on the team.
    But V-Unit is right, a MNF win at home against the Pats would do a LOT to build morale and silence critics.

I think we have a fair sho at making the playoffs as a wild card this year.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Prophet Guest

"kelmino" wrote:
    ok well i dont post very much, but i do hang out here from time to time, and am usually in the chat room during game times.
    I decided for my first new thread I would make something positive, something that is not just a bunch of babble, and something worth me hitting that sacred "new topic" button.

Our Playoff chances

As we go into the bye week we are sitting at arespectable 3-2 something most analysts would not think would happen. Most of them would have had us at 2-3, or even 1-4.
    Most of us fans knew or at least hoped this wouldnt be the case.
    we had faith in our team all of off season, all of pre season, then when we went up to 2-0 some of us were claiming Superbowl.
    Now as we sit 3-2 some of us are calling for a QB change, coaching change, etc.
    It is just the nature of the fan I know,
    But still it is disheartening, and really makes it tough to look at these boards, and stay in the chat room as soon as we get down by any ammount of points.
    The season is young, the fans are anxious,
    But we all as a whole need to have a little paitence.
    But anyways enough of my tangent, and back to what i originally started this topic for, our playoff picture for this year

As you all know we are siting at 3-2 going into this bye week,
    Now i dont know how many of you have actually looked at the schedule we have coming up but by looking at it it doesn't look to bad.

Week 1 @Washington Won
    Week 2 Carolina Won
    week 3 Chicago Lost
    Week 4 @Buffalo Lost
    Week 5 Detroit Won
    Week 6 BYE

Week 7 @Seattle

This is going to be a tough game, and honestly we shouldnt expect to win this game.
    It does look good for us as the madden curse struck and Sean Alexander is hurt, wether or not he will be hurt during week 7 is still up in the air as its still to early to tell.
    an injured Sean Alexander woudl be best for us, but this game isnt a throw int he towel game it is still a possible win for us. but lets just take worse case senerio and say we loose this one

Record after week 7
    3-3

Week 8 New England

Another tough game, but we do have a few things going for us after this game one it is at home, 2, new England isnt playing all that hot right now.
    Hopefully we can pull this one off, but lets just say we loose this one.

Record after week 8 3-4

Week 9 @San Francisco

Our next very winnable game, and at this point in the season we will not be able to loose any of these types of games if we do plan on getting into the playoffs.
    if we drop to 3-5 then its time to panic, but we should win this game.

Record after week 9 4-4

Week 10 Green Bay

Very winnable again

Record after week 10 5-4

Week 11 @Miami

Ahh yes the game i cant wait for, vikes Vs Culpepper,
    as long as he doesn't loose his starting position before this game our D will murder culpepper.
    at least 3 turnovers for him, 2 fumbles and 2 INT is more of a probability

Record after week 11 6-4

Week 12 Arizona

whats this, yes another winnable game, they have no o line and matty will be hitting durt all day

Record after week 12 7-4, now that looks pretty doesn't it

Week 13 @Chicago

Ahh yes Chicago again... this one is going to be a pain in the jiggly butt yes it is, and is probably not going to be a win.
    We should be on at least a 4 game winning streak, and Chicago will be coming off of 2 tough games, and hopefully will be a little beat up. but they will probably be on a 12-0 record at this point.
    and well its about time for a lose for them hopefully we can pull it out, but even if we don't the season is not over quite yet.

Record after week 13 7-5

Week 14 @Detroit

Very winnable

Record after week 14 8-5

Week 16 N.Y. Jets
    Week 17 @Green Bay
    Week 18 St. Louis

Now the rest I am not going to go in depth into, but by looking at those teams I'd be very happy going into the last 3 weeks with a 8-5 record anyway you look at it its a very good chance to get into the playoffs

Week 17 we should win, and we will need this win at this point wether we win against NY or not.

2 out of the last 3 games are at home, and the game thats not is against the team who by that time we will probably be playing against Aaron Rogers

At this time our O line should mesh greatly, since they have been playing with each other for almost an entire season.

If we can win 2 out of those 3 we will be at 10-6 which should get us into the playoffs, if we can beat all 3 of those teams, as they are all winnable we will be 11-5.
    Now thats a great record if i do say so my self.
    and def in the playoffs as a wild card.
    where we go from there is on the team, but its something that is very possible.

So before you say switch QB's, or fire Childress look at the big picture, into the playoffs, with a veteren QB, who has had time to get used to our WR's, and an O line that at that point should be a hell of an o line,Now im not saying Superbowl or anything just quite yet.
    But take it one game at time, and remember how the Steelers won the superbowl last year.
    got in via a wild card like us, beats what everyone thing is the greatest team of all time in the colts last year, then wins the superbowl,
    This year it will be us in the wildcard spot facing a team who people will be considering one of the greatest teams of all time in the bears.
    we shall see what happens, just dont give up faith quite yet.

and ignore the spelling/grammer mistakes i really dont feel like proof reading all of that :P
    Thank you.
    It is refreshing to see someone hit the sacred new thread button and actually use some thinking and logic in their assessment.
    The next two games are both winnable, but could just as easily go down as Ls.
    My preseason forecast looked similar with a 9-7 finish.
    The chicken littles will be out in full force if the Vikings lose the next two games, you can count on that.
    I look forward to seeing improvement as the season goes on and the team going into the final stretch as a complete team with the D, O, special teams or a combination pulling of the wins.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

This is almost like I see it as well. We do have a good schedule after the NE game.

And even though you can argue about which games are the most winable, there can be no doubt that there should be a pretty good chance of picking up enough W's for a decent record, that'll put us in the playoff hunt.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

I really think that B.chill said it best,

"We walk into every game thinking we can win"

this is what i see from this team. The D can play against any team... period.

our O is finding it's way, by the time they come outta the bye i'm hopin we see some new twists in to routes, and more attention to gaining some key long plays.

if we can do that look for us to be next year what the bears are this year.

IF we make the playoffs, it'll be a tribute to the new era we are going to be a part of under Wilfy and the triangle of authority.

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

I think in typical Minnesota fashion . . . we will beat one or two of those top tier teams, but somehow find away to lose the easier ones.

This is where Childress can keep the team focused.
    Hopefully injuries won't be an issue, and we will scrap out way into the Super Bowl in the mold of last years Steelers or the Ravens.

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

Pirates4Vikings is offline Training Camp

Another playoff point is that - aside from the Bears, whose schedule is softer than a month old kitten and the whole country on their 'wagon - is there really a standout team in the NFC? I suppose you could argue Seattle, Philly or NO but are they really teams to beat? I think the Vikings match up well with any of them so going deeper into the playoffs than one game is certainly attainable.

Speaking of the Bears, the way they've been beating teams makes a 3 point loss look pretty good as well as the Vike's defense holding them to under 20 points. It's unfortunate Minnesota lost to Buffalo (in a VERY winnable game) or everyone might be looking at them in a different light. 'One loss, to the best team in football (not my opinion here), and only by three points'. Still, there's the 'think in typical Minnesota fashion' ... well spoken sleepagent! Doesn't it bug the crap out of you to see the Vikings play so well against the better teams and sloppy against the weaker ones? ... and I tend to believe that's a big reason the coach was brought in. To win the winnable games, something that's haunted Minnesota for a while now.
    Who needs a Daunte when you have a Big Johnson?

ChiTownVike is offline Hall of Famer

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Nice.

I think it will come down to the last week of the season as always.

Plus, we do not beat the Bears in Chicago.
    Sorry, but we will not.
    Jeez, do we ever? I have been to SO MANY OF THOSE GAMES and they never pull it out,
    ANNNNNYWAYS,

I do like the prediction even though I do think we will be the Seahawks without Alexander

Thank you Josdin for the sig

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

I am not too worried about this year or the near future. We are gonna be a powerhouse here in the next 2 to 3 years just like philli is. I really believe that we are gonna win the super bowl in the next 5 years.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

The thing about the upcoming schedule is that every single game we play is winnable. We have proven that we can beat the bears had there not been a fumble at the end. I think we will lose one of those gimme's though and win one of the bigger ones. Judging by the upcoming schedule, 11-5, 10-6 is vey doable.

i_bleed_purple is online now Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Nice.

I think it will come down to the last week of the season as always.

Plus, we do not beat the Bears in Chicago.
    Sorry, but we will not.
    the bears don't beat us in minny, but this year they did.
    mabye its time for the old switcharoo and we start winning the tough away games

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast