Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    kelmino is offline Rookie

Vikes 2006 Playoff chances

ok well i dont post very much, but i do hang out here from time to time, and am usually in the chat room during game times.
    I decided for my first new thread I would make something positive, something that is not just a bunch of babble, and something worth me hitting that sacred "new topic" button.

Our Playoff chances

As we go into the bye week we are sitting at arespectable 3-2 something most analysts would not think would happen. Most of them would have had us at 2-3, or even 1-4.
    Most of us fans knew or at least hoped this wouldnt be the case.
    we had faith in our team all of off season, all of pre season, then when we went up to 2-0 some of us were claiming Superbowl.
    Now as we sit 3-2 some of us are calling for a QB change, coaching change, etc.
    It is just the nature of the fan I know,
    But still it is disheartening, and really makes it tough to look at these boards, and stay in the chat room as soon as we get down by any ammount of points.
    The season is young, the fans are anxious,
    But we all as a whole need to have a little paitence.
    But anyways enough of my tangent, and back to what i originally started this topic for, our playoff picture for this year

As you all know we are siting at 3-2 going into this bye week,
    Now i dont know how many of you have actually looked at the schedule we have coming up but by looking at it it doesn't look to bad.

Week 1 @Washington Won
    Week 2 Carolina Won
    week 3 Chicago Lost
    Week 4 @Buffalo Lost
    Week 5 Detroit Won
    Week 6 BYE

Week 7 @Seattle

This is going to be a tough game, and honestly we shouldnt expect to win this game.
    It does look good for us as the madden curse struck and Sean Alexander is hurt, wether or not he will be hurt during week 7 is still up in the air as its still to early to tell.
    an injured Sean Alexander woudl be best for us, but this game isnt a throw int he towel game it is still a possible win for us. but lets just take worse case senerio and say we loose this one

Record after week 7
    3-3

Week 8 New England

Another tough game, but we do have a few things going for us after this game one it is at home, 2, new England isnt playing all that hot right now.
    Hopefully we can pull this one off, but lets just say we loose this one.

Record after week 8 3-4

Week 9 @San Francisco

Our next very winnable game, and at this point in the season we will not be able to loose any of these types of games if we do plan on getting into the playoffs.
    if we drop to 3-5 then its time to panic, but we should win this game.

Record after week 9 4-4

Week 10 Green Bay

Very winnable again

Record after week 10 5-4

Week 11 @Miami

Ahh yes the game i cant wait for, vikes Vs Culpepper,
    as long as he doesn't loose his starting position before this game our D will murder culpepper.
    at least 3 turnovers for him, 2 fumbles and 2 INT is more of a probability

Record after week 11 6-4

Week 12 Arizona

whats this, yes another winnable game, they have no o line and matty will be hitting durt all day

Record after week 12 7-4, now that looks pretty doesn't it

Week 13 @Chicago

Ahh yes Chicago again... this one is going to be a pain in the ass yes it is, and is probably not going to be a win.
    We should be on at least a 4 game winning streak, and Chicago will be coming off of 2 tough games, and hopefully will be a little beat up. but they will probably be on a 12-0 record at this point.
    and well its about time for a lose for them hopefully we can pull it out, but even if we don't the season is not over quite yet.

Record after week 13 7-5

Week 14 @Detroit

Very winnable

Record after week 14 8-5

Week 16 N.Y. Jets
    Week 17 @Green Bay
    Week 18 St. Louis

Now the rest I am not going to go in depth into, but by looking at those teams I'd be very happy going into the last 3 weeks with a 8-5 record anyway you look at it its a very good chance to get into the playoffs

Week 17 we should win, and we will need this win at this point wether we win against NY or not.

2 out of the last 3 games are at home, and the game thats not is against the team who by that time we will probably be playing against Aaron Rogers

At this time our O line should mesh greatly, since they have been playing with each other for almost an entire season.

If we can win 2 out of those 3 we will be at 10-6 which should get us into the playoffs, if we can beat all 3 of those teams, as they are all winnable we will be 11-5.
    Now thats a great record if i do say so my self.
    and def in the playoffs as a wild card.
    where we go from there is on the team, but its something that is very possible.

So before you say switch QB's, or fire Childress look at the big picture, into the playoffs, with a veteren QB, who has had time to get used to our WR's, and an O line that at that point should be a hell of an o line,Now im not saying Superbowl or anything just quite yet.
    But take it one game at time, and remember how the Steelers won the superbowl last year.
    got in via a wild card like us, beats what everyone thing is the greatest team of all time in the colts last year, then wins the superbowl,
    This year it will be us in the wildcard spot facing a team who people will be considering one of the greatest teams of all time in the bears.
    we shall see what happens, just dont give up faith quite yet.

and ignore the spelling/grammer mistakes i really dont feel like proof reading all of that :P

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikes 2006 Playoff chances

Good analysis...although I think we can beat Seattle without Shaun Alexander.
    And possibly beat New England as well.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

I think we have a chance to make the playoffs as well considering we have a favorable schedule.
    The problem is that while making the playoofs is great fun and I'll be enjoying it if it happens... I just don't know how far we can get.

I'm not going to make this a negative thread.
    If our defense can keep up this pace and continue to get us into the 4th quarter, when all those running plays pay off in the passing and running game, then we have a chance to win any game.
    I don't care who we're playing...

When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

A very fair evaluation....although IF we do lose the next two games, it will be interesting to see how the team moral is going into the soft part of the schedule.
    If we go into SF with over a .500 record, we should do very well in the second half of the season.....if we go into SF with under a .500 record....we could be in a situation of teammates calling each other out and a team doubting themselves.....

Lets hope you are right....I love our chances of the playoffs if we have an 8-5 record with 3 to play!
    I'd much rather see the Packers miss the playoffs because of their talent then because of their injuries.

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

Good thread....But I agree I think we take Seattle. Also I think we beat the Bears at home.

I would not be suprised if we drop one to NE. Even though Childress does have some experience against them from the Eagles SB. NE is just the best coached team in the league and I give them a chance to win every week.

But overall I like it. If any lost comes back to haunt us it will be the Bears games at home.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

Good post, dude.

Yeah, I suppose your asessment sounds fair.

However, much can change day-to-day. Let's hope they get themselves rested up this week, and come out of the bye and into Seattle with guns blazin'.
    -Sno

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Nice.

I think it will come down to the last week of the season as always.

Plus, we do not beat the Bears in Chicago.
    Sorry, but we will not.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

Great post.
    I think we win 11 games this year.
    We are only going to get better as the season goes along.
    I think Childress will open up the offense a bit as he feels more comfortable with what they can do well.
    We should be really pulling it together at the end of the season.
    ;D

WWBGD

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Very fair assesment.

The only counterpoint I can think of is how we played against Buffalo. That was a "very winnable" game and we not only lost but played pathetically. That game serves as an indication that we might have a habit to playing down to bad teams, and suddenly a lot of those "very winnable" games become question marks.

To end positively though, I don't think losses to Seattle and NE will affect us. Morale may be a bit down, but we would still be 2nd in the NFC North and have a good chance at the playoffs. Of course, if we beat the Seahawks at Seattle, or NE on MNF, morale will be sky high.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

umaguma1979 is offline Asst. Coach

If the Vikes can stay at .500 for the next couple of games, we have a good shot.
    Down the stretch we get to play Detroit, San Fran, Greenbay(2), AZ, & the Jets, all winable games.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast