Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    So... we're back at the same place we were in 2009? Hate to say I told you so.... but, uh, yeah... I told you so.

We cannot go with another stop-gap veteran solution. That is not the answer.
    At least that veteran in 2009 got us to the championship game.

I agree that we dont need no old veterans and should find a young talent, but we just shot ourselves in the foot by trying to go with a young qb.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by PackSux! View Post
    At least that veteran in 2009 got us to the championship game.

I agree that we dont need no old veterans and should find a young talent, but we just shot ourselves in the foot by trying to go with a young qb.
    1: "That Veteran" was a sure-fire HOF QB who had a history of making more from less. Got anyone else out there who matches that criteria? No? Then seeking a Veteran stop-gap QB is pointless as the core issues that doom this team will STILL EXIST.

2: We didn't shoot ourselves in the foot by drafting Ponder, we shot ourselves in the foot by hiring Frazier and keeping the core of Childress' staff. The Wilfs, I suspect, kept Frazier because like Childress before him, Leslie allows them to pretend they know something about football. They don't.

What NEEDS to happen is Frazier and his entire staff needs to go bye-bye. Spielman needs to prove his worth by finding and hiring a new HC who has a friggin clue. The Wilfs have to be told to be quiet and sign checks. We can't fire the Wilf's (which is really too bad), but THEY need to find out if Spielman is the right guy by letting him do what GM's do. The new HC, with Spielman, need to then rebuild the franchise. Anything short of that extreme will simply be more hole filling, and band-aid application.

..and will continue to result in unimpressive results.

Caine

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Ponder seems to be getting worse week by week. He looks scared and sometimes, like he'd rather not be on the field. I'm starting to think that their stubborn, goona start him anyway mentality is actually starting to do some damage...as in, not only is this experience not good for him, it might be bad, mmm Kay?

I realize that video is highlights, but Webb is a hell of an athlete, and does seem to have a bit more touch on his throws... I'd like to see him get involved a bit these last few weeks, whether as a wildcat style package or after Ponder's next two picks...D'oh!! See how He is developing, let Ponder simmer for a minute and get his head back in the game...AND, sign Alex Smith if we can. Open up next year with a 3-way QB competition, but with the idea that Smith will win, and Webb and Ponder could both stand a bit more time simmering on the sidelines.

I'm not real down on the Wilfs...at least a Stadium seems to be happening, and we did come within a bounty scandal of a superbowl appearance while playing in a championship game.

I don't know about Frazier either...I mean, really, he wasn't dealt the greatest of hands with the way Chiller's last two years left us cap-strapped and old. We seem to have had a great draft, and, most importantly, we have seen growth among most other young players. Sure, the schedule early was easier, but Harvin was leading the league in catches at one point, AP was All Day as usual, the OL was solid, the D improved, and we were 4-1...and Ponder was looking pretty good as a game manager.

Definitely not sold on the Offense tho it does seem to work for Peterson.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    My best case would be Vick or Smith.
    I am leaning towards Smith because he can stay healthy and has performed ok with a TE and RB and not much more at WR. Our GM needs to:

1. Sign Smith to a multi year contract, could be had cheaply since being cut.
    2. Trade for Bowe & work out a deal paying about 7 million a year. In this market WRs demand it.
    3. Draft Utah's DT, who has proven to be a pocket collapsing tackle.
    4. Trade back into the 1st round to secure the services of 1 of the big 4 Wrs.
    5. Sign Harvin to a long term contract.

This will give us a a WR corps of Bowe, Harvin, Woods with Rudolph at TE. Our QB is careful with the ball and has been proven to play mistake free ball.
    Yup. Do this. We need two upgrades at WR...tho in order to have a first round pick to spend on DT and/or WR, we'll likely need to look at FA rather than a trade...
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

The qb spot is definitely an issue for this team. I'm sure we will see Ponder again as the starter next year after hearing all of Spielmans love for him.

If AD is having the best year of his carreer we should be at the top of the division with a 1st round bye. Something is obviously lacking somewhere. Defense has played pretty good so far as well.

Now I'm not putting all the blame on Ponder, but I hate seeing him get worse as the season goes on. It should be the opposite. The first few games of the season he seemed great. No turnovers, confident and accurate with throws while playing smart football.

The second half of the season he has been the complete opposite. I'm biting my nails with every throw waiting for the interception. He seems to have lost all confidence and looks scared.

Now I still haven't given up on Ponder completely yet. I think some of his downfall has been because of the scheme, lack of targets, and coaching. I wouldn't mind a clean of house for the coaching staff on offense with Frazier included. A less predictable offensive game plan would be great!

I say we give Webb a shot and go from there....

Done/

thorshammer is offline Asst. Coach
    It would be fun to watch Webb run the spread or pistol .... exciting anyway ...

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    My best case would be Vick or Smith.
    I am leaning towards Smith because he can stay healthy and has performed ok with a TE and RB and not much more at WR. Our GM needs to:

1. Sign Smith to a multi year contract, could be had cheaply since being cut.
    2. Trade for Bowe & work out a deal paying about 7 million a year. In this market WRs demand it.
    3. Draft Utah's DT, who has proven to be a pocket collapsing tackle.
    4. Trade back into the 1st round to secure the services of 1 of the big 4 Wrs.
    5. Sign Harvin to a long term contract.

This will give us a a WR corps of Bowe, Harvin, Woods with Rudolph at TE. Our QB is careful with the ball and has been proven to play mistake free ball.
    Etu Brute'

Come on. Until Smith had a coach who could come up with a scheme he fit, he was crap. Is Musgrove gonna be that guy here?

Vick? He's another version of Dnabb. Old washed up beat up tired....well, you see were I'm going with this.

Barclay? LOL. Kid should have come out when he had everyone fooled.

Bowe is good. DT is good. WR in the draft is good. Sign Harvin is good.

Give Ponder those weapons and all will be fine.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    1: "That Veteran" was a sure-fire HOF QB who had a history of making more from less. Got anyone else out there who matches that criteria? No? Then seeking a Veteran stop-gap QB is pointless as the core issues that doom this team will STILL EXIST.

2: We didn't shoot ourselves in the foot by drafting Ponder, we shot ourselves in the foot by hiring Frazier and keeping the core of Childress' staff. The Wilfs, I suspect, kept Frazier because like Childress before him, Leslie allows them to pretend they know something about football. They don't.

What NEEDS to happen is Frazier and his entire staff needs to go bye-bye. Spielman needs to prove his worth by finding and hiring a new HC who has a friggin clue. The Wilfs have to be told to be quiet and sign checks. We can't fire the Wilf's (which is really too bad), but THEY need to find out if Spielman is the right guy by letting him do what GM's do. The new HC, with Spielman, need to then rebuild the franchise. Anything short of that extreme will simply be more hole filling, and band-aid application.

..and will continue to result in unimpressive results.

Caine
    Still trying to blame Childress I see. LOL

I like everything else you said but need to ask, what Veteran, Cunningham? He got us as far as, well, you know who. .......snicker.....
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by idahovikefan7 View Post
    The qb spot is definitely an issue for this team. I'm sure we will see Ponder again as the starter next year after hearing all of Spielmans love for him.

If AD is having the best year of his carreer we should be at the top of the division with a 1st round bye. Something is obviously lacking somewhere. Defense has played pretty good so far as well.

Now I'm not putting all the blame on Ponder, but I hate seeing him get worse as the season goes on. It should be the opposite. The first few games of the season he seemed great. No turnovers, confident and accurate with throws while playing smart football.

The second half of the season he has been the complete opposite. I'm biting my nails with every throw waiting for the interception. He seems to have lost all confidence and looks scared.

Now I still haven't given up on Ponder completely yet. I think some of his downfall has been because of the scheme, lack of targets, and coaching. I wouldn't mind a clean of house for the coaching staff on offense with Frazier included. A less predictable offensive game plan would be great!

I say we give Webb a shot and go from there....

Done/
    I've never once seen him bite his nails when throwing.

He looked fine in the beginning because the few plays Musgrove came up with that worked, worked. Over time, teams figured out how to defend against those and Musgrove hasn't come up with anything else.

Mix in pretty piss poor route running by all the other WR's (not coming out of breaks right/running to long-short stems) for a QB who is supposed to throw timing routes to spots before WR's get there and you will see why he looks hesitant.

My guess, after the first 4 times a WR wasn't at a spot he started to hold the ball just a second longer to see if he was going to the spot he was supposed to be going to. As time (and reps) went on, he started to hesitate more and more.

Get the kid some guys who know how to run a route, can get separation and make a play on a ball when they have to, and he won't look that way my friend.

purple pain is offline Waterboy
    Shanahan in Washington has the perfect offense for the Vikings...The Pistol. Like an earlier post mentioned Joe Webb would be an instant lock and load. Defenses have no clue yet on how to stop it & with all the athletic QB's now the make-up of the new NFL this could be around for a long time. Bring in an OC that get's it, get the players to buy in & watch out. I think Shanahan is the new Walsh.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast