Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Veteran Favre Enjoys Playing With Sullivan

"MaxVike" wrote:
    So, is it feasible that Childress actually knows what he is doing?
    This kid is doing a great job and is assuming a leadership role.
    Good stuff...best case scenario planning re: divesting of Birk (whom, I love) and selecting Sullivan to be the C of the future.
    So far, so good... seemless? no, but, can't argue the decision.

Favre's endorsement, icing on the cake.
    I was wondering the same thing.
    So much has been made on this forum that Chilly doesn't know how to develop young players.
    Even though Griff is doing well, Loadholt is holding his own, Sully is doing well.
    AP is AP.
    Rice is starting to flourish.
    Greenway is becoming a stud.
    All of these are draft choices from Chilly's regime and all are contributing to the success of this team.

So this is where the Chilly haters give Favre all the credit which I do believe he should get some.
    However, before you do that I will point out to the same people that you were the ones blaming Childress for supposedly lacking the ability to develop young guys.
    If you blame for bad you have to give credit for good.
    Do you think Rice just all of the sudden got better because Favre is here?
    Maybe statistically but let's face it.
    He's had it in him but he needed a QB to get him the ball.
    You give him opportunity he will catch it most of the time no matter who throws to him.

Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer

"Prophet" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    Favre enjoys playing with everyone
    Sullivan has a huge sack, keeps Favre's hands in place while waiting for the ball.
    LMFAO
    ;D

Sullivan is doing ok, he had a year learning from Birk and now he is snapping to a future HOF quarterback so he can't really fail to learn and keep improving, he of course makes mistakes but it takes time.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"ejmat" wrote:
    "MaxVike" wrote:
    Good stuff...best case scenario planning re: divesting of Birk (whom, I love) and selecting Sullivan to be the C of the future.

So much has been made on this forum that Chilly doesn't know how to develop young players.
    Even though Griff is doing well, Loadholt is holding his own, Sully is doing well.
    AP is AP.
    All of these are draft choices from Chilly's regime and all are contributing to the success of this team.

So this is where the Chilly haters give Favre all the credit which I do believe he should get some.
    However, before you do that I will point out to the same people that you were the ones blaming Childress for supposedly lacking the ability to develop young guys.
    You give him opportunity he will catch it most of the time no matter who throws to him.
    I'll give Chilly credit for developing Rice, Griffin, Edwards, Sullivan, Robison, and Tyrell Johnson but I'm not gonna give him credit for Greenway, AD, and Harvin. Those guys came as advertised and would play well under any coach.

Moreover, for every John Sullivan there is a Ryan Cook.
    For every Cedric Griffin there is a Marcus McCauley.
    For every Tyrell Johnson there is a Greg Blue.
    For every Percy Harvin there is an Aundrae Allison, and Chandler Williams
    And surely it would a travesty to forget Tarvaris Jackson and John David Booty

When it comes to late-round gems. Chilly sucks at both picking them and developing them. So either his eye for talent vanishes after the first two rounds, or he is not capable of making a players overachieve. I think its the latter.

Edwards and Sullivan are the only starters which Chilly drafted outside of the first two rounds.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"V" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "MaxVike" wrote:

AP is AP.

I'll give Chilly credit for developing Rice, Griffin, Edwards, Sullivan, Robison, and Tyrell Johnson but I'm not gonna give him credit for Greenway, AD, and Harvin. Those guys came as advertised and would play well under any coach.

When it comes to late-round gems. Chilly sucks at both picking them and developing them. So either his eye for talent vanishes after the first two rounds, or he is not capable of making a players overachieve. I think its the latter.

Edwards and Sullivan are the only starters which Chilly drafted outside of the first two rounds.
    First, the Chiller isn't the only one in on the "Drafting" process.
    Believe it or not we have a whole staff that works those things.

Second, have you looked at the success rate of late round picks in the NFL?

Vikes are actually pretty high with respect to getting production out of them.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"V" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "MaxVike" wrote:

AP is AP.

You can't just not give credit for young players developing because they came as advertised.
    If that were the case every 1st and 2nd round pick would be studs in this league.
    Just because players aren't starting doesn't mean they don't contribute.
    You are right.
    For every AP there's a RB that doesn't make it (and many picked in the 1st round too).
    For every Harvin there is a Chandler.

Show me one coach that has all their draft picks starting in this league.
    How many teams have more than 2 players that were drafted in late rounds by that same team that are starting?
    My guess is not that many although I am sure there are.
    But it still doesn't mean they aren't contributing somewhat.
    If a player makes the 53 man squad they are contrinuting one way or another.
    Let's not forget that Thigpen did a good job when given the chance and he was a 7th round pick too.
    It may not have been with the Vikings but I am disproving your theory of Chilly's eye for talent diminishing after the 2nd round.
    How many STers or undrafted FAs are on STs that contribute?

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"ejmat" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "MaxVike" wrote:

AP is AP.

You can't just not give credit for young players developing because they came as advertised.
    If that were the case every 1st and 2nd round pick would be studs in this league.
    You are right.
    For every AP there's a RB that doesn't make it (and many picked in the 1st round too).

How many teams have more than 2 players that were drafted in late rounds by that same team that are starting?
    Let's not forget that Thigpen did a good job when given the chance and he was a 7th round pick too.
    It may not have been with the Vikings but I am disproving your theory of Chilly's eye for talent diminishing after the 2nd round.
    I stated, then disagreed, that Childress loses his eye for talent. However, this is not so much about seeing talent (which scouts also get credit for) as it is developing that talent (which is a function of the coaches). I refer to starters not because starters are the only ones who contribute, but because several drafted starters indicate a program that is capable of growing young players INTO starters. If the average player's career is 3 years, a team won't have more than 9 drafted starters unless they are developing late round talent well.

So, like I said before, I give Chilly credit for Edwards, Sullivan, Griffin, Johnson, and Rice, because he turned them into starters. Guys like AD and Percy just don't fit my definition.
    To make the records even, I did not include playoff wins and losses but the playoff appearances are noted.
    Top 3 Teams in blue. Bottom 3 Teams in red.

NFL Teams ranked by how many starters that they drafted. (Record from 2007-2009)

1. Jacksonville

- 17 of 22 - (21-20) - 1PA
    2. Indianapolis

- 16 of 22 - (34-7) - 2PA

3. Pittsburgh

- 16 of 22 - (28-13) - 2PA - 1SBW

4. Philadelphia

- 15 of 22 - (22-18-1) - 1PA
    5. Baltimore

- 15 of 22 - (21-20) - 1PA
    6. San Francisco
    - 15 of 22 - (16-25)
    7. Arizona

- 14 of 22 - (23-18) - 1PA - 1SBA
    8. Green Bay

- 14 of 22 - (24-17) - 1PA
    9. Carolina

- 14 of 22 - (23-19) - 1PA
    10. New England

- 13 of 22 - (33-8) - 1PA - 1SBA

11. San Diego

- 13 of 22 - (25-16) - 2PA
    12. Chicago

- 13 of 22 - (20-21)
    13. Buffalo

- 13 of 22 - (17-24)
    14. Tampa Bay

- 13 of 22 - (19-22) - 1PA
    15. Atlanta

- 12 of 22 - (20-21)
    16. Cincinnati

- 12 of 22 - (18-22-1)
    17. Dallas

- 12 of 22 - (28-13) - 1PA

18. Miami

- 12 of 22 - (17-25) - 1PA
    19. New Orleans

- 12 of 22 - (24-17)
    20. New York Giants - 12 of 22 - (27-14) - 2PA - 1 SBW
    21. St. Louis

- 12 of 22 - (6-35)

22. Houston

- 12 of 22 - (21-20)
    23. Minnesota

- 11 of 22 - (26-15) - 1PA

24. New York Jets

- 11 of 22 - (17-24)
    25. Detroit

- 11 of 22 - (8-33)

26. Seattle

- 11 of 22 - (17-24) - 1PA
    27. Oakland

- 11 of 22 - (11-30)
    28. Tennessee

- 11 of 22 - (26-15) - 2PA
    29. Cleveland

- 9 of 22 - (15-26)
    30. Kansas City

- 9 of 22 - (8-33
    )

31. Washington

- 9 of 22 - (20-21) - 1PA
    32. Denver

- 8 of 22 - (21-20)

Shows us a lot of things:
    1. Parity is real.
    2. The Cutler Trade was a bad one.
    3. Teams that draft well are more likely to go to the playoffs.
    4. Teams that draft well are more likely to win.
    5. Suddenly, the collapses by SEA, WAS, NYG and TEN i 2009 are not so surprising.
    6. Teams which are perennially good draft well.

For how good we are this year, we are really low on that list. However, a lot of our success can be attributed to the play of our draft picks. Not just AD, Harvin, and Greenway, but Sullivan, Rice, Edwards and Griffin as well.

I cannot fully explain it but it is a strong trend. Maybe it's because homegrown talent tends to believe in the system, raising team morale and confidence. Maybe because it's because we have Favre. I dunno.

I do think that the fact that we rank so low on that list does mean that Chilly is sub par in developing talent.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

"V" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "MaxVike" wrote:

AP is AP.

Brian Robison is pretty good.

midgensa is offline Jersey Retired Free Kick Specialist 3 Champion

"V" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "MaxVike" wrote:

AP is AP.

Woah now ... some of those comparisons really are not fair.

Comparing a first round pick like Harvin to Aundrae Allison and Chandler Williams? Lets be real ... Allison and Williams were LONG SHOTS to make it in the NFL ... and we did pretty well with Allison for what he was.

Comparing Tyrell Johnson ... a second round pick ... to a fifth-round flier of a pick like Greg Blue?

The McCauley pick definitely did not pan out ... but still comparing a second-rounder like Griffin to a third rounder like McCauley?

To use late round picks as anti-examples is just not fair. Late round picks are at best fliers for most squads, especially one as deep and talented as ours.

Now, Ryan Cook and Tarvaris Jackson are fair ones to throw out there, but he does have Loadholt, Johnson, Griffin and even later round guys like Reynaud, JJ and Sullivan to more than account for the few and far between first-day flubs.

"V" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "MaxVike" wrote:

AP is AP.

You are right.

I stated, then disagreed, that Childress loses his eye for talent. However, this is not so much about seeing talent (which scouts also get credit for) as it is developing that talent (which is a function of the coaches). I refer to starters not because starters are the only ones who contribute, but because several drafted starters indicate a program that is capable of growing young players INTO starters. If the average player's career is 3 years, a team won't have more than 9 drafted starters unless they are developing late round talent well.

So, like I said before, I give Chilly credit for Edwards, Sullivan, Griffin, Johnson, and Rice, because he turned them into starters. Guys like AD and Percy just don't fit my definition.
    To make the records even, I did not include playoff wins and losses but the playoff appearances are noted.
    Top 3 Teams in blue. Bottom 3 Teams in red.

NFL Teams ranked by how many starters that they drafted. (Record from 2007-2009)

1. Jacksonville

- 17 of 22 - (21-20) - 1PA
    2. Indianapolis

- 16 of 22 - (34-7) - 2PA

3. Pittsburgh

- 16 of 22 - (28-13) - 2PA - 1SBW

4. Philadelphia

- 15 of 22 - (22-18-1) - 1PA
    5. Baltimore

- 15 of 22 - (21-20) - 1PA
    6. San Francisco

- 15 of 22 - (16-25)
    7. Arizona

- 14 of 22 - (23-18) - 1PA - 1SBA
    8. Green Bay

- 14 of 22 - (24-17) - 1PA
    9. Carolina

- 14 of 22 - (23-19) - 1PA
    10. New England

- 13 of 22 - (33-8) - 1PA - 1SBA

11. San Diego

- 13 of 22 - (25-16) - 2PA
    12. Chicago

- 13 of 22 - (20-21)
    13. Buffalo

- 13 of 22 - (17-24)
    14. Tampa Bay

- 13 of 22 - (19-22) - 1PA
    15. Atlanta

- 12 of 22 - (20-21)
    16. Cincinnati

- 12 of 22 - (18-22-1)
    17. Dallas

- 12 of 22 - (28-13) - 1PA

18. Miami

- 12 of 22 - (17-25) - 1PA
    19. New Orleans

- 12 of 22 - (24-17)
    20. New York Giants - 12 of 22 - (27-14) - 2PA - 1 SBW
    21. St. Louis

- 12 of 22 - (6-35)

22. Houston

- 12 of 22 - (21-20)
    23. Minnesota

- 11 of 22 - (26-15) - 1PA

24. New York Jets

- 11 of 22 - (17-24)
    25. Detroit

- 11 of 22 - (8-33)

26. Seattle

- 11 of 22 - (17-24) - 1PA
    27. Oakland

- 11 of 22 - (11-30)
    28. Tennessee

- 11 of 22 - (26-15) - 2PA
    29. Cleveland

- 9 of 22 - (15-26)
    30. Kansas City

- 9 of 22 - (8-33
    )

31. Washington

- 9 of 22 - (20-21) - 1PA
    32. Denver

- 8 of 22 - (21-20)

Shows us a lot of things:
    1. Parity is real.
    2. The Cutler Trade was a bad one.
    3. Teams that draft well are more likely to go to the playoffs.
    4. Teams that draft well are more likely to win.
    5. Suddenly, the collapses by SEA, WAS, NYG and TEN i 2009 are not so surprising.
    6. Teams which are perennially good draft well.

For how good we are this year, we are really low on that list. However, a lot of our success can be attributed to the play of our draft picks. Not just AD, Harvin, and Greenway, but Sullivan, Rice, Edwards and Griffin as well.

I cannot fully explain it but it is a strong trend. Maybe it's because homegrown talent tends to believe in the system, raising team morale and confidence. Maybe because it's because we have Favre. I dunno.

I do think that the fact that we rank so low on that list does mean that Chilly is sub par in developing talent.
    Great numbers V.
    Good research!
    However, let's talk about good players in those numbers.
    Sure some of those teams may be playing more of their drafted talent but where are they in retrospect to the Vikings?
    It shows the Vikings are pretty deep with their vets and FA acquisitions.
    Some of those other teams may have more of their own draftees starting but what was the scenarios?

I think the VIkings have several up and coming players in this league that may not necessarily be starting now.
    Look at Robison.
    He's prety damn good but he's behind Jared Allen.
    There's Heath Farwell, Erin Henderson, Jasper Brinkley, Abdullah, Frampton, etc.... that contribute on STs.
    Just because they are not starters right now doesn't mean Chilly or the Vikings scout team has a bad eye for talent.
    People don't have to start to be considered a good player.
    Example. Johnathan Stewart is not a starter is he a good player or of starting calibur?
    That's just one player and I can go on and on with those examples but I'm sure you get my point.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Good point EJ

We have tons of people contribute

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast