Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Veteran cornerback is soaking it all in

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/94544759.html

Vikings OTAs: Veteran cornerback is soaking it all in to find best fit

By JUDD ZULGAD and CHIP SCOGGINS, Star Tribune staff writers
    Last update: May 20, 2010 - 10:52 PM

Lito Sheppard didn't have much interest in discussing his one-year stint with the New York Jets following the Vikings' practice that was part of organized team activities (OTAs) -- "I really can't get into that," he said -- but it's clear that the veteran cornerback has an eye on reestablishing himself after a trying season.

"It's big," Sheppard said of getting a fresh start in Minnesota. "It's kind of been [difficult] these past couple of years, but I think [the Vikings] are definitely going to see what I'm capable of doing and it will show."
    =Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Re:Veteran cornerback is soaking it all in

Zeus wrote:

Lito Sheppard didn't have much interest in discussing his one-year stint with the New York Jets following the Vikings' practice that was part of organized team activities (OTAs) -- "I really can't get into that," he said -- but it's clear that the veteran cornerback has an eye on reestablishing himself after a trying season.

"It's big," Sheppard said of getting a fresh start in Minnesota. "It's kind of been [difficult] these past couple of years, but I think [the Vikings] are definitely going to see what I'm capable of doing and it will show."
    =Z=
    I'm not as excited about Lito as many others here.
    Peyton Manning ate his lunch last year.
    Hopefully he will be better this year.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

jargomcfargo wrote:
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=
    I am excited that he signed with us. Are there better CBs in the league, yeah. But is he an upgrade on what we have on THIS team, YES! While he may not be an all pro he will make this team better. And if we keep getting better at some positions every year even if it is incrementally we will see a championship soon.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

VIPER420 is offline Rookie

jargomcfargo wrote:
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=
    Peyton Manning does that to 99% of cornerbacks. Cant fault him just for that.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

jargomcfargo wrote:
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=
    Don't underestimate the power of veteran leadership, especially in the secondary.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

VIPER420 wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=
    You better stop using that logic shit on here

bsmithberkley is offline Pro-Bowler

marstc09 wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=
    Don't underestimate the power of veteran leadership, especially in the secondary.
    I have to agree there, Cornerback seems to be the most effective spot for a quality Veteran free agent add to make a difference. The Jets secondary was heads and shoulders better than everyone else last year, and Lito was an important part of that.

Lito is a quality cover-corner and when healthy he brings 4.3 speed to the game. A combination we have not seen for a while.

At the very least he should make our Nickel and Dime defenses much better. If Cook can hang with the opponents "Big WR" then the Nickel and Dime packages will be very good indeed!

In the base Tampa-2 package I think Lito is just insurance. Winfield, Sapp, Allen and Cook are all much better suited for that role.
    None

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

bsmithberkley wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=
    I have to agree there, Cornerback seems to be the most effective spot for a quality Veteran free agent add to make a difference. The Jets secondary was heads and shoulders better than everyone else last year, and Lito was an important part of that.

Lito is a quality cover-corner and when healthy he brings 4.3 speed to the game. A combination we have not seen for a while.

At the very least he should make our Nickel and Dime defenses much better. If Cook can hang with the opponents "Big WR" then the Nickel and Dime packages will be very good indeed!

In the base Tampa-2 package I think Lito is just insurance. Winfield, Sapp, Allen and Cook are all much better suited for that role.
    I know I will get labled as a hater for this, but I don't think Whinny is suited for anything anymore.

I have warmed to Benny, Asher impressed a bit last year, and I can't wait to see Cook play at the next level.

I wouldn't mind seeing Lito and Griff on the field at the same time though if/when Griff is 100%.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

Marrdro wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

I know I will get labled as a hater for this, but I don't think Whinny is suited for anything anymore.

I have warmed to Benny, Asher impressed a bit last year, and I can't wait to see Cook play at the next level.

I wouldn't mind seeing Lito and Griff on the field at the same time though if/when Griff is 100%.
    I disagree, I have been saying it seems forever now that we should move Winfield to FS. He has more than enough speed to cover the slot. He brings the wood for a FS. And he would be great as a vet helping the other guys get aligned. I think we have enough young good CBs that now is the time to move him.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

VIPER420 wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=
    I have done a lot of research since this and it appears Lito's problem was mainly injury.
    Given that, I'm much more optomistic.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast