Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 74
  1. #21
    VikingMike's Avatar
    VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Very interesting question...

    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    Cool thread.
    If I were to pick one player for selfish reasons, it would be Joey Browner... favorite of all time.


    If I was picking for need, Tark.
    Instantly makes a superbowl contender.

    Since we are talking about Viking greats... I just found out Chuck Foreman AND Ron Yary are going to be at a local sport memorablia store this weekend for autographs. How cool is that?

    http://www.tidewatersports.com/upsign.aspx#May32008

    That's real cool...are you going?
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

    Come from the land of the ice and snow...

  2. #22
    SKOL's Avatar
    SKOL is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,735

    Re: Very interesting question...

    "VikingMike" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:
    ....I remember Ed White on ABC's Superstars (?) competition in the 70's.
    Didn't he bust someone's arm in an arm wrestling competition?
    That guy was badass.
    My favorite Viking all-time.
    Can't find the arm wrestling stuff, but here's his SuperStars page (Great site, BTW):
    http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Dugout/8973/athletes/whiteed.html

    =Z=

    The Reds clinched things with a 15-9 volleyball win.
    We lost the Superteams competition because of volleyball?!? I'm glad I didn't remember that! ;D
    I remember the 'tug-of-war' contest we lost to the Dodgers.
    They got an extra man.

    The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

  3. #23
    seaniemck7's Avatar
    seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    1,453

    Re: Very interesting question...

    "VikingMike" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    Cool thread.
    If I were to pick one player for selfish reasons, it would be Joey Browner... favorite of all time.


    If I was picking for need, Tark.
    Instantly makes a superbowl contender.

    Since we are talking about Viking greats... I just found out Chuck Foreman AND Ron Yary are going to be at a local sport memorablia store this weekend for autographs. How cool is that?

    http://www.tidewatersports.com/upsign.aspx#May32008

    That's real cool...are you going?
    I am going to try to take my kids in their Vikings gear.

    edit: i had my reply in the quote

  4. #24
    VikingMike's Avatar
    VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Very interesting question...

    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    Cool thread.
    If I were to pick one player for selfish reasons, it would be Joey Browner... favorite of all time.


    If I was picking for need, Tark.
    Instantly makes a superbowl contender.

    Since we are talking about Viking greats... I just found out Chuck Foreman AND Ron Yary are going to be at a local sport memorablia store this weekend for autographs. How cool is that?

    http://www.tidewatersports.com/upsign.aspx#May32008
    I am going to try to take my kids in their Vikings gear.


    That's real cool...are you going?

    Excellent...I wish Viking players would visit NY. ;D
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

    Come from the land of the ice and snow...

  5. #25
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Very interesting question...

    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    About the only position where I do NOT think that a Viking from the past would be an improvement is tailback.
    Maybe LG.
    This got me thinking - so here's my ALL-TIME Vikings Roster.
    My apologies if I have Left and Right mixed up on tackles, guards, ends, etc.
    I put them where I think they would have the most impact.

    QB:
    Fran Tarkenton

    RB:
    Purple Jesus
    FB:
    Tony Richardson

    LT:
    Ron Yary
    LG:
    Steve Hutchinson
    C:
    Mick Tinglehoff
    RG:
    Ed White
    RT:
    Gary Zimmerman

    WR:
    Cris Carter
    WR:
    Randy Moss

    TE:
    Steve Jordan

    K:
    Freddy Cox
    P:
    Mitch Berger

    DE:
    Carl Eller
    DT:
    Alan Page
    DT:
    Kevin Williams
    DE:
    Chris Doleman

    OLB: Matt Blair
    MLB: Jack Del Rio
    OLB: Fred McNeil

    CB:
    Carl Lee
    FS:
    Paul Krause
    SS:
    Joey Browner
    CB:
    Antoine Winfield

    =Z=
    What? no Jim Marshall?

    Also, with how today's game has changed, the players are much faster and stronger, do you think Tarkenton would be effective anymore?

  6. #26
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Very interesting question...

    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    About the only position where I do NOT think that a Viking from the past would be an improvement is tailback.
    Maybe LG.
    This got me thinking - so here's my ALL-TIME Vikings Roster.
    My apologies if I have Left and Right mixed up on tackles, guards, ends, etc.
    I put them where I think they would have the most impact.

    QB:
    Fran Tarkenton

    RB:
    Purple Jesus
    FB:
    Tony Richardson

    LT:
    Ron Yary
    LG:
    Steve Hutchinson
    C:

    Mick Tinglehoff
    RG:
    Ed White
    RT:
    Gary Zimmerman

    WR:
    Cris Carter
    WR:
    Randy Moss

    TE:
    Steve Jordan

    K:
    Freddy Cox
    P:
    Mitch Berger

    DE:
    Carl Eller
    DT:
    Alan Page
    DT:
    Kevin Williams
    DE:
    Chris Doleman

    OLB: Matt Blair
    MLB: Jack Del Rio
    OLB: Fred McNeil

    CB:
    Carl Lee
    FS:
    Paul Krause
    SS:
    Joey Browner
    CB:
    Antoine Winfield
    What? no Jim Marshall?

    Also, with how today's game has changed, the players are much faster and stronger, do you think Tarkenton would be effective anymore?

    Probably my toughest choice.
    Picked Doleman over Marshall for the pure pass-rushing skills he had.

    As to Tark - I dunno.
    I think legends are probably capable of playing in any era.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  7. #27
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Very interesting question...

    but you have to think, the reason he was so effective, is there was no way in hell any lineman could catch him, and many linebackers and safeties couldn't catch him.
    Now a days, you've got linemen like Julius Peppers and Jevon KEarse who are as fast as some runningbacks, I don't think Tark would be able to dance around all day with them tailing him.

    add to the fact he's only 6' 190 lbs, he'd get killed if some big DT were to flatten him.

  8. #28
    ThorSPL's Avatar
    ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    3,422

    Re: Very interesting question...

    How rich is our D-Line history where we can have the arguments we're having..

    I'm shocked nobody has mentioned John Randle yet... he was pretty damn amazing in his own right...

    Granted, I was still a sparkle in my daddy's eye when the Purple People Eaters were around, so I have bias towards the players I can recall watching....


    Trust me, I'm a doctor.

    www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

  9. #29
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Very interesting question...

    true John Randle would be a great cadidate,
    however the only way i'd see him making it is over Kevin williams, which is reasonable.
    Williams has yet to have 8 straight seasons with 10+ sacks.
    ON a somewhat related note, he's eligible for the HOF after this season I believe,
    do you think he'll make it first try?

  10. #30
    jargomcfargo's Avatar
    jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,776

    Re: Very interesting question...

    Keith Millard wouldn't be my first choice. But I have to give him some props. He was amazing. Stu Voight was also good but Steve Jordan was a guy I wish we still had on our team.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Interesting!!?!?
    By tarkenton10 in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-25-2006, 05:24 PM
  2. interesting
    By enlvikeman in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-28-2005, 07:20 AM
  3. Interesting on DC
    By PhxFan in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-21-2004, 01:10 PM
  4. interesting....
    By packmanxxxi in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-13-2004, 05:58 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •