Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Del Rio Guest

Re: Vaunted Vikes defense in bottom 5

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    Guess what, it is week 3. This time last year I am pretty sure we had a top 5 defense, look how that turned out.

People are stupid.
    We allowed an average of 329 yards per game through the first 3 games last year. That would put us at about 16th :grin:

Realistically though, after the common defensive teams:

Pittsburgh
    Buffalo
    Washington
    Denver Tampa
    Baltimore

Every one else is seperated by mere fractions.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    Guess what, it is week 3. This time last year I am pretty sure we had a top 5 defense, look how that turned out.

People are stupid.
    Nice and to the point! :wink:

I tell you what...our defense looks better than it has. The only reason our defense has been rated so low has been the lack of our offense to keep our defense off the field. No one can play tired and survive if your offense goes through 3 and outs all the time.
    If we look at the injury list, let's look at who is on there and then evaluate your statements based on where they played before here. As you ponder, think about the amount of time they had to spend on the field. It just breeds injuries. The stats don't lie...the more time you spend on the field then the more chance of getting hurt. The guys hurting now on D came from teams that had offenseive woas and their bodies could not hold up under that kind of stress.
    Now that we have our offense clicking again, maybe we can get those guys healthy again and back on the field after this BYE week coming up. I think that as time marches on this year we will see our defense ramp up the ratings list and really show some mettle in the next part of the season.
    Utnil next time, I'll see you on the field!

Gene Ramsay
    AKA - AlabamaViking and Norseman
    Gene Ramsay
    AKA - AlabamaViking
    www.vikingsfanatic69.com
    I'll see you on the field!
    #1 Vikings FAN in Alabama!

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"snowinapril" wrote:
    Honestly, a team may never be 100% healthy, for a whole season. I hope they don't keep making excuses.

We better not hear these comments in 3 weeks, injuries or not. It could become the D's scapegoat if they don't play well.
    You never here tha Patriots make any excuses. There back-ups and back-ups to the back-ups just step up and play! They were really dinged last year and were missing some players.

I agree:

Injuries = bad excuse.

Del Rio Guest

"AlabamaViking" wrote:
    I tell you what...our defense looks better than it has. The only reason our defense has been rated so low has been the lack of our offense to keep our defense off the field. No one can play tired and survive if your offense goes through 3 and outs all the time.
    If we look at the injury list, let's look at who is on there and then evaluate your statements based on where they played before here. As you ponder, think about the amount of time they had to spend on the field. It just breeds injuries. The stats don't lie...the more time you spend on the field then the more chance of getting hurt. The guys hurting now on D came from teams that had offenseive woas and their bodies could not hold up under that kind of stress.
    Now that we have our offense clicking again, maybe we can get those guys healthy again and back on the field after this BYE week coming up. I think that as time marches on this year we will see our defense ramp up the ratings list and really show some mettle in the next part of the season.
    Utnil next time, I'll see you on the field!

Gene Ramsay
    AKA - AlabamaViking and Norseman
    When they are getting burned in the first quarter as bad as they did against the bengals, you can't possible chalk that up to fatigue.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Cowart was saying that it was missed assignments by the SUBS, that is where my excuse philosophy comes into play.

Ultra is right, see comments above.

That excuse might fly if it is truly a learning curve thing but after the bye week, it ain't going to anymore. Subs better start playing.

Big C is offline Coordinator

I think we had 2 good games on D and one really really bad game. That Bengals game probably pushes us back about 5 positions in ranking. Look at what the Bengals did to the really good Chicago Bears defense. I think we sorely missed Cowarts experience and leadership in the Bengals game. That is the only thing different between the the week 2 defense and week 1 and 3 defenses.

Our stats may not be great, but I don't think it reflects how well the defense has been playing. Say what you want, but we were beaten by two teams that are still 3-0.
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"Big C" wrote:
    Our stats may not be great, but I don't think it reflects how well the defense has been playing. Say what you want, but we were beaten by two teams that are still 3-0.
    Tru Dat!!!

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    Honestly, a team may never be 100% healthy, for a whole season. I hope they don't keep making excuses.

We better not hear these comments in 3 weeks, injuries or not. It could become the D's scapegoat if they don't play well.
    You never here tha Patriots make any excuses. There back-ups and back-ups to the back-ups just step up and play! They were really dinged last year and were missing some players.

I agree:

Injuries = bad excuse.
    Exactly. But why did the Patriots have such a good defence despite all those injuries? It wasn't because their backups were Pro-Bowlers, it was because they had excellent coaching. Something I don't think the Vikings have.

The last few years you heard Cotrell complaining about his personnel, but that's not the problem. Good coaches find a way to succeed with non-perfect players.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

I dont care what anyone says, week 1, our defense played good. Take away that 71 yard last minute run and then tell me what you think. The defense has thier feet swept out from beneath them against the bengals cuz tice and co where scurring people on and off the field. Once you go down big its hard to come back , especially on the road. Then against the saints...we held pro bowl WR joe horn to ONE catch for 11 yards? and we pretty much held duece to a sub par day , and your tellin me this defense is just as bad as last year? no no my friend...this defense has yet to begin!

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast