Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Re: V4L's Gus Frerotte Pass Attempt Breakdown

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    LOL

I wish it was that easy my man

I think the passing game would have been about on par as it was with the way we were just throwing tiny slants and dump offs and whip routes

I think the difference would have been less sacks that were drive killers and we would have had atleast 30 rushing yards with Jackson

Who knows if he would have made a mistake to totally kill the game or not.. But a couple throws on the last 2 drives and a very indecisive play from Gus killed the game for us in the end

Had Chester not fumbled who knows if we drove down the field or not.. But never the less people were saying Gus did good in the last 2 drives.. I strongly beg to differ
    IMO the rushing would have been worse because teams would just go back to putting 8-9 guys in the box and daring jackson to throw it deep, which he is absolutely horrible at doing and the offense would have gotten less productive as the year went on as the defenses put pressure on us at the LOS and ignored the deep routes that jackson isn't able to hit on during game time.

They did have 7-8 in the box basically the whole game though my man

Re-watch the game

Expecially in the 2nd quarter they knew Gus wasn't hitting anything deep so they had 1 safety back most of the time.. 2 when they wanted to blitz and played a shell

V4L

"HEY" wrote:
    WOW! I bet you had to put a lot of work into this!

It's nice to see such a passionated fan

After watching the game and seeing Tampa Bay's Garcia make a fool of our defense I have to admitt. I really miss the srambling abilities we had at QB with Tarvaris Jackson. When it comes to scrambling abilities, Tarvaris is one of the best in the NFL IMO.

Actually, when Gus is playing there is 3 things I wish he had that Tarvaris clearly has.
    Mobility, a powerful throwing arm (although, Gus has a good arm compared to his age) and youth (Gus is right around the corner of retirement, and he will most likely not get any better than he already is at an age of 38 or something)

Agreed

And when we are throwing as short as we are the last 3-4 weeks I think Jackson can do that.. Actually that is pretty much the only throws he was making.. Plus he could have ran a few times where Gus hesitated or tried to get to the outside and got chased down by a DT

Jackson proved he was protecting the ball in his first two games and hitting the short stuff.. Exactly what Gus did this game.. However that scrambling ability could have been one of the keys to a victory for us

There were lanes for Gus when he stepped up but he is too slow so they ended up catching him

V4L

So incase im a little not making sense to anyone cuz im a little drunk and i might not be making sense here it is

I think Jackson could have hit every short throw Gus was making.. I don't know if he could have hit the longer ones.. That Shank throw was very nice

I do think his rushing ability would have helped

But Idk if he would have made much a difference

I am okay with Gus.. Not opposed to seeing if Jackson could help though

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"V4L" wrote:
    "petrodemos" wrote:
    16th Pass Attempt
    4th and 1.. Stupid play call IMO.. Playaction and Gus avoids a sack nicely.. Delivers a short ball though however.. Had it been a WR they MAY have caught it... Brooks was a split second early IMO but I wouldn't have called it either.. Had Gus had a fourth of a second earlier maybe he could have thrown it a yard farther or so.. But I wasn't too mad at Gus on this one

This was a blatant pass interference. after watching the replay, the pass was good and adrian peterson had one hand on it, i saw it and wondered where his other hand was. Brooks had his other arm tied up.

I didnt like that we went for it, but i thought the play called was excellent (except for the missed block) and showed in how brooks had to hold peterson to keep up. this would have been a touchdown had brooks not held him.

I watched it 5 times and personally thought they could have called it.. But I didn't think his arm was tied up as bad as you think..

There definitley was interference.. I didn't see much so if they did call it I would have said yes he did interfere.. But they didn't and I don't totally disagree with that

The ball was totally underthrown it was NOT a good throw.. It needed to be to his other shoulder and a little deeper.. It was short and gave Brooks a chance to get there

Had it been a little deeper it probably could have been a TD.. But it was short and IMO I would have prefereed a screen or any type of run with Adrian including a draw over a playaction with Gus noodle arm Frerotte
    Nice breakdown V4L of the passing game.
    I saw this play and IBP and I were talking about it on the BY.
    It was a blatent PI by Brooks but he also made a good play by grabbing APs arm.
    I for one, liked the call.
    It showed guts.
    If it would have been complete everyone would have been "What a great call."
    So they went for it.
    It just didn't work out.

Gus misses a lot of throws that a vet like him should hit.
    There's really no excuses.
    He's done a decent job since he came in. Nothing fantastic but an okay job.
    He has the defenses at least respecting the pass which is what TJ wasn't able to accomplish.
    If we had a QB that could hit the passes they need to hit and do okay with the rest this team would be a good team and would have control of first place.
    Our STs suck but all that aside the Vikes are still a decent QB away from being that damned good.

V4L

Idk if they really respect it though personally

They were selling out on Adrian Peterson and it worked

They played a very shallow shell alot and knew if they got pressure or took out AP Gus wouldn't hit anything deep.. His longest gain was like 17 yards

He hasn't hit a deep pass since Berrian in the Houston game when Berrian caught a very underthrown ball and I think teams are seeing this

dfosterf is offline Coach

"V4L" wrote:
    "dfosterf" wrote:
    V4L:

I didn't see your game, as I was busy with my own fish to fry [s]bear fry.[/s]
    You laid out an excellent prediction beforehand, and as I recall I agreed with you. I can't wade through all gazillion pages of the post-game thread, so I'll just ask you.
    I said Gus would be the key, that the Bucs are stiff on both lines, and that Garcia has become a "winning type quarterback" late in his career.
    Obviously it didn't go your way, so I'd just like your quick analysis of why it didn't, and I apologize for any rehashing an answer might require.
    Again, the reason I'm asking is because you do a real nice job both before and after a football game.

Thanks man I try to be as non bias as I can be

Personally I see it as the Tampa D had a much better game plan then the Vikes did

They were putting 7-8 in the box.. And anyone who doesn't think so go ahead and watch again.. They have done this to us all season.. And they were getting pressure and playing the short stuff because they know Gus can't throw it over the top

Garcia benifited from no pass rush and lack of blitzing.. Had we jammed at the line and got a couple players in there he wouldn't have hit us so quick.. Or had time to run around

Thanks for taking the time. When the Pack played them, it was extremely frustrating... of course I blamed my own team and our mistakes, but I also (grudgingly) recognized that Tampa is a quietly quite good football team.
    We didn't even have Garcia to contend with, imo a very under-rated qb in the win football games sense... sounds like you needed Gus' brains/experience/TJ's athleticism to win this one.
    Regardless, as "up" as my fellow fans are right now, and possibly how "down" your fellow fans might be (recognizing how nice it would have been for you to control your own destiny)- no one's out of the woods in our division.
    To use a boy scout analogy, we are all just entering the woods, right now my team is walking along briskly with nice field marching packs.
    Vikes and Bears fans... well, maybe a couple of straps loose on the sleeping bag, draggin' the ground a little.
    No doubt the tables will turn a couple more times this season yet. At least we can remain in semi-smack mode for more than game week in this situation. ;D
    Again, thanks... look forward to the back and forth.

V4L

Oh yah and EJmat I guess I don't think it was a bad call.. Personally I like the odds of Peterson falling forward for a yard then Gus on a playaction

But it was a bad throw and I blame the outcome on that.. Not the playcall

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"V4L" wrote:
    The thing I saw that bugged me the most was Gus was indecisive quite a bit this game and that's the main thing people had against Jackson

I saw a few times jackson would have picked up an easy 10 yards were Gus got sacked or just got back to the line

And 80+ percent of his throws were in the 5 yard range where Jackson could have hit those just as easily

Gus had some nice deeper throws which I have no clue if Jackson could hit or not because they were very nice tosses

Im with whatever the coaches want.. If they want to stick with Gus and ride the bus out ill support it, if Jackson happens to trot onto the field in the next few weeks I would like that as well

So far besides the Houston game and few other times he had some nice throws I have not been impressed with Gus

First I will give you credit for trying to be non-biased in your evaluation.
    You did a good job detailing the pass attempts.

However, your bias does tend to come though in your analysis of the overall performance.
    It was funny to see you give TJack the benefit of the doubt every time.

How about a compromise?
    I can concede that TJack would have avoided some of the sacks that Gus took.
    But the deep passes that you "have no clue if Jackson could hit or not because they were very nice tosses" I think we both know that Jackson would not have been as good on.
    Jackson has a strong arm, but is not accurate on the deep ball.

So if we were to hypothetically put TJack in yesterday's game instead of Gus:
    * TJack > Gus in avoiding the sack
    * TJack = Gus in short passing game
    * TJack < Gus in deep passing game

I honestly don't see TJack doing any better in the game.
    With the season still on the line and the Vikes in a three way tie for first, I am still very much opposed to seeing if Jackson could do better.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"V4L" wrote:
    Idk if they really respect it though personally

They were selling out on Adrian Peterson and it worked

They played a very shallow shell alot and knew if they got pressure or took out AP Gus wouldn't hit anything deep.. His longest gain was like 17 yards

He hasn't hit a deep pass since Berrian in the Houston game when Berrian caught a very underthrown ball and I think teams are seeing this
    ??? He had passes of 16, 17, 18, 19 and 23 yesterday...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

V4L

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    The thing I saw that bugged me the most was Gus was indecisive quite a bit this game and that's the main thing people had against Jackson

I saw a few times jackson would have picked up an easy 10 yards were Gus got sacked or just got back to the line

And 80+ percent of his throws were in the 5 yard range where Jackson could have hit those just as easily

Gus had some nice deeper throws which I have no clue if Jackson could hit or not because they were very nice tosses

Im with whatever the coaches want.. If they want to stick with Gus and ride the bus out ill support it, if Jackson happens to trot onto the field in the next few weeks I would like that as well

So far besides the Houston game and few other times he had some nice throws I have not been impressed with Gus

First I will give you credit for trying to be non-biased in your evaluation.
    You did a good job detailing the pass attempts.

However, your bias does tend to come though in your analysis of the overall performance.
    It was funny to see you give TJack the benefit of the doubt every time.

How about a compromise?
    I can concede that TJack would have avoided some of the sacks that Gus took.
    But the deep passes that you "have no clue if Jackson could hit or not because they were very nice tosses" I think we both know that Jackson would not have been as good on.
    Jackson has a strong arm, but is not accurate on the deep ball.

So if we were to hypothetically put TJack in yesterday's game instead of Gus:
    * TJack > Gus in avoiding the sack
    * TJack = Gus in short passing game
    * TJack < Gus in deep passing game

I honestly don't see TJack doing any better in the game.
    With the season still on the line and the Vikes in a three way tie for first, I am still very much opposed to seeing if Jackson could do better.

Nice post my man and I can agree with you on that

Thus far we haven't seen Jackson hit the deep posts so we can't say he can.. So we will just say he can't

And I only give Jackson the nod on less sacks and rushing yards because he has the ability.. We don't know if he would have panicked and not took off or if he would of.. So I just say he probably would like he did against GB

And idk if Jackson would have made a difference either and agree with gotta stick with Gus at this point.. Right now he is on page with our WRs more then Jackson would be

Im not a fan of switching QBs in the middle of a season so we gotta go with it and hope it works out well

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast