Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

V4L's Gus Frerotte Pass Attempt Breakdown

I know this isn't the official ammount of pass attempts.. I also counted a couple times he tried to run or got sacked.. Not all on him on these plays but I threw them in there

1st Pass Attempt
    I thought he should have hit AP in the flats he was wide open.. He was staring down Wade I believe it was the whole time and threw it way wide and low.. No chance there.. Bad play

2nd Pass Attempt
    Play action.. Roll out.. No one was open it looked like he had all day to run or throw it away.. He finally decides to run and gets taken down for a sack.. He had open space on the right but his lack of running ability killed this play.. Not really on Gus but there was slight hesitation due to good coverage im sure

3rd Pass Attempt
    Bucs send 7.. It was 3rd and 11.. No backers were picked up.. The only chance Gus had at a throw was a throw down the middle for a possible 5-8 yard gain.. No room to step up.. I don't blame Gus at all for this one

Gus fumbles here losing a down.. Good snap but that wasn't a pass attempt

4th Pass Attempt
    Beautiful play here.. Lays on up the Shank on the back shoulder and Shank makes a nice catch 1-3 at this point.. No hesitation and delivered a great throw

5th Pass Attempt
    Swing pass to Adrian Peterson.. Frerotte was getting rushed and this was his only chance at anything.. Good quick throw and well played on D to stop it

6th Attempt
    Completion to Berrian.. Play fake and Berrian was wide open.. It was alittle low.. Not a horrible throw though.. Had it been alittle higher Berrian could have possibly spun and got more.. Never the less it was a decent 16 yard completion

7th Pass Attempt
    Play action.. Gus rolls out and the only person I saw open was Shank and he saw him.. Would have delivered a nice throw but Shank was held.. No beef here

8th Pass Attempt
    3rd and goal about 5 to go.. Quick dump off to Wade.. Nothing special any QB could do that.. But he put up 7 for us.. Good play call and great execution.. Good job from wade for fighting for it

Thus far Gus has looked alright.. Not wowing anyone.. But he hasn't given TB a shot to get the ball besides the fumble that he fell on right away

9th Pass Attempt
    Beautiful 3 step drop and hits berrian right on the numbers for a quick slant.. His 2nd good throw today

10th Pass Attempt
    Hits Shank in tight window on a slant once again.. All i've seen the last 3 weeks is slants.. But it was a well thrown slant 6/7 at this point

Not a Gus pass attempt here but this was Sidney's atttempt.. Gus threw a block for Rice to buy more time.. Props on that for sticking his nose in.. This is where they start jumping on AP and taking all the short stuff away.. Gus starts to go down a bit at this point because he isn't making long throws lately and they are getting pressure and not letting the WRs get deeper on them

11th Pass Attempt
    Not a pass attempt but he get's surrounded after hesitating.. I can't see the WRs too well but the first 1 and a half seconds or so they weren't open.. So I can't blame Gus for holding it.. tried to run.. Jackson would have picked up 10+ thus far i've only seen 2 rushing attempts that Jackson probably could have got yards on instead of taking a sack.. Who knows if he would have had the head to do so though'

12th Pass Attempt
    3rd and 9.. It's a screen and Gus steps back from the pressure and drops it over the defenders.. No beef on this he did his part.. The blockers didn't help Chester get there

13th pass Attempt
    Trys to hit Wade on the flats.. Throws behind.. His 2nd not so great throw only.. Doing pretty decent

Halftime.. Thus far Gus is just being asked to manage the game.. I saw alot of the cover 2 shell on the Vikes this half.. They were also giving cushions and telling Gus just hit us with the slants and Gus took what was there with a couple bad plays only.. At this point I was liking what I saw of Gus and think he probably would have done a little better then Jackson at this point had Jackson been in.. I don't have the official halftime stats but I saw 3 incompletions only I believe.. With only a couple not so good throws.. Not horrible like the GB game but these throws happen from time to time

14th Pass Attempt
    Skips one to Berrian.. We see alot of these from Gus.. No big deal.. I wish he made these comeback throws better but they happen

15th Pass Attempt
    3rd and 3.. We take the slants they are giving us.. Slant to Rice.. I want deeper throws but on 3rd and 3 a slant is the perfect call

Not a pass attempt here but I want to point out a good play from Gus.. It was a rush by AP.. He didn't get anything but it was designed to go left and he came back right.. Gus threw a pretty decent block by getting in the way.. I like to see that

16th Pass Attempt
    4th and 1.. Stupid play call IMO.. Playaction and Gus avoids a sack nicely.. Delivers a short ball though however.. Had it been a WR they MAY have caught it... Brooks was a split second early IMO but I wouldn't have called it either.. Had Gus had a fourth of a second earlier maybe he could have thrown it a yard farther or so.. But I wasn't too mad at Gus on this one

17th Pass Attempt
    Bunch formation on the left.. Tampa had 2 defenders on them and Mills sneaks out to the flats.. Once again another throw to the flats.. Gain of 6 and im glad Gus made these throws this game.

18th Pass Attempt
    3rd and 3.. Gus hangs in the pocket.. Good blitz pick up.. He steps up and throws a slant to Rice.. Good throw

19th Pass Attempt
    Play action.. Deeper throw to Berrian.. I felt we needed to do this more.. When Gus was getting on his play action it was working on the deeper stuff.. Great hard strike there

20th Pass attempt
    Not a pass attempt again.. Hovan's sack here.. Gus really hesitated.. Wasn't sure if he wanted to run or not.. When he decided he wanted to run he ran right into Hovan.. Drops us back even more out of field goal range.. It was a decent play by Hovan.. Not as stupid of a play by Gus as I thought.. Herrera didn't get a good block on Hovan at all

4th Quarter.. So far Gus has made the short throws he was missing in the GB game.. And hit some pretty good deeper throws this quarter.. They are keyed on shutting down AP and trying to make Gus beat them.. He did his part but I felt the play calling was a little off.. Not bad but there were some things I would have done different

21st Pass Attempt
    3rd and 19.. Gus can't find anyone and ends up trying to get to the outside.. Jackson could have and we coulda been in field goal range.. Gus takes a sack and completely takes us out of that dropping us to the 40 due to his lack of mobility

Bucs chew up tons of minutes and leave us with 5 after a field goal.. I was mad at this point cuz we were in range then we get sacked twice and it would have been 16-16 most likely had Longwell made it.. We then take the kickoff and Hicks fumbles.. HORRIBLE timing... They get a field goal and go up by 6.. We got 3 and a half for Gus to lead us

22nd Pass Attempt
    Hits Wade short wide open.. Had all day and did what he was supposed to and just delieverd it accuaratley

23rd Pass Attempt
    Gus holds the ball a wee bit too long.. Gaines Adams gets a hand on it.. Incomplete..

24th Pass Attempt
    I coudln't see the WRs but Allison was the only one in the screen and he was open.. Im assuming they had the WRs covered.. Loss of yards to Allison.. Not a bad play at all from Gus

25th Pass Attempt
    Not sure who he was trying to hit on the sidelines.. It was too far for the front WR and too short for Rice.. Not a good throw either way and it ended the drive... I was mad at Gus for killing that drive with this one.. Only a few bad throws this game though at that point

26th Pass Attempt
    Playaction.. Deep pass to Wade.. I didn't like it but it was single coverage and why not take a shot? My only beef was this pass was incredibly short and Wade HAD to hold Talib back cuz that ball was horrible.. So 2 bad throws in a row with the game on the line..
    I was getting frustrated

27th Pass Attempt
    Held the ball wayyyy too long.. Jimmy Wilkerson sacks him

28th Pass Attempt
    Dump off to Chester was his only play im guessing because of the cover 2 shell they have been running most of the game.. Fumble and end of game

Overall I think Gus did okay.. Made some throws he should have made with a couple pretty damn nice throws.. Also so bad ones including 2 in the final 2 drives and some bad decisions

Idk if Jackson would have done better but overall im glad Gus did better then the GB game

V4L

Re: V4L's Gus Frerotte Pass Attempt Breakdown

The thing I saw that bugged me the most was Gus was indecisive quite a bit this game and that's the main thing people had against Jackson

I saw a few times jackson would have picked up an easy 10 yards were Gus got sacked or just got back to the line

And 80+ percent of his throws were in the 5 yard range where Jackson could have hit those just as easily

Gus had some nice deeper throws which I have no clue if Jackson could hit or not because they were very nice tosses

Im with whatever the coaches want.. If they want to stick with Gus and ride the bus out ill support it, if Jackson happens to trot onto the field in the next few weeks I would like that as well

So far besides the Houston game and few other times he had some nice throws I have not been impressed with Gus

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Can you plug TJ into Madden 08 and see how he would have done in comparison?

V4L

LOL

I wish it was that easy my man

I think the passing game would have been about on par as it was with the way we were just throwing tiny slants and dump offs and whip routes

I think the difference would have been less sacks that were drive killers and we would have had atleast 30 rushing yards with Jackson

Who knows if he would have made a mistake to totally kill the game or not.. But a couple throws on the last 2 drives and a very indecisive play from Gus killed the game for us in the end

Had Chester not fumbled who knows if we drove down the field or not.. But never the less people were saying Gus did good in the last 2 drives.. I strongly beg to differ

petrodemos is offline Asst. Coach

16th Pass Attempt
    4th and 1.. Stupid play call IMO.. Playaction and Gus avoids a sack nicely.. Delivers a short ball though however.. Had it been a WR they MAY have caught it... Brooks was a split second early IMO but I wouldn't have called it either.. Had Gus had a fourth of a second earlier maybe he could have thrown it a yard farther or so.. But I wasn't too mad at Gus on this one

This was a blatant pass interference. after watching the replay, the pass was good and adrian peterson had one hand on it, i saw it and wondered where his other hand was. Brooks had his other arm tied up.

I didnt like that we went for it, but i thought the play called was excellent (except for the missed block) and showed in how brooks had to hold peterson to keep up. this would have been a touchdown had brooks not held him.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"V4L" wrote:
    LOL

I wish it was that easy my man

I think the passing game would have been about on par as it was with the way we were just throwing tiny slants and dump offs and whip routes

I think the difference would have been less sacks that were drive killers and we would have had atleast 30 rushing yards with Jackson

Who knows if he would have made a mistake to totally kill the game or not.. But a couple throws on the last 2 drives and a very indecisive play from Gus killed the game for us in the end

Had Chester not fumbled who knows if we drove down the field or not.. But never the less people were saying Gus did good in the last 2 drives.. I strongly beg to differ
    IMO the rushing would have been worse because teams would just go back to putting 8-9 guys in the box and daring jackson to throw it deep, which he is absolutely horrible at doing and the offense would have gotten less productive as the year went on as the defenses put pressure on us at the LOS and ignored the deep routes that jackson isn't able to hit on during game time.

dfosterf is offline Coach

V4L:

I didn't see your game, as I was busy with my own fish to fry [s]bear fry.[/s]
    You laid out an excellent prediction beforehand, and as I recall I agreed with you. I can't wade through all gazillion pages of the post-game thread, so I'll just ask you.
    I said Gus would be the key, that the Bucs are stiff on both lines, and that Garcia has become a "winning type quarterback" late in his career.
    Obviously it didn't go your way, so I'd just like your quick analysis of why it didn't, and I apologize for any rehashing an answer might require.
    Again, the reason I'm asking is because you do a real nice job both before and after a football game.

V4L

"petrodemos" wrote:
    16th Pass Attempt

This was a blatant pass interference. after watching the replay, the pass was good and adrian peterson had one hand on it, i saw it and wondered where his other hand was. Brooks had his other arm tied up.

I didnt like that we went for it, but i thought the play called was excellent (except for the missed block) and showed in how brooks had to hold peterson to keep up. this would have been a touchdown had brooks not held him.

I watched it 5 times and personally thought they could have called it.. But I didn't think his arm was tied up as bad as you think..

There definitley was interference.. I didn't see much so if they did call it I would have said yes he did interfere.. But they didn't and I don't totally disagree with that

The ball was totally underthrown it was NOT a good throw.. It needed to be to his other shoulder and a little deeper.. It was short and gave Brooks a chance to get there

Had it been a little deeper it probably could have been a TD.. But it was short and IMO I would have prefereed a screen or any type of run with Adrian including a draw over a playaction with Gus noodle arm Frerotte

V4L

"dfosterf" wrote:
    V4L:

I didn't see your game, as I was busy with my own fish to fry [s]bear fry.[/s]
    You laid out an excellent prediction beforehand, and as I recall I agreed with you. I can't wade through all gazillion pages of the post-game thread, so I'll just ask you.
    I said Gus would be the key, that the Bucs are stiff on both lines, and that Garcia has become a "winning type quarterback" late in his career.
    Obviously it didn't go your way, so I'd just like your quick analysis of why it didn't, and I apologize for any rehashing an answer might require.
    Again, the reason I'm asking is because you do a real nice job both before and after a football game.

Thanks man I try to be as non bias as I can be

Personally I see it as the Tampa D had a much better game plan then the Vikes did

They were putting 7-8 in the box.. And anyone who doesn't think so go ahead and watch again.. They have done this to us all season.. And they were getting pressure and playing the short stuff because they know Gus can't throw it over the top

Garcia benifited from no pass rush and lack of blitzing.. Had we jammed at the line and got a couple players in there he wouldn't have hit us so quick.. Or had time to run around

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

WOW! I bet you had to put a lot of work into this!

It's nice to see such a passionated fan

After watching the game and seeing Tampa Bay's Garcia make a fool of our defense I have to admitt. I really miss the srambling abilities we had at QB with Tarvaris Jackson. When it comes to scrambling abilities, Tarvaris is one of the best in the NFL IMO.

Actually, when Gus is playing there is 3 things I wish he had that Tarvaris clearly has.
    Mobility, a powerful throwing arm (although, Gus has a good arm compared to his age) and youth (Gus is right around the corner of retirement, and he will most likely not get any better than he already is at an age of 38 or something)

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast