Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    If we take Kalil, we need to get a starting CB in free agency (possibly two) and we should also go after Dwayne Bowe.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I haven't had time to look it up but how many SB teams in the past 20 years had a LT that the team drafted in the top 3-4 picks?

My guess is it is pretty low compared to WR,DB etc.
    Probably. But then again, count how many teams have more than one starting LT vs. more than one starting WR, DB, etc.

If we can get a reliable LT, arguably the second hardest position to fill, we have something we don't have to worry about for years. If we get a LB, there's 2 more LB spots to fill, if we get a WR, we'll always need another. If we get a LT, we're set. No, it won't make us a contender, but it's one of the important foundation building blocks.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Freakout View Post
    How many Superbowl contenders ever draft in the top 3-4 picks?
    I wasn't talking about where they drafted when they were contending. The point was how many bad teams like we are right now used their 3-4 slot pick on a LT and then became a SB team?

IMHO taking a LT with that high of a pick is a waste. You take a QB, a WR, a CB or even a DE if there is a game changer. I would not take a LT until at least double digits.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Probably. But then again, count how many teams have more than one starting LT vs. more than one starting WR, DB, etc.

If we can get a reliable LT, arguably the second hardest position to fill, we have something we don't have to worry about for years. If we get a LB, there's 2 more LB spots to fill, if we get a WR, we'll always need another. If we get a LT, we're set. No, it won't make us a contender, but it's one of the important foundation building blocks.
    Why are you isolating the LT but grouping the LB's and Wr's together?

It could also be said if you get an OL, there are 4 more spots to fill with that philosophy.

A top LT is certainly someone you can build the line around, but the right WR is also a guy you build around as is the right DB or LB.

I just feel that we have a prime opportunity to get a top notch skill player. We have the QB position possibly locked up, but we also could get a better one. That would be the number one spot I would look at with that pick. Then I would look at who is available at DB because that is our glaring need. If there is a guy that can justify that pick I take them. Then WR.

More than likely we will still have a fairly high draft pick next year but hopefully not as high as this year. That pick could be used on a LT.

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries
    I wasn't talking about where they drafted when they were contending. The point was how many bad teams like we are right now used their 3-4 slot pick on a LT and then became a SB team?

IMHO taking a LT with that high of a pick is a waste. You take a QB, a WR, a CB or even a DE if there is a game changer. I would not take a LT until at least double digits.
    I just really disagree.

I knew what you meant I just don't agree with your point. It seems like a very simplistic view. It ignores team needs and position value.

Teams that are picking in the top 3 generally have a bad team. Of course a stud LT will not propel them into being a superbowl contender. That is just a unrealistic view. I also disagree that a QB, WR, CB, or even a DE miraculously propels the team into being a superbowl team.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Freakout View Post
    I just really disagree.

I knew what you meant I just don't agree with your point. It seems like a very simplistic view. It ignores team needs and position value.

Teams that are picking in the top 3 generally have a bad team. Of course a stud LT will not propel them into being a superbowl contender. That is just a unrealistic view. I also disagree that a QB, WR, CB, or even a DE miraculously propels the team into being a superbowl team.
    Well hell, that is what makes this country great. We can disagree with each other on pointless topics we have no control over through our keyboards. How great is that?

briannord is offline Rookie
    Its almost too obvious of a choice. Upgrading from charlie Johnson to a potential all pro stud prototypical LT should be the obvious choice. Keeping Ponder upright and his internal clock on track should be a main priority.

I only wish Kalil was alittle bigger, but then again fatasses havnt been working too well for us.

Dont mess this up, Take Kalil.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    v

6th round and beyond? The guys I named were drafted in the 2nd... but I doubt you bothered to look that up, just wanted to send off some snotty comment and call my statements "retarded"... huh, I wonder if you'll be banned for that?

Doubt it.

Which is odd...
    Except for Jason Peters... who you said was undrafted. Even did your condescending hint. And you didn't address anything else. How is drafting an LT NOT building for the future?

And I won't get band for a couple reasons...

Mods on here are MIA for some reason
    I haven't made it a habit of being a dick to everyone, much like you.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by briannord View Post
    Its almost too obvious of a choice. Upgrading from charlie Johnson to a potential all pro stud prototypical LT should be the obvious choice. Keeping Ponder upright and his internal clock on track should be a main priority.

I only wish Kalil was alittle bigger, but then again fatasses havnt been working too well for us.

Dont mess this up, Take Kalil.
    Thank you. How well has ignoring OL in the top rounds helped us? Just because the top LTs drafted aren't on teams in the SB doesn't mean they aren't worth the pick. LT can only do so much.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries
    Well hell, that is what makes this country great. We can disagree with each other on pointless topics we have no control over through our keyboards. How great is that?
    I'm from Canada......

I just believe if you look at this draft it is very hard not to have Kalil ranked as the second best player and he is easily the best LT in the draft. It is a big step down from Kalil to the next best LT prospect. You cannot really say that about any other position (other than Luck and we have no shot at him).

Luck
    Kalil
    Claiborne
    Coples

Those four are the cream of the crop at their positions and you are looking at a pretty big step down to the next guys behind each one.

Everyone is in love with Justin Blackmon but this draft class just doesn't have a Megatron or Fitzgerald in it. Blackmon isn't on their level coming out and this is shaping up to be a very deep draft class at wide receiver.

If Kalil is gone then Morris Claiborne should be next on the list BUT you can find upgrades to your secondary in free agency. Good luck finding a franchise LT - they never hit the market. Hell even the good ones hardly ever hit the market because if you manage to find a better one then you move your old one over to right tackle.

I will say that my preference is to trade down if a team has a hard-on for one of the quarterbacks that may be available at #2/3.

Ok I am not really from Canada :P
    Last edited by Freakout; 12-17-2011 at 12:41 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast