Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries
    Great news, great player, great pick.. Get errr done!!

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    Well, we would still need RG, RT, C, S, CB, DT, WR... hence why we should trade down. Just like I was saying 3 years ago, it's about building for the future, not winning now. Some people understand this, some don't.

The Packers understood this 3 years ago.
    Did I say it solved everything? You said it solves nothing, which is a retarded statement. It solves on of the most important positions on a football team. What about getting a LT of the future, isn't building for the future? I understand the appeal of trading back and would do it if someone gave the farm for our pick, but we have a young QB and we need to protect him. Just keep Load at RT, Sullivan has been doing a lot better this year, try and snag a top WR in FA like Bowe or Desean (though I'd rather have Bowe). We can't give up on Load so fast, give him another year and if he's garbage try a position change to G and see how that works out. But I'd much rather put Charlie at G and have Kalil at LT than whatever else you're coming up with that involves Charlie still at LT.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Blog Entries
    Nah, there are plenty LT taken later in the draft that prove to be just as good (if not better) than many taken in the first. Question, what round was Matt Light drafted in? What round was Jared Gathier drafted in? What round was Michael Roos drafted in? How about Jason Peters? (hint... he went undrafted....)
    Well by that logic, we don't need to draft anyone until the 6th and beyond! Trade back to those rounds for like 20 picks! We'll find the next Tom Brady, John Randle, Bart Scott, Jason Peters, and Wes Welker. I cannot believe you don't understand the concept that the higher you pick in the draft, the better your chance of landing a good player. Yes, gems are found throughout the draft, but compare those names that we threw out there to the ones that didn't pan out. The success rate is much higher at the top of the draft.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I would rather see a skill player or a CB be taken with our pick. While a LT is important, you never see a LT come in and elevate a team to another level like a skill player can.

Obviously any player can be a bust but I prefer to add skill players on offense and DB's to using premier picks on OL. If you install the right scheme you can get OL either in FA or later rounds that can get the job done if the FO and coaching staff are up to the job.
    Really!? Obviously LT isn't a sexy pick like a Blackmon or Claiborne, but it's just as important, if not more so. LT isn't going to be out there catching passes (obviously) but if you can get a star LT then you've secured one of the most important positions in the NFL for the next 10-15 years. Prefer drafting skill players on offense... We have AP, Harvin, and Ponder. How's that working out for us? We have one of the worst OLs in the league. The Lions also drafted lots skill players and were absolute garbage until recently.

All that being said, I'll be satisfied with Kalil or Blackmon, though I'd prefer Kalil.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I have more faith in finding a good secondary player through FA or in round 2/3 than I do in finding a LT. For me, if we have the chance to take Kalil, it is a no brainer.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    v
    Quote Originally Posted by 12purplepride28 View Post
    Well by that logic, we don't need to draft anyone until the 6th and beyond! Trade back to those rounds for like 20 picks! We'll find the next Tom Brady, John Randle, Bart Scott, Jason Peters, and Wes Welker. I cannot believe you don't understand the concept that the higher you pick in the draft, the better your chance of landing a good player. Yes, gems are found throughout the draft, but compare those names that we threw out there to the ones that didn't pan out. The success rate is much higher at the top of the draft.
    6th round and beyond? The guys I named were drafted in the 2nd... but I doubt you bothered to look that up, just wanted to send off some snotty comment and call my statements "retarded"... huh, I wonder if you'll be banned for that?

Doubt it.

Which is odd...
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

tastywaves is online now Ring of Fame
    v

6th round and beyond? The guys I named were drafted in the 2nd... but I doubt you bothered to look that up, just wanted to send off some snotty comment and call my statements "retarded"... huh, I wonder if you'll be banned for that?

Doubt it.

Which is odd...
    With the personnel we have in place today making selections in the draft. I think we are better off keeping the picks as high as possible and getting as close to a "sure" thing as there is. If we had a more competent staff that could be trusted to make solid picks throughout every round, then your point makes a lot of sense as we do have a lot of needs. I'm more in favor of keeping the high first round pick and selecting the best player available, whether it's Kalil, Blackmon or Claiborne.

There is also an argument that can be made for picking up a Luck, Barkely, or RGIII as well. I think Christian has shown good potential and "could" be our long term answer. But if the staff has a lot of questions marks, it may not be out of the question to take one of these guys. I would much prefer to believe that Christian is the answer so we can address our plethora of needs, but the position is too important not to consider.

Wherever we pick. We should take Kalil if available. we should not draft a wr with first pick, no way. Our whole draft should be to shore up some weak areas of team. such as OL, DB, defensive depth. I think we should find a wr in FA. Our Ol is pathetic. should draft 2 OL with 2 of first 3 picks.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I haven't had time to look it up but how many SB teams in the past 20 years had a LT that the team drafted in the top 3-4 picks?

My guess is it is pretty low compared to WR,DB etc.

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I haven't had time to look it up but how many SB teams in the past 20 years had a LT that the team drafted in the top 3-4 picks?

My guess is it is pretty low compared to WR,DB etc.
    How many Superbowl contenders ever draft in the top 3-4 picks?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast