AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

US Elections and Stadium issue

Question for the minnesotans on the site here from someone outside of the State and US.
    Without getting into the party politics- is there any indications, based on the results locally this week, on how the State and local politicians may be towards the stadium issue?
    was it something that came up at all or not ?
    From the campaigning that took place are there any clues as to future policies or views on the whole matter?
    I'm just curious as I wasn't sure how much local issues may have been discussed or raised during these mid-term elections.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: US Elections and Stadium issue

"AngloVike" wrote:
    Question for the minnesotans on the site here from someone outside of the State and US.
    Without getting into the party politics- is there any indications, based on the results locally this week, on how the State and local politicians may be towards the stadium issue?
    was it something that came up at all or not ?
    From the campaigning that took place are there any clues as to future policies or views on the whole matter?
    I'm just curious as I wasn't sure how much local issues may have been discussed or raised during these mid-term elections.
    Singer can probably tell you more about particular politicians.

But that issue NEVER came up in any ads or major articles that I saw.
    Lots of other stuff for them to talk about (I suppose - attack ads are inane) when stumping for votes.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Re: US Elections and Stadium issue

The Democrats won the majority in both the House and Senate which was previously split, and that is not good news for the stadium!
    But Tim Pawlenty won reelection and remains the Governor of Minnesota and he is for the Viking stadium.

The big problem:

The previous majority leader in the Senate for the Dem's was Dean Johnson who at least was open minded about the stadiums and working with the Vikings.
    The new majority leader is Larry Pogemiller who some of you might remember was the senator that tried to kill the Twins stadium by adding all kinds of non related issues to the Twins stadium bill to kill it.
    He went on a local talk show with PA & Dubay, and Dubay tore him apart (it was Hilarius) but he is definitely anti stadium.

This does not bode will for the Viking stadium at all and could kill the Viking stadium on the Senate floor, or in committee.

Some good news is that in Anoka County enough County Commissioners won reelection that were for the stadium financing without a referendum by the voters and should keep the financing by a 0.0075 sales tax in place (every $100.00 you spend in Anoka 75 cents would go to fund the stadium).
    This should keep the Viking stadium in Blaine alive if it can get through the Senate and the House, but that is a big if!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.