Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    lakehubertviking is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    You do realize that players that were key in helping us get those 10 wins are no longer with the team.
    To be fair, you could probably go through the roster changes of most of the playoff teams (Ravens/49ers most notably) from last year and say the same thing. I'm not arguing that we didn't lose some talented players, but such is the nature of the business. The Vikes did manage to keep some key performers as well, and added talent to their worst position while subtracting from a rival.

I guess I just like to lean more toward the positive purple tinted future outlook and save my negativity for those losing Sunday afternoons.

NFL Free-Agent Tracker - ESPN

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    My problem with Urlacher is that he's so temporary of a fix at MLB. He's been dinged up a lot lately and only has a year or two left in the tank...I guess I'd just really like to see some sort of future brought in there whether its Minter or Ogletree in the first, maybe Te'o or Alonso in the 2nd, or Bostic, Reddick or Johnson in the 3rd. And get a first year under their belts while Singletary is still with us.
    Which is exactly why I'd want him. We have a hole at MLB that could be immediately filled by Urlacher this year while a young guy is brought in to learn from him & eventually replace him.

I think many people overlook the importance of having a quality veteran on the team that players look up to & learn from. God knows it appears a lot of our position coaches aren't some of the better ones around. Singletary is one of those exceptions, but having both Urlacher & Singletary on the team this year would help bring the new guy along.

Plus, Urlacher now has an axe to grind against the Bears & he certainly would have the motivation as a Viking to prove them wrong.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    He was coming off a knee injury last year, and still lead the Bears in tackles before a hamstring injury in week 13.
    He knows the system, and I bet he would enjoy the opportunity to play indoors for some of the loudest fans in the NFL.
    I would not be apposed to giving him a 1 year contract that is heavily incentive based. Even if he doesn't work out it would piss off the all the Bears fans, and that has to be worth something.

Could you imagine if the Vikings somehow won a superbowl with Jennings and Urlacher? Pack/Bears fans would go nuts!
    I would go nuts too.

From all my years as a GM of my fantasy football team the thing I learned is that injuries make it difficult to maintain consistancy. It is a risk with big Brian. Do want to take it? I say yes at this point, just don't want to pay a lot.

highdesertvike is offline Training Camp
    If Urlacher would be willing to take on a 1-2 year tutoring gig for our 1st-2nd round draft pick, and do it on the cheap, I'd be all for it. Not sure how realistic that is, but...Urlacher/Singletary does seem like it would be a nice combination to have for a rookie to learn from.

Just sayin'...
    An ugly win is better than a pretty loss.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Bottom line. His knee is shot and he has dramaticly slowed down. He went from the best cover linebacker ever in the cover 2 defense to worse than Brinkley last year.
    He injured his knee at the end of 2011 late in the season in a game against the Vikings, remember?
    He later went to Europe to try an alternative treatment not available in the US, rather than having surgery.
    Last year he missed all the off season activities and his knee flaired up in training camp. resulting in athroscopic surgery.
    Despite the surgery, his play was much slower last year and his knee was the reason. He also had a slight hamstring tear toward the end of the season.
    Urlacher himself has admitted his knee will never be the same.
    There is a reason the Bears don't want him. He's done.

Why would the Vikings want a guy that would be worse than Brinkley ?
    The Vikings need a three down Mike backer. They'll get him in the draft.
    Last edited by smegmavike; 03-22-2013 at 11:59 AM.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    Bottom line. His knee is shot and he has dramaticly slowed down. He went from the best cover linebacker ever in the cover 2 defense to worse than Brinkley last year.
    He injured his knee at the end of 2011 late in the season in a game against the Vikings, remember?
    He later went to Europe to try an alternative treatment not available in the US, rather than having surgery.
    Last year he missed all the off season activities and his knee flaired up in training camp. resulting in athroscopic surgery.
    Despite the surgery, his play was much slower last year and his knee was the reason. He also had a slight hamstring tear toward the end of the season.
    Urlacher himself has admitted his knee will never be the same.
    There is a reason the Bears don't want him. He's done.

Why would the Vikings want a guy that would be worse than Brinkley ?
    The Vikings need a three down Mike backer. They'll get him in the draft.
    I'm with Smegma on this one. Actually, I just like saying Smegma.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    or we could have signed DJ WIlliams like I asked....nope the bears got him. #FireSpielman. lol

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    or we could have signed DJ WIlliams like I asked....nope the bears got him. #FireSpielman. lol
    God this is getting old.

You are free to submit your resume to the Vikings, or any other NFL team you know.

Just because the GM isn't doing EXACTLY what you want (even though you live in an imaginary world in which every offer you make would instantly be accepted with open arms and flowers) doesn't mean that he is wrong and you are right. You might be a great football mind, but you are not the greatest football mind, so check the hubris a bit.

Fire Spielman? Really? This offseason has been a very good one for the Vikings. There are still holes in the roster - and if the season started tomorrow you might have a leg to stand on. But as it turns out, there is still some offseason left. And there is also this thing called a draft, where the Vikings have six picks in the first four rounds, including 2 first rounders. And we have 5 more picks in the last three rounds - giving the Vikings plenty of ammunition to move all over the draft and get the players we are targeting.

It is one thing to complain about Spielman. Some people want to complain, so whatever. But if you actually, truly think that you could do a better job running the team... you are either a football genius whose talent is being wasted at whatever job you have, or you are arrogant and misguided.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    God this is getting old.

You are free to submit your resume to the Vikings, or any other NFL team you know.

Just because the GM isn't doing EXACTLY what you want (even though you live in an imaginary world in which every offer you make would instantly be accepted with open arms and flowers) doesn't mean that he is wrong and you are right. You might be a great football mind, but you are not the greatest football mind, so check the hubris a bit.

Fire Spielman? Really? This offseason has been a very good one for the Vikings. There are still holes in the roster - and if the season started tomorrow you might have a leg to stand on. But as it turns out, there is still some offseason left. And there is also this thing called a draft, where the Vikings have six picks in the first four rounds, including 2 first rounders. And we have 5 more picks in the last three rounds - giving the Vikings plenty of ammunition to move all over the draft and get the players we are targeting.

It is one thing to complain about Spielman. Some people want to complain, so whatever. But if you actually, truly think that you could do a better job running the team... you are either a football genius whose talent is being wasted at whatever job you have, or you are arrogant and misguided.
    "That awkward moment when you miss the lol in a post and take it too seriously."

Seriously, I would have loved to sign DJ Williams but I wouldn't blame Spielman for that. The things I blame him for are things under his control. As I have said already, outside not fixing Allen's contract, cutting Winney and lettign Jasper go, I have been on board with all of his moves this offseason.

Like most... I think I can be a good GM. However, I bet I know only 10% of what the job really ask for. So no... I can't do a better job that Rick...
    Last edited by kevoncox; 03-22-2013 at 05:15 PM.

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Which is exactly why I'd want him. We have a hole at MLB that could be immediately filled by Urlacher this year while a young guy is brought in to learn from him & eventually replace him.

I think many people overlook the importance of having a quality veteran on the team that players look up to & learn from. God knows it appears a lot of our position coaches aren't some of the better ones around. Singletary is one of those exceptions, but having both Urlacher & Singletary on the team this year would help bring the new guy along.

Plus, Urlacher now has an axe to grind against the Bears & he certainly would have the motivation as a Viking to prove them wrong.
    I totally agree Singer. Just the knowledge a young guy would gain from Urlacher for one year would be priceless to the young player. I am sure the Vikings could make room for Urlacher. I wonder how much Urlacher is seeking per year, I heard on nfl network his agent originally went to the bears with like 5 mil a year offer and then the bears waited a couple weeks and then sent back the 2mil year offer?

We paid Carlson 5 mil last year to do nothing.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast