Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Flair Hay is offline Rookie
    The more I think about it the more I think we'll be going with what we have. Spielman has hinted that Cole has developed to the point of trying to EARN a spot there in pre-season. If one of Cole or Hodges impresses enough to be starter at either position Henderson can man the other. If after 3 weeks both dont look ready, THEN go with a veteran off the street.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Flair Hay View Post
    Put it this way, I still remember when PPO's version of 1 vs 100 was the thread about Cedric Griffin being in the running for worst corner in the league and how that turned out pre injury.
    How did that turn out?

Griffin never was a good cover corner even pre-injury. His passes defended were always very low for the number of snaps he faced, and his tackles were up, so it wasn't because quarterbacks feared him. He liked to play off and let most passes get caught in front of him. He sort of played cornerback like a deep safety on a smaller scale.

I lurked here while I was a regular on another board, so I discussed that in length in different places, and I mix up what was posted where sometimes.

As far as Urlacher goes, it did not sound like Rick Spielman had him as a priority when interview on Rosen's Sports Sunday last week. It sounds like Spielman and the coaches want to take an inventory of the linebackers they have in mini-camps before making any more moves at that position.
    Last edited by Minniman; 05-01-2013 at 03:22 PM.

Flair Hay is offline Rookie
    I thought Griffin had become a pretty reliable starting corner. The way I remember it was that when everyone was crapping on him it was because he was playing off his reciever 5 yards every play. Once he started getting in reciever's faces he was actually pretty good. Enough to earn a second contract around 5 or 6 million per. Then he blew out a knee. And the other knee. And he was terrible again. Was just sending out a compliment to Marrdo anyway though lol

I agree on the linebacker situation though. Not sure what the situation is with Mauti's injury but a lot of people who watch more college than me seem to think he has starter talent. So did Greg Childs mind you, but we probably won't know who is where until training camp. Cheers. I've got playoff hockey to watch!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    He went from terrible to just OK. Nothing special.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Flair Hay View Post
    I thought Griffin had become a pretty reliable starting corner. The way I remember it was that when everyone was crapping on him it was because he was playing off his reciever 5 yards every play. Once he started getting in reciever's faces he was actually pretty good. Enough to earn a second contract around 5 or 6 million per. Then he blew out a knee. And the other knee. And he was terrible again. Was just sending out a compliment to Marrdo anyway though lol

I agree on the linebacker situation though. Not sure what the situation is with Mauti's injury but a lot of people who watch more college than me seem to think he has starter talent. So did Greg Childs mind you, but we probably won't know who is where until training camp. Cheers. I've got playoff hockey to watch!
    When he playing was 5 yards of his receiver, so was Winfield. Part of the antiquated prevent Tampa 2 defense.

When he was in the receivers face, so was Winfield. They were playing man-to-man.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I think Singletary might have more gas in the tank than Urlacher does.
    OK, haven't done this in a while, but I just spewed forth coffee all over my monitor.....
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by RK. View Post
    Well I think we just have to trust that the medical staff is capable of giving good advice to the FO. He would have to pass a physical in order to be signed. I am sure they will have a good idea of what he can do and what he can't do and how vulnerable he would be.
    Fair enough, but hasn't that already been done by a medical staff?

The Bores offered him X dollars to come back. Assumption on my part is that the amount offered was directly related to how many games he would/could wind up playing.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    I am not familiar enough with the Bears offer or their cap space or really anything that affected their offer to Urlacher. However the fact that they made him an offer rather than just show him the door says that they thought he could still make a contribution. Unlike we did with Winfield.

WWBGD

Quote Originally Posted by RK. View Post
    I am not familiar enough with the Bears offer or their cap space or really anything that affected their offer to Urlacher. However the fact that they made him an offer rather than just show him the door says that they thought he could still make a contribution. Unlike we did with Winfield.
    This is the best one out there that covers the whole thing from injuries to contract.

Chicago Bears moving forward without Brian Urlacher - ESPN Chicago

I wouldn't quantify a "Slap in the Face" offer as a bar setter for a guy who could still contribute. I think it was a "I'll let you hang around one more year because of what you did for us, but we are moving on" kindof offer.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    I guess it depends then on whether his off season training will let him come back for another year or two. He seems to think it will. People can come back from those things. Just look at AP. Like I said before the medical staff will have to evaluate him. It wasn't the knees that took him out last year it was the hamstring injury. I guess my position is, if he can play I would be happy to have him. If he could give us one year like Favre gave us the first year he was here that would be awesome.

WWBGD

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast