Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 66
  1. #11
    tarkenton10's Avatar
    tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    He might be fine with improved play at the DT position.

    Again, I believe that most of Jaspers issues came when he was caught mugging the line in anticipation for a running play which automatically put him 2 steps out of position for a pass play.


    All MLB's look dumb when that happens.
    I think Cole has Brinkley's skill set but is way more instinctive in the passing game. I really hope that he gets a chance, like I said if he doesn't work out we can go with the scheme of Henderson in the middle, so not much of a risk as most are saying that is what they will do now.

    There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

  2. #12
    Flair Hay is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    87
    Not sure what a 5th round pick is worth salary wise, but Kluwe is as good as gone. Not much of an Urlacher fan either, but other than Dansby there probably isn't anyone better either.

    I think our best bet is to let Erin focus mostly on the Mike in base defense and split time between he and Hodges in the Nickel depending on play calling and opponent matchups. It'll be far from optimal but the Bears, Pack and Lions all have a ways to go before they are running the ball down our throat.. Or killing us with their TEs more than the Tampa 2 already allows them to.

    Erin may struggle in pass coverage like Jasper, but he's also way more of a sure tackler. Our run D might even be better than with Urlacher in there. Who knows though, we still need an injury insurance vet LB anyway so SOMEONE will be coming in.

  3. #13
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928
    Quote Originally Posted by Flair Hay View Post
    Not sure what a 5th round pick is worth salary wise, but Kluwe is as good as gone. Not much of an Urlacher fan either, but other than Dansby there probably isn't anyone better either.

    I think our best bet is to let Erin focus mostly on the Mike in base defense and split time between he and Hodges in the Nickel depending on play calling and opponent matchups. It'll be far from optimal but the Bears, Pack and Lions all have a ways to go before they are running the ball down our throat.. Or killing us with their TEs more than the Tampa 2 already allows them to.

    Erin may struggle in pass coverage like Jasper, but he's also way more of a sure tackler. Our run D might even be better than with Urlacher in there. Who knows though, we still need an injury insurance vet LB anyway so SOMEONE will be coming in.
    WHAT THE HELLL????????? Someone I don't have on a spreadsheet of any sort.

    Top shelf my friend, top shelf indeed. Just added you to several spreadsheets, including the one titled ...."Those that have a clue"

    Especially love your point about going into camp with what we have and let them focus on their roles. It makes alot more sense than going into the season with Urpacker and then having to adjust after week 3 or 4.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  4. #14
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    LOL, I didn't say my options were optimal. Fact is, as I said, I wouldn't have let Jasper go because of how hard it was going to be to find a replacement.

    Quick question, what happens if ole Urpacker does get signed with the last of our money and he winds up not being able to go after week 3 or 4 because it is very possible that his knees will go on him (again).

    Then were are we?

    Nope, either run the rookie out there, run Erin out there with the Rookie at OLB or bring someone in (no matter what his experience is) that is healthy because in the end, you are still building this team.

    More importantly, we only have our Mike out there for 40% of the snaps. Improvement on the DL will help with about 30% of those snaps.
    Anyone could get injured, Urlacher has missed 4 games total the last 3 season.
    I really don't think we are so tight against the cap that we couldn't afford 2-4million for a player of need.

  5. #15
    midgensa's Avatar
    midgensa is offline Jersey Retired Free Kick Specialist 3 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,312
    Dead on JMC. It is obvious that Urlacher would make our team BETTER. There is little argument to that.
    If someone wants to argue that there is someone else out there more preferable due to whatever reason ... that is fine. But the team as it currently sits would benefit from the addition of Brian Urlacher.
    I think we should certainly pursue it. A one year fix, see if he can't help any of the younger guys. Sure, he is a dick who might not help them directly, but they would learn from him being around I think.
    And most importantly ... I think he is a significant upgrade over what we currently have at the position right now.

  6. #16
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,279
    What do you think of starting Tim Tebow in the middle?

  7. #17
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,869
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    What do you think of starting Tim Tebow in the middle?
    Would we have to see him Tebowing every time he made a tackle?

  8. #18
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,279
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Would we have to see him Tebowing every time he made a tackle?
    I would assume so.

  9. #19
    Flair Hay is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    87
    Haha thanks Marr. I'm more of a long term lurker that got into the technical side of the game the past year or so. Not a whole ton of that kind of info for casual fans in Canada.

    Put it this way, I still remember when PPO's version of 1 vs 100 was the thread about Cedric Griffin being in the running for worst corner in the league and how that turned out pre injury.

    More on topic, Urlacher made some big plays (2 TDs last year?) due largely to his experience and instincts but overall he was more of a run liability than ever before. Especially with Hodges (excels in man coverage for LB) and Rhodes (press man beast) we'll be playing more man coverage out of the base defense than we have for a long time. Urlacher also struggles far more than he used to in man against backs. Henderson will never be confused with Derrick Brooks in coverage but he's probably as good at this aspect as Urlacher at this point in his career. Not to mention if he really struggles more than we expect we have a 4th rounder tailor made for the nickel role.

    or... AUDIE MF COLE

  10. #20
    midgensa's Avatar
    midgensa is offline Jersey Retired Free Kick Specialist 3 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,312
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    I would assume so.
    Then I am honestly all for it.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •