Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Upset by report, Vikings organize TV station boycott

Upset by report, Vikings organize TV station boycott

From The Tribune (San LuisObispo.com)
    Posted on Fri, Nov. 04, 2005

DAVE CAMPBELL

Associated Press

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. - Minnesota Vikings players have encouraged teammates to boycott a Twin Cities TV station in response to a report Thursday night related to the infamous boat party.

At least 10 signs - reading "Boycott Channel 5" above a red circle/slash through the KSTP-TV logo - were posted in the locker room Friday.

After getting a tip that offensive tackle Bryant McKinnie and running back Mewelde Moore were seen dumping garbage at a construction site near their Eden Prairie homes, KSTP reporter Kristin Stinar rummaged through the dumpster and discovered trash belonging to McKinnie.

Remnants of a party were found, including a list of several female names and incoming flight times handwritten on Vikings stationery. But McKinnie said the garbage was a result of a gathering he had at his home two weeks before the infamous cruise. Moore said he ran out of room for his trash in his own bin.

"It was just a lame way of getting viewers to watch the show," McKinnie said.

The Vikings were angry about an invasion of privacy. McKinnie was interviewed at his front door, and Stinar approached Moore in his garage.

"We don't condone boycotting any media outlet," vice president for public affairs Lester Bagley said, "but we understand the players are upset.

"This organization, from ownership on down, was upset with the tactics of KSTP. ... Digging through someone's garbage and ambushing them at their door is harassment. It's not journalism."

KSTP news director Chris Berg stood by the story.

"It was fair, accurate and balanced," he said.

KSTP, an ABC affiliate, has an hourlong pregame feature program on Sunday mornings during the season, and coach Mike Tice has an exclusive contract to appear on a half-hour wrapup show each week after the games.

"We're disappointed ... but we will continue to treat the Minnesota Vikings organization and players fairly, the way we have always done," Berg said.

The investigation into allegations that several players were involved in sexual misconduct has been going on for nearly a month.

Moore is the only player who has publicly acknowledged being on the boat, but he has denied that there was any wrongdoing. The crew's lawyer has said some players apologized for behavior, which allegedly included visible sexual activity. Owner Zygi Wilf has vowed to hand out appropriate punishment

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

akvikefan89 is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Upset by report, Vikings organize TV station boycott

Good for Them.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

B*tch was just jealous that she wasn't getting any play from the Vikings players!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

That's a violation of personal rights. Who cares what was in the garbage after they tore it apart. I hope they do boycott!

CynicalVike is offline Starter

Well, if the members here at P.P.O. are as upset with KSTP as the players are, we should all boycott them too, or maybe create a internet pettition we can all sign onto that would express our displeasure with them. In case anyone hasn't already noticed, P.P.O. is a partner with KSTP. We should be able to get our message across if we want.

I personally think they are the worst station in the Twin Cities and can honestly say I never watch any of their programing, especiaslly the news. Of course that might explain them doing this story too. They have been sucking hind tit in the arbitron ratings for sooooooo looong they must have felt it was needed in order to get anyone to even notice them on the tube.
    I used to be indecisive, now I m not so sure!

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

i think the report was an invasion of privacy. going to the front door of one of the girls, finding players at thier homes, thats something you do to murderers or childmolestors.

digging through trash. :roll:

i wont watch channel five anytime soon. including vikings pregame or postgame or whatever they run. ill encourage my friends to do the same.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

Lotza is offline Team Alumni

good.

Go vikes!!

I agree . Channel 5 just will not let this story die. I mean really can they just lay off. They have all these Viking shows on their station and then they go and do these damaging stories. Who is the marketing genius that thought this one up? They are srounging for anything cause their ratings are so low. Their anchors blow(sans Dave Dahl) :roll:

I'm exercising my ass by doing flexing exercises while typing. Prophet 3:42pm March 16, 2007
    "If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given us arms." Mike Ditka

"countrygirl" wrote:
    I agree . Channel 5 just will not let this story die. I mean really can they just lay off. They have all these Viking shows on their station and then they go and do these damaging stories. Who is the marketing genius that thought this one up? They are srounging for anything cause their ratings are so low. Their anchors blow(sans Dave Dahl) :roll:
    This is why;

Posted on Thu, Nov. 03, 2005

Ratings race narrows for KARE, WCCO
    KARE-TV Channel 11's late news once again finished at the top of the ratings heap during the October "sweeps" period, but there are indications that the race between the local NBC affiliate and WCCO-TV Channel 4 may be tightening.

KARE posted a 13.3 rating and a 23 share last month, putting it barely a single rating point ahead of second-place 'CCO (12.2 rating /22 share).

KMSP-TV Channel 9 (6.4 rating /10 share, for its 9 p.m. newscast) and KSTP-TV Channel 5 (6.0 rating /12 share) finished well behind the two leaders.

In the May ratings book, Channel 11's late news led WCCO by almost 3 rating points and 5 share points.

The two stations have also teeter-tottered at 6 o'clock. WCCO won the battle in October; its 6 p.m. news show finished the month with a 9.2 rating and a 21 share. KARE's mid-evening news posted a 7.4 rating and a 17 share. KSTP again trailed with a 4.6 rating and a 10 share.

The "rating" refers to the percentage of all homes with televisions tuned to a specific program. The "share" number is the percentage of viewers watching television at a specific time tuned to a particular program. Nielsen Media Research conducts the surveys of television viewing habits. — Pioneer Press

IMO, the reason they threw their trash away somewhere other than there homes is because they already have had people dumpster diving through their trash at home.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast