Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade at QB!

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Upgrade at QB!

Come on now, be Honest!

How many of us were worried about losing Frerote in the offseason.

Who would have thought at the time that we lost Gus that we would be fortunate enough to get a guy like Brad?

Re: Upgrade at QB!

I know I was worried. Then we signed Johnson and the reviews were mixed.

The way I see it(hindsight), we upgraded at back up QB big time. We lost youth and gained a ton of experience in the signing of Brad Johnson. Gus can't even stay on the field this season.

I was totally worried in the offseason about Brad's play last season in TB, he got benched to be replaced by Griese and he wasn't hitting the WR, he was hitting the DBs.

His efficient play this season has been impressive so far.

Del Rio Guest

I wasn't worried about losing Gus after I learned Brad was coming back. I also figured Brad would just be a back up and I was eager to see him work with Culpepper and help him become a better QB.

I will admit I had no idea he would have this type of impact. Of course after week two I was calling for him. I knew he would be better then what we had, but I had no idea he would be able to pull the loose ends together like he has.

Prophet Guest

I was concerned when Frerote left and was ok with the BJ signing. BJ is doing a great job in his backup role too, no doubt about that. Hill and O'Sullivan make me nervous though.

jimmymac is offline Pro-Bowler

I've always liked Brad. He never should have left the Vikings but he did well with Chucky in Tampa Bay.

In case anyone cares, Jim Rome said he might have an interview with Johnson on his radio show during the next hour or two.
    -- Sarcasm always turned on --

I was alright with the signing of Brad too, but I remember saying, "he is only going to back up DC. What a back up to have, hopefully he doesn't have to play." It sounded something like that.

When Gus left for Miami, it was a big "?", we could have been stuck with Hill and a draft pick, or Jeff George who didn't even break into the bears QB rotation.

All I am trying to say is that we are very fortunate, even with all of our injuries to key players, we are fortunate. I also have to add that the coaches did a good job courting free agents, Brad included.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

BJ is THE MAN!!! Let's get him another Super Bowl ring...and a trophy for the Vikings while we're at it!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

QB situation: Phillip Rivers (??)

The thought occurred to me, could the Vikings go after Phillip Rivers in the offseason ? I mean, I am not saying it is a good idea, but given C-pepper's injury, and Brad being 37, might it be a good idea to land Rivers ?

I am just "throwing this out there", so feel free to tell me I am going down the wrong path. I don't mind, I am just curious as to what you guys think about that.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

i knew that BJ was an upgrade from gus before the season started. gus really isnt that good, and BJ is a former superbowl champion.
    We're bringing purple back.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: QB situation: Phillip Rivers (??)

i was thinking about this during the chargers game yesterday. i have no idea how we would get him, but its an idea. assuming BJ will retire, we will need a solid backup to daunte just in case if he isnt ready by the time the season comes around. there is no way we trade away daunte as he is the face of the franchise and i love him. also rivers has a fairly big contract, so we would have to dumb salary else where.
    We're bringing purple back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast