Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    PacNWVike is offline Team Alumni

Unusual Places to View/Listen to a Game?

"dan3ski" wrote:
    I remember trying to listen to the Vikes - Pittsburg superbowl while lying in my bunk in Germany but it was like 3 am and I kept drifting in and out of sleep waking up when the announcers got excited on a big play.
    The Pittsburg/Vikes Superbowl... a heartbreaker. We were in THAT game more than the score showed.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    Edmund Burke

dan3ski is offline Coordinator

I do remember the play in that game where Tarkenton threw a pass it got batted down and he cought the ball and ran with it to bad the catch was not allowed and the Vikes recieved a penality for that.
    can we clone Bud Grant?

"dan3ski" wrote:
    I do remember the play in that game where Tarkenton threw a pass it got batted down and he cought the ball and ran with it to bad the catch was not allowed and the Vikes recieved a penality for that.
    I remember an interview of Mean Joe Greene where he told the story of being blindsided and knocked off his feet when he was trying to nail the Viking RB. He became enraged, rolled over to clobber the offending Viking and saw little Tarkenton getting up! Greene said he started laughing so hard he couldn't get up, much less try to hurt Fran. :lol:
    Edmund Burke

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Unusual Places to View/Listen to a Game?

"PacNWVike" wrote:
    For me, 1976/77, sitting on an Air Force radar scope at Rockville, Iceland watching for Russian bombers and listening to the Vikes on the Armed Forces Radio and Television service. We didn't have all that fancy satelite stuff back in the stone age so we had radio! :lol:
    ah the good old AFN Europe , that was a challenge trying to tune in then hope that the signal didn't waver too much - especially as I wasn't in a strong reception area for it.... then the joy finding out that the game that week was the Vikes
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

For me an unusual place to see the game where it wasnt shown at home was at this bar/restaurant where all it had was browns and steelers fans. I was watching the vikes/saints game a few years back and had to face 5 othe saints fans with absolutely no viking fans what so ever in that place. I had to cheer to myself as no one else was a fan. It was quite embarrassing cheering and howling with eveyone else looking at me since im the only one.

Of course now i have found the right bar/restaurant to go to with lot of other viking fans down here.
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

For me the strangest place would proably be in the good old US of A, as I am not there much and everywhere else it is to late, or just not avalible...

As it is right now ccasion5: you guys and girls are it :wav: the only way I can really find out who's who's in the zoo and whats up... I am about 2 hrs ahead of Anglo who is about 6 hrs ahead of you all in CST...sometimes finding a pub is kind of hard that will watch american foot ball, and if they do you can't watch because you have to commentate and explain, the satelite services offered doesn't carry and by that time the radio is playing Bazoki music (greek folk) so I either sit in front of the ISDN connection or wait and see..

Of course the little russian dosen't understand why I sit infront of the screen and shout obsinities :violent3: at 0300 in the morning but she is understanding at least one day a week
    Yesterday is History
    Tomorrow a Mystery
    TODAY is a GIFT that is why WE
    call it the "PRESENT"

Re: Unusual Places to View/Listen to a Game?

"AngloVike" wrote:
    "PacNWVike" wrote:
    For me, 1976/77, sitting on an Air Force radar scope at Rockville, Iceland watching for Russian bombers and listening to the Vikes on the Armed Forces Radio and Television service. We didn't have all that fancy satelite stuff back in the stone age so we had radio! :lol:
    ah the good old AFN Europe , that was a challenge trying to tune in then hope that the signal didn't waver too much - especially as I wasn't in a strong reception area for it.... then the joy finding out that the game that week was the Vikes
    Luckily for us, back in the mid to late 70s the Vikes were always in the running for the Superbowl. Dynasties were built by excellent coaching and scouting... then came free agency
    Edmund Burke

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

On a TDY to the demilitarized zone in Korea me and my buddies listened to the 2001 Monday Night Football between the Vikes and Giants on AFN Radio. There was heavy snow that day and we were all huddled inside the barracks. It may have been the worst season in Vikings history that I can remember but that game was just plain awesome. Was a great boost to morale for me anyway, not so much to my New York friend
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12