Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BlackJosh is offline Training Camp

Unorthodox Draft Picks

I would like, if we get a mid first round draft pick (to high to take one of the dominant linemen, too low to take a flier on Setterstrom, who we could use but isn't worth a mid first round pick) to see if we take a look at Devin Hester...

And I know what you are all thinking. "Why draft another CB?" Very true...however, I'm not looking at it from that perspective. This kid is a dynamite athlete. We could use him at dime or nickel back, sure, but that's not why we need a guy like this. We haven't had a special teams stud for a long time on this team. We need a guy who can go out there, return punts and kicks, cover kicks and punts, and play on the field goal block squad and actually make a difference on the edge. Plus, this kid could make an impact on certain plays on offense as well. Running screens and end arounds with a guy like this...I'd love it. Just an absolutely amazing athlete and i'm always enamored with this guys in football. I'm not saying we should draft him, but it would be an interesting choice to say the least. What do you guys say? (this is all, of course, based on the premise that he goes pro as well, which he may not do). What are some other interesting athletes or unorthodox fits for this team you see out there as well?

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Unorthodox Draft Picks

You don't take Hester in the first round because as of right now at least you could get him in the second or maybe even the third round!!

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

twilliamson1914 is offline Training Camp

"tarkenton10" wrote:
    You don't take Hester in the first round because as of right now at least you could get him in the second or maybe even the third round!!
    Exactly u want to get the steal of the draft but not wasting a first round pick on it

Mid First round wouldn't be too high for the lineman in this upcoming draft. We also need a running back. Special teams has actially been one of the lone bright spots this year.

From what I've seen he's been projected as a first rounder...but then even better as a 2nd rounder...then mid 2nd round...I just think this guy is such an amazing athlete if we have a chance to draft him with an appropriate pick...I'd be quite interested in seeing us do it.

double post

fred3105 is offline Coordinator

Devin Hester wont come out since he cant even start on his own college team. He has a lot of work to do at CB, but if he did come out this year I think someone would pick him early to mid 2nd round.
    http://homepage.mac.com/vijayr/PSU/MM05PSU2.mov (Mario Manningham)

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

This draft is very OT deep, we could get a really good one in the middle of the first round. Not to mention our special teams have been a lot better this year, and is not as pressing need as a feature back or O-line help. I wouldn't mind getting a good linebacker either.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

fred3105 is offline Coordinator

If we are picking in the middle of round one I really dont think an OT would be a good pick. The top OT's are really starting to fall and there is not really an OT worth picking at about 15, unless Winston was to fall or Joe Thomas was to come out. I think a better bet would be to wait possibly to the 3rd and try to get Marcus Mcneill
    http://homepage.mac.com/vijayr/PSU/MM05PSU2.mov (Mario Manningham)

Devin Hester wont come out since he cant even start on his own college team. He has a lot of work to do at CB, but if he did come out this year I think someone would pick him early to mid 2nd round.
    Very true, he's quite the project...but he's also quite the prospect. He could easily go earlier a la other project players like Matt Jones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast