BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

The UNOFFICIAL "Ted Cottrell Blows Goats" Thread

Sorry about that, Webby. I figured I had superceded my authority (or, more correctly, lack thereof).

In any case, since Ted Cottrell sucks whether Webby sanctions this thread as official or not, I'll continue along those same lines. I'll refresh everybody's memory as to what I was saying.

"BBQ Platypus" wrote:
    Okay. I will now tell you exactly why you all are completely, hopelessly wrong, IMHO.

First, we've been drafting defensive players for the last few years. We have many of the same personnel that we had last year, when we were one of the top defenses in terms of turnovers. This year, we have forced very few turnovers. We had an opportunistic defense last year. This year, our defense sucks at everything, just like it did before O'Leary came along.

Second, I don't buy that "he can't turn everything around in one year" argument. O'Leary did a great job of turning our defense around. He dramatically improved our turnover margin in just one year. He made a huge impact on our defense. Cottrell has also made an impact this year. I'm amazed at how many things he has ****ed up this year. It really shows you what a coordinator can do for (or to) a team.

Third, Buffalo is a lot BETTER now that Cottrell's gone. They have made an improvement in total defense since he left. This is because of his conservative (read: idiotic) play-calling (if you can call it that). He doesn't call nearly enough blitz packages. The incredible amount of talent on Buffalo's defense made him look better, and they are now one of the top defenses in the league now that he's gone.

Finally, I agree that the linebackers are underachieving. I couldn't agree with you more completely. I see them miss just as many tackles now as they did at the beginning of the season. They desperately need to improve, and they already should have done it by this point in the season.

Oh, and coincidentally, Ted Cottrell is also the linebackers coach. Hmmm ... I'm beginning to see a pattern here ...

In closing, the main reason that this defense erased all the progress it made last year and actually became WORSE is none other than your main man Ted "Mr. Football" Cottrell.

SKOL ANYWAY!!!

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

I am not even going to read this entire thread. Why? Because you state,
    "Is there any moron out there who disagrees with what I said?" So, if I , or anybody, disagree we are a moron? You have all the answers and we should all agree with you so we are not morons? ATTENTION PP Users: Agree with everything that BBQ pus is saying or you are a moron!
    Here is the way I see things. This thread = locked! Not a good way to start off!

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

Sorry about that. You're right. I shouldn't insult my fellow fans. I could have found a better way to encourage debate on the topic.

Ignore the moron part. I'm deleting it from the post.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

socalVIKEfan is offline Waterboy

Cottrell....

has not been with the Bills since 1989, I believe.
    I disagree with you.
    Does that make me a moron?
    I do think he is not the right DC for this team, however.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

I think we either need a new D-coordinator (hopefully not, bacause I am sick of cycling through them), or we need to focus on getting players who fit his system.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Cottrell....

"socalVIKEfan" wrote:
    has not been with the Bills since 1989, I believe.
    I disagree with you.
    Does that make me a moron?
    I do think he is not the right DC for this team, however.
    Where ya been? 1 post per month average is unacceptable :wink:

I heard a so cal vike fan on KFAN radio (Vikes flagship station) Tuesday a.m. Apparently he listens via the web. Sounded like an intelligent guy. That you?

I have to go with italian on this one though. The revolving door for DC's has to stop. Let's just get some players and keep them healthy.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman